*Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > *Official* Cage idea/pic/discussion thread

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #136
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

there are several JK customs cages on that page. He is well known for his Land cruiser work.

this cage was one of the main inspirations when well built my cage. I believe the cagework was done by badlands.

tube yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2005, 09:41 PM   #137
BART CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Big Limes Yota big brother

Little QE action.
4" lift, 4 corner DT3000's, 33x12.5R15 TSL on black steel 15x8's (2"b.s.), full cage, [COLOR=Silver]C.C.[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]4X4[/COLOR] 3/16x2x4 rear frame, [COLOR=Silver]C.C.[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]4X4[/COLOR] S.R.S, stretched wheel base, [COLOR=Silver]C.C.[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]4X4[/COLOR] front and rear bash bumpers, work in progress.
BART CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #138
BART CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Looks like nice work but don't these A pillars look a little , well weak?

Shouldn't they be a little straighter? Yah the dual B pillars would hold up a buss, but these "S" A pillars could calapse under load like an endo flop.
4" lift, 4 corner DT3000's, 33x12.5R15 TSL on black steel 15x8's (2"b.s.), full cage, [COLOR=Silver]C.C.[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]4X4[/COLOR] 3/16x2x4 rear frame, [COLOR=Silver]C.C.[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]4X4[/COLOR] S.R.S, stretched wheel base, [COLOR=Silver]C.C.[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]4X4[/COLOR] front and rear bash bumpers, work in progress.
Unread 10-17-2005, 06:45 AM   #139
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I read an article in one of the monthly mags about that Toy.. super nice!

Yeah.. that front pillar looks like it would support as much as a good accordian.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2005, 09:22 AM   #140
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fellas all i see are Red X's on the last couple pics

just another pic for visual stimulation below..................
115-1549_img.jpg  
Unread 10-19-2005, 09:51 AM   #141
BART CJ5
1979 CJ5 

X's weren't there yesterday but are today. Sup wit dat?
Unread 10-19-2005, 11:45 AM   #142
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Sometimes those pic hosting sites will go down temporarily and cause red 'X's.. I see the pics fine now..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 10-20-2005, 02:37 AM   #143
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok, heres another topic to keep this thread going.

Lets Talk about frame tie ins!
Now some people do what i consider a partial frame tie in. they run the front bars down thru the floor to the frame, then usually mount them withh bushings. this makes sense as the roll cage is still attatched to the body.

Now, my idea is to run all 6 points down thru the body and directly to the frame. I was considering bushings at the tie ins, but i am concerned with the strength of that. My thought is to weld the cage directly to the frame. Now, this should re-inforce the frame and stiffen it up. but since it wont be attatched to the body, this shouldnt create any residual effects like body crack or anything. correct?

what do you think about tie ins?
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 04:51 AM   #144
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I made rock sliders out of 2"x4" stock and use that to tie the front pillar legs into the frame. My rear portion of the cage is the style that sits on top of the fenderwells. I have another piece of 2x4 bolted up inside the fenderwell with outriggers running down and inward to the frame. I used to have bushings but have since gone to a harder mounting system. The body is just sandwiched between my cage and my tie in points. I don't really care about body cracking anymore.. I'll post up some pics later..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 10-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #145
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

different cage design pics taken from ----> http://www.defeliceinnovations.com/P...s/Products.htm

and a tie-in taken from ---> www.4x4fabrication.com

rear-20frame-20mount-201.jpg   frame-20tie-.jpg   btb_b2cage.jpg   doi166.jpg   2005_0319image0077.jpg  

Unread 11-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #146
cjjeeper258

I have been pouring over all the info, links, and pictures in this thread and have learned quite a bit. However, I am new to building a roll cage and have a few questions. Bear in mind that I am not doing hill climbing or rock crawling in my present area but I recognize that the stock rollbar on my '78 CJ-7 isn't going to cut it in a rollover.

