NP231 Tail Shaft Leak Fix - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > NP231 Tail Shaft Leak Fix

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #31
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideYJeep View Post
Rusty,
Is there a preference here for Q-Tec on the forum; i.e., donating vendor? If not, why not go thru 4WD as their prices are usually a bit lower and shipping is free if you pick up at one of their stores:
Rear Extension Housing by Crown Automotive and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH2

Maybe Crown Automotive is not quite the same quality?

I have no personal experience with 4wd. in the northeast, except for the one PA Qtec location, there is not a Qtec or 4wd to pick up at.

I have had good luck with Qtec that is why I use it.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #32
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Where should i hit the housing with the mallet so i can get it off? Ive been hitting it but it wont budge, and i dont wanna hit it and break it.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #33
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Tom tap all the way around it. There should also be a grooved part where you can slip a pry bar into and pop it off.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 11-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #34
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

got it off. but another question which i already posted about.. the seal doesn't sit even on the metal lip in the housing?
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #35
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompatt View Post
got it off. but another question which i already posted about.. the seal doesn't sit even on the metal lip in the housing?
Do you mean flush or it is out of center?? Can you take a pic?

Unread 11-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #36
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i have a thread in the YJ section.
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #37
Jeepfeud
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you look at the third picture at the beginning of this thread, it is the inside of the extension. At the bottom right there is a groove cut out of the housing. This groove/channel goes through to the back of the extension where the seal mounts. Is the groove at the bottom when the cone is installed (my son dissassembled it so I'm not sure where the groove was situated). The reason I ask is because when we reinstalled the cone, I put the groove at the bottom and now the seal leaks when the jeep is parked uphill. If on flat ground or parked downhill, it doesn't leak. I was just thinking if the groove wasn't at the bottom, the fluid wouldn't have a path to leak out the back when parked uphill. I did not replace the bushing.
Thanks,
Doug
Jeepfeud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #38
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

god it's been so long since i did this. IIRC that channel is there for the fluid to drain back to the case and I believe i installed it on the bottom. when you installed the seal did you silicone the outer body where it presses into the tail cone? if the seal is working it shouldn't be leaking past the output shaft regardless of orientation, so I'm inclined to think its seeping past the body of the seal.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #39
Jeepfeud
1987 YJ Wrangler 

....did you silicone the outer body where it presses into the tail cone?

Thanks for the reply. I did not silicone the seal, just where the extension mounts to the TC. I'll bet thats it. I'll give it a try.
Thanks again.
Doug
Jeepfeud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #40
AidanMullen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I realize this thread has been around for quite a while, and I will check elsewhere/start a new one, but I thought i would jump in and ask this question again, since it doesn't look like it was addressed the first time. Can a slight amount of play in the main shaft on the NP231 cause any driveline vibration under load. I have a 90 YJ, and when the Jeep warms up, it has an annoying vibration from 30 MPH through about 50MPH, regardless of what gear it's in. I have new wheel bearings, ball joints, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, everything's nice and tight. The problem goes away when the clutch is depressed. The problem goes away when driving in 4WD. Driveshaft checks out perfectly, with new U Joints. Tires are balanced properly and in great shape. Engine and Transmission are new. The ONLY thing I have found is this slight elliptical rotation of the Main slip yoke shaft inside the transfer case when it's in gear. I put the Jeep in gear running with the thing on jack stands, with the rear driveshaft removed. The seal doesn't leak on the tail cone, but this is the ONLY anomaly I can find. I've been suffering this for over 2 years and NO ONE has been able to tell me what it is. Needless to say, it's making me crazy. ANY ideas would be very welcome!
AidanMullen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #41
skyjacker21

that tail shaft keep brakin on my jeep idk why i kinda need some help or some ideas why
skyjacker21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #42
animal0307
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just finished replacing mine. To get out my seal I managed to grab a hold of the lip of it with a pair of vise grips, twist, and pull it out. If you have the option take your extension housing to an auto shop and see if they can press out the old bushing and push in the new bushing and seal. I took mine to work and the whole process took 5 minutes and most of that was finding something to push out the bushing with. Even if they charge $20 (really high estimate in my opinion) I think it's worth the piece of mind that you aren't risking chipping, scratching or cracking you house while waylaying it with a hammer.
animal0307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #43
wheelin_man83

I found this site to have better step by step.

http://www.jrfarrar.com/jeep/install/tomwood/sye/
wheelin_man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #44
vdocter
1988 YJ Wrangler 

transfer case rear oil seal leak

I couldn't find the part #s anywhere this will help. Thanks.

Last edited by vdocter; 12-16-2012 at 03:22 AM..
vdocter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #45
fishnic
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i did this repair yesterday after reading the OP instructions. Thank you very much for the writeup. i have everything back together, including replacing both u-joints on the shaft in about 3 hours ( i am not the best at u-joints, but i finally did it complete by myself - just took my time). Everything went back together correctly and the test drive worked out fine.

This morning i checked under the jeep for leaks and saw none. on an errand i started getting a vibration/shutter after taking off in first gear. It almost seemed like the rear end binding up.

I came back home to find that on the rear u-joint strap - either i didnt tighten it down enough, or it loosened up. Is this supposed to have thread locker on it? i put some on, and re-tightened them down. test drive now has no vibrations.

Once again thank you for the write up, my transfer case was definitely low on fluid and i changed that out also.
fishnic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.