NYS vehicle welding requirements...Anyone know the official rules? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-18-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
NYS vehicle welding requirements...Anyone know the official rules?

Rumor has it you have to be DOT certified to weld on a vehicle frame. I can find no written proof of this anywhere. I've been searching online for weeks. The only DOT welder certificate I can find anything about is for welding on DOT Infrastructure projects.

I've got a '02 WJ and my next major undertaking is rust extermination. The Jeeps in really good shape for its age. My only welding required repair would be cutting out the rockers and welding in 2x6 tube. I may also cut a hole into the rear quarter panels behind the bumper to access inside as I've got rust issues internally up in that area as well(At least on the drivers side, not sure on passengers).

I do have a guy at work who welds commercial trucks that I could get to do it but thats not going to be cheap(He charger something like $40/hr for vehicle work, not sure on welding rate). Probably take 8-10 hours for fitment and welding + materials.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2017, 06:30 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've been involved with Jeepers and off-roading for 20+ years, and general garage wrenching for over 50 years. In all that time, zero people, New York (lived there for 41 years) or anywhere I've been, have ever been concerned with certifications for Jeep welding. Stop looking stuff up online and go back in the garage and fix the frame.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I've been involved with Jeepers and off-roading for 20+ years, and general garage wrenching for over 50 years. In all that time, zero people, New York (lived there for 41 years) or anywhere I've been, have ever been concerned with certifications for Jeep welding. Stop looking stuff up online and go back in the garage and fix the frame.
Current plan puts the welding required work at sometime in late summer or the fall. Currently project is an almost full suspension/steering rebuild and lift. Then I'll be tackling all the rusty areas. Rockers I believe will be one of the last steps of that. I wouldn't exactly call them rotted out. I've got some rust holes showing on the inners and the outers have a plastic cover but seem to be mostly there as well.

Jeep work is at a standstill due to waiting on a larger enough block of time to do the next stage(daily driver with no backup and I estimate it's going to take 3 days to get it all done, so Memorial weekends going to be busy), and waiting on funds & the last couple parts do complete that stage. Parts should have been at the store today and I'll have funds for them tomorrow(needed rear spring isolators I wasn't expecting.)

Reason for all the research is as this is my daily driver, I need it to pass inspection. Rumor is to weld a "frame" you need to be certified. AS a WJ is a uniframe vehicle(unibody that incorporates strong framerails), I wanted to get a definition of what the "frame" is(i.e. are rocker panels considered frame?).

post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2017, 09:06 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do whatever makes you comfy, which varies for everyone. If you are concerned with work passing the NYS Safety Inspection though, I can offer you this. With my array of vehicles over time, I've received maybe 200 NYS Safety Inspections, and not one inspector even looked at frame repair, let alone ask for certifications for any work done. Good luck with your project.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #5 of 9 Old 05-21-2017, 07:20 AM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just move to a state that is more reasonable and less intrusive?
post #6 of 9 Old 05-21-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliams35 View Post
Just move to a state that is more reasonable and less intrusive?
Already planning on it once I get enough cash in the bank to do so. Problem is I'm not even sure on the law on this as I can find nothing but rumors.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-21-2017, 10:04 AM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar View Post
Already planning on it once I get enough cash in the bank to do so. Problem is I'm not even sure on the law on this as I can find nothing but rumors.
. Having it on the books is one thing; in practice would be quite another. Ever actually heard of anybody checking for it during an inspection? It was probably just a legislative or regulatory gift to some welders union or something, but as far as one guy rolling into an inspection with a weld on a frame, I'd be surprised if a) they even would notice it, b) they wouldn't know the difference between it and a factory weld, and c) there's probably no mechanism for certifying that the thing was done by a certified welder anyway. Granted, I'm about as far from an expert on NY regulations as can be, but my gut feeling is that you're overthinking this.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-25-2017, 10:06 AM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My guess is they are referring to med. and heavy duty trucks.

92 YJ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #9 of 9 Old 05-25-2017, 10:49 AM
Shadownwpa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There is an aws welding code for vehicles but if I remember correctly it only applied to production welding when it was being manufactured. I've never even heard anyone claim to be a certified vehicle welder, and the welders I work with claim alot of things.

There's no reason a competent welder can't do your rockers like you mentioned. It's not too difficult to put down a better bead than the garbage welds the factory put on my yj. Forget the internet rumours and 'legal experts'.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/shadownwpa-91ish-yj-build-thread-1857154/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.