1. Tie ins. and bolt-ins.

Do the bolt-in cages just bolt to the body? Also I see a lot of tie ins from the frame going up to the body and ending with a plate to which the cage will bolt onto on the other side. This, I think, will be the route I will go but i was wondering if there are any important defects in this design. A set of 4 or more grade 8 bolts would be used in my design to anchor each plate to the other.

2. With the cages that are bolted to the tie ins off the frame, is there a possibility of body stress cracks becoming an issue?

3. Body Seperation
If I get into a serious enough accident, even with my new body bolts and poly bushings, the body may sheer off the frame. My anchor points for my belts and seats then become my concern since if they are attached to the body, I get hurt/killed should the tub and frame part ways. Am I correct in assuming that hte only way to fix this problem is to incorporate the seats and belts into the cage?

4. Design and what is available to me:
I have got this nice stock CJ-7 roll bar in my Jeep right now. I want to keep it where it is but tie it to the frame and add gussets where the tubes meet at the top. Then I want to install a front hoop tied to the frame. Then I plan to install tubing to connect the front and stock rollbar together, which now that I think about it would be similar to a YJ cage. I would incorporate diagonal tubing (triangulation?) to strengthen the cage where ever possible. Can anyone see any possble problems? I think I have covered all the bases, A pillar, B pillar, and strength.

Any input and info is appreciated
cjjeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #147
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Seem to have a well thought out plan for a cage. I'm all for incorporating the seat/harness mounts into the cage. I try to tie my cage in thru the sandwich plates at the body like you describe. However, in an extemely violent roll, there is the chance that the body could separate from the frame. If that happens, I want to stay with the cage.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #148
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjeeper258
I have been pouring over all the info, links, and pictures in this thread and have learned quite a bit. However, I am new to building a roll cage and have a few questions. Bear in mind that I am not doing hill climbing or rock crawling in my present area but I recognize that the stock rollbar on my '78 CJ-7 isn't going to cut it in a rollover.

1. Tie ins. and bolt-ins.

Do the bolt-in cages just bolt to the body? Also I see a lot of tie ins from the frame going up to the body and ending with a plate to which the cage will bolt onto on the other side. This, I think, will be the route I will go but i was wondering if there are any important defects in this design. A set of 4 or more grade 8 bolts would be used in my design to anchor each plate to the other.

2. With the cages that are bolted to the tie ins off the frame, is there a possibility of body stress cracks becoming an issue?

3. Body Seperation
If I get into a serious enough accident, even with my new body bolts and poly bushings, the body may sheer off the frame. My anchor points for my belts and seats then become my concern since if they are attached to the body, I get hurt/killed should the tub and frame part ways. Am I correct in assuming that hte only way to fix this problem is to incorporate the seats and belts into the cage?

4. Design and what is available to me:
I have got this nice stock CJ-7 roll bar in my Jeep right now. I want to keep it where it is but tie it to the frame and add gussets where the tubes meet at the top. Then I want to install a front hoop tied to the frame. Then I plan to install tubing to connect the front and stock rollbar together, which now that I think about it would be similar to a YJ cage. I would incorporate diagonal tubing (triangulation?) to strengthen the cage where ever possible. Can anyone see any possble problems? I think I have covered all the bases, A pillar, B pillar, and strength.

Any input and info is appreciated

1) one thing i can think of that could be a problem with that design of a tie in is if you don't keep the tubes of the tie in and the cage centered over top of each other when bolted together, or at least as close as you can get them. the reason being is that if they're off by say 3 inches or so because it just happened to fit better that way, you can get a twisting effect on the plates when the force of a roll gets transmitted to the plate. think of lifting one end of a board while pushing down on the other end. the tie in tube is the lifting force, the sandwich plates are the board and the cage tube is the downward force. when the two are centered over top of each other the force will pass straight through the body and into the tie in. this is probably intuitive to most people but i just thought i'd throw it out there

3) definitely try and tie in the seats to the cage. no sense spending all that money and work on a cage only to rely on 4 cheap bolts to hold the seat to the floor.

4) sounds to me like you want something similar to tubeyj's cage.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #149
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

anyone make a cage lately????
Unread 03-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #150
BART CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Wow back from the dead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.