*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #181
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Yeah.. I'm a believer in at least one diagonal (preferably an X) in a cage to keep it from "racking" over to one side. I've seen cages without a diagonal withstand a pretty good roll but usually you'll see it deformed afterwards whereas the cages with Xs hold up to repeated rolls/flops. Even at the expense of interior space, the cage for my CJ5 is gonna have an X in it.
hmmmm, how about a honeycomb, ie hexagon, shaped B-pillar? or even put the hex inside the pillar, which would probably be easier. something like this

you should retain quite a bit of strength like the X pattern, but you could still access the rear fairly easily. or even build in a single seat in the middle of the rear for a 3rd passenger without them having a set of cage members in their lap. who's feeling adventurous?

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #182
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Build it out of toothpicks to see how rigid it is..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #183
55willystruck

I'm still working on adding onto the stock rear hoop assembly, though my rig is a daily driver as well, that does need access to the back seat when my boy is in town. I generally run without the rear seat, but on the times that I do have my boy, he rides in the back. What would be the best option to run for side-side strength at this point, knowing that I need rear seat access on occassion? How strong would it be to run one diagonal from the upper corner behind the driver seat, down to the passenger lower footing? He could climb over that bar pretty easily I think. How stout would the cage be though if it took a hit from the passenger side upper corner? Does anybody have any pics of something that would work well for this situation? What about a 3/4 X for the time being-as in a full diagonal from top driver side to passenger foot, then the lower half on the driver side meeting the middle of the solid diagonal bar?

Also, my rig is an LJ, and I'm trying to make my addition work with the hardtop in place, and all factory features still working-as in seatbelts, window cranks, dash vents, etc., etc. In the rear of the vehicle where the rear bars angle down to the tub, there is about a foot of room at the top bend between it and the inside of the hard top. My plan here was to bend a tube in this fashion - \_/ , coming in slightly from each side, then shooting strait across the back. At each angle of the bends, I was then planning on running a strait bar down to the rear footing on each side, so from the back, it would look kinda like this: |/ \| My thought was I would have some angled pieces with support on the top rear bent section across the far back of the rig, yet still be able to access the tub area and all my gear. Does this sound OK, or would it be a waste of time/materials?

And, is there a thread or something in specific to look for to go about building frame-tie ins? How do you go about installing bushings between the tub, or what's the recommended way to tie into the frame?

Sorry for the dumb questions-trying to build something that will have at least some function to it based off my needs at the time, and hold up if needed. Definitely lots of good info in this thread.

Thanks very much,

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #184
dd214

reason to get or build a cage

http://www.stu-offroad.com/images/vid/tracyroll.mpg

a vid of a nasty roll at hells revenge moab...they lived
dd214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #185
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Been working on a simple cage for the wife's (okay.. mine, but don't tell her) CJ5. Still have to add an X, shoulder harness bar and tie it into frame. Also just shot in Herc..

.. also cut the wheelwell a little to move the driver's seat back..

..wheelwell underside. You can also see the 1/4" thick angle that I used to bolt into for the main pillar. I'll tie this plate into the frame..

Mounted the seats to the cage.. seats were given to me by a buddy. Came out of his TJ..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #186
NOVACAIN350
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is there an inexpensive bender availabe to make these with?
NOVACAIN350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #187
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

any pics/suggestions for xj cage???
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #188
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVACAIN350
Is there an inexpensive bender availabe to make these with?
You can buy plans on ebay to make your own. You still have to buy the die however. That is the expensive part.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #189
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj
You can buy plans on ebay to make your own. You still have to buy the die however. That is the expensive part.
I got some plans off ebay and built my own bender-and yes, the die IS the expensive part!!! The bender I built is under rated though for 1.75"x.120 DOM tube-it uses a 12ton jack, which would be much better suited with a 20 ton setup. Plans stated they were good for this size tube, but once received, it was noted that 1.25" was the maximum. That size I can believe, but the 1.75" that I thought would work, doesn't very well. Has really made for a difficult time with building my own cage addition. The bender itself was cheap, as I already had basically all the material to build it, but like mentioned the die was expensive at around $240. You'd have to modify the plans, and overbuild it as well to make it work good for 1.75" tube.

Check out Pro-Tools for some decent benders. They have "hot deals", or specials at times that really are a great buy. The model 105 bender runs around $600"ish" for the complete setup with 1 die of your choice in size. I found a Christmas "Racer Special" that had the bender itself with I believe it was 5 die sizes and a copy of Bend Tech basic for $999 or something like that. Considering the dies are $200+ each, that was a great deal. Every now and then, they have something good on special that's worth checking out.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #190
StevenH

I got this front cage kit from www.essentiallyoffroad.com

StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #191
zachv
Web Wheeler

SteveH, are you going to add a dash bar in there? They are really needed in a flop to add any strucural integrity.
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #192
StevenH

Thanks for the comment.... yes I will be adding a dash bar, some gusseting, frame tie ins, maybe an X at the main hoop, rear bars and I'm thinking about plating the top in the middle and maybe gun drilling it. I agree it's definately not finished but it's a start.

I also plan on tieing the seats to the cage from underneath the floorboard, I have never seen it done that way but I am going to try it, maybe it's never been thought of before.
Unread 05-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #193
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH
I also plan on tieing the seats to the cage from underneath the floorboard, I have never seen it done that way but I am going to try it, maybe it's never been thought of before.

Interesting. One thing I think is worth mentioning though.. in a super hard roll (like at highway speed), it wouldn't be hard for the body to separate from the frame. In that case, your seat mounting bracketry could (depending on how you design it) rip off. I prefer the "in-tub" style of running the tubes along the floor, tying between the pillars and mounting the seats to the "in-tub" cage work. That way, should a separation take place, you're in a caged-in "capsule" separated from the frame/drivetrain. Just something to consider when you design/fab it.

As for benders.. I believe you pretty much get what you pay for. I dished out about $600 for my Model 3 a couple years ago. That was for the bender and a 1.75"x5.5" die. No handle, no pedestal. I bought a $90 18" inch stroke air over hydraulic cylinder off eBay and used about $50 in scrap steel to make my own bending cart. It's on wheels, serves as a small table, has storage space under it it and bending is as simple as squeezing the handle. It's a little slower than manual bending but a whole lot easier and I think it's more accurate. Plus, once I'm done bending, I just push the cart out of the way. So, if you're crafty (I assume all reading this post are or else you wouldn't be in the fabrication section), for less than $800 you can have yourself a hydraulic bender that will do 1.75"x.188" DOM to at least 90 degrees (that's all I needed to bend it).. while you stand there squeezing the handle drinking a beer.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 06-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #194
StevenH

The way I was thinking about doing is running the seat bars directly under the body and putting brackets down there for the seats.. but thinking about it more the seat doesn't need to be on the risers anyway they will just crumble in an impact won't they?
Unread 06-04-2007, 07:16 AM   #195
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH
The way I was thinking about doing is running the seat bars directly under the body and putting brackets down there for the seats.. but thinking about it more the seat doesn't need to be on the risers anyway they will just crumble in an impact won't they?
Probably. I've seen some pretty mangled seat risers... just from wheeling.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.