*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 03-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #166
Phat Jeeps

Keep this rollin, send more pics!

Phat Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #167
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv
We just finished this a little while ago.

I'm really liking this one.. You've got some other similar ones on your site that are pretty sweet as well. I'm wanting to do something similar to this soon with a prerunner style tire carrier in the back... Kinda like the red one on your site, but with the tire lower.
Unread 03-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #168
DeltaSigCJ5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Cj5

Hey all... Newbie here! I just bought myself a '74 CJ5 and I am looking to build a cage. I want to keep my back seat and I want to know that I'll be safer than the stock roll bar when I do something stupid. Anyone have pics of a simple CJ5 cage. Preferrably and add-on. I just bought myself an HEI dist and some 5 point harnesses. I can't wait to get started. Any pics would be greatly appreciated! I am a college student so money is an issue!

Ryan
DeltaSigCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 02:11 AM   #169
dd214

how thick

it might be somewhere on this topic ... but how thick of round bar is effective when building a cage .....thanks
dd214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #170
zachv
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd214
it might be somewhere on this topic ... but how thick of round bar is effective when building a cage .....thanks
Most commonly used tube is 1.75ODx.120" wall. Also used a bunch is 1.5x.120".
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #171
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've followed some arguments saying that the tub should be isolated from the chassis because of flex and whatnot, but doesn't this become a non-issue once you start tying the cage in? If so, at what point?

Background:

In talking to people about my plan to tie my tube fenders into the radiator hoop up front (with 6 points tied in behind the firewall with either the rad hoop or fender tied through the firewall). Their immediate reaction is that my jeep will explode into shards of twisted metal because of chassis flex and fatigue.

Am I correct in assuming there's NO WAY I'm going to get enough movement for fatigue to become an issue? This is coming from not only wheelers, but who I'd consider experienced fabricators.

Am I missing something?
Unread 03-13-2007, 10:26 AM   #172
zachv
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaho
I've followed some arguments saying that the tub should be isolated from the chassis because of flex and whatnot, but doesn't this become a non-issue once you start tying the cage in? If so, at what point?

Background:

In talking to people about my plan to tie my tube fenders into the radiator hoop up front (with 6 points tied in behind the firewall with either the rad hoop or fender tied through the firewall). Their immediate reaction is that my jeep will explode into shards of twisted metal because of chassis flex and fatigue.

Am I correct in assuming there's NO WAY I'm going to get enough movement for fatigue to become an issue? This is coming from not only wheelers, but who I'd consider experienced fabricators.

Am I missing something?
You will be fine. The issue comes when you hard mount say the A-pillar and nothing else. That can cause fatigue, but to be honest, it is hard to say how long even that would take to make a problem. When we do cage additions and the customer wants the A-pillar tied to the frame we will use a bushing and we usually use bushings on full cages tied in at 4-6 spots, but my personal rig is hard tied into the frame at 6 points.
570-385-3931--shop
Unread 03-17-2007, 02:31 AM   #173
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaho
Great thread - lets keep this alive.

Anyone have pics of frame tie-ins through tub mounted rockers? Did you also tie the cage into the rocker?
here ye go......
obviously not as pretty as zachs work, but is my first cage!!aswell as the first time using a bender and notcher.....
the rockers are mounted thru the tub, and tied to the frame front n back. the plate at the bottom of my dash bar then bolts to the rocker....if that makes sence?? pm me if you need any other info, as i dont get into the fab section too much, and it probably shows....
and dont blast me out cause of the welds, think i have a kink in the line, the welder is at the local miller dealer as we speak....hoping they are gonna fix it!!
cage-web.jpg
rocker-guards-web.jpg
side-tie-web.jpg

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #174
DeltaSigCJ5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Cost?

Anyone know about how much it would cost to have a stock cj5 roll bar turned into a cage and tied in?
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:48 PM   #175
zachv
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaSigCJ5
Anyone know about how much it would cost to have a stock cj5 roll bar turned into a cage and tied in?
Probably around $600-$700 from most reputable shops.
570-385-3931--shop
Unread 03-22-2007, 01:52 AM   #176
DeltaSigCJ5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv
Probably around $600-$700 from most reputable shops.

But to do it myself? 300?
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #177
zachv
Web Wheeler

Yeah, around there. If you can find a local to make the bends there really are not too many bends that are needed.
570-385-3931--shop
Unread 03-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #178
deebo

This thread was very helpful. I just had my cage done at Carolina Rockshop. I am going to take my 2yr old son out on the trails and I was looking for more safty than the stock cage.

Peter
resize-cage.jpg  
Warn xd9000i on Rokmen Mercenary bumper
BigDaddy rear bumper/tire carrier
33x12.5x15 SS TSL's
5.5 inch Skyjacker lift
Posion Spyder rock sliders w/step
deebo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #179
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any cage without at least one diagonal in the b-pillar is useless. Ninety-nine percent of rollovers land sideways and without any lateral support in the middle, the cage will fold like a wet taco. Doesn't matter what's above everything.

Here is mine. It's 2"x.120, 8 pt straight to the frame, no bushings. It's tied through the rock sliders in the front and tube to the frame in the back. It's been over hard a bunch of times and I'm constantly leaning it into rocks and trees and driving on it. We bent it front to back like a buggy isntead of side to side so it slides really easily. this weekend I dropped the dash bar to the top of the cowl and added windshield support, I'll update this when I get some daylight to take a picture.

1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #180
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Yeah.. I'm a believer in at least one diagonal (preferably an X) in a cage to keep it from "racking" over to one side. I've seen cages without a diagonal withstand a pretty good roll but usually you'll see it deformed afterwards whereas the cages with Xs hold up to repeated rolls/flops. Even at the expense of interior space, the cage for my CJ5 is gonna have an X in it.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.