NP231 Tail Shaft Leak Fix - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > NP231 Tail Shaft Leak Fix

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #16
Phoenix916

I believe the 231 changed in 1990 but only in the cherokees and they lost the tail shaft. My 1989 says amc231 on the tag but I have a 1990 transfer case that says np231J and doesn't have a tailshaft so I can only use the chain and internals, thats why I asked where to find the tailshaft.

Phoenix916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
jrzyjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So i followed the post (great job btw) and replaced my seal after finding a leak at the output. I actually found the leak because items i left on the floor behind the seats kept getting damp and i could not figuer out why. Looked underneath and saw that the oil was being splattered up on the underside during rotation. Thought it might be coming up through the seatbelt hold down bolt.

I replaced the seal and u-bolts and put new silicone/tightened the bolts on the extension. I did not put a new bushing in however

After that i put about 200miles on the jeep and am now noticing that some of the silicone has fallen out between the extension cone and the housing, and the output seal seems to have backed out a bit (not all the way just a little on the bottom). I am still getting some leaking although i am not sure from where as the drive-shaft is pretty clean near the seal still. Should i look to repeat the process and get a new bushing or am i looking for something bigger that may be causing enough vibration/movment to explain this? Any ideas are appreciated.
Unread 12-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am experiencing a slow drip right out of the seal itself... somone suggested that the output shaft itself may be very slightly worn from the seal if its the original from 93 (which I think it is...) and there is now just enough space for a slow seapage... I am not sure if this is possible but can tell you there is no real "play" in the shaft... although I guess I am not sure what type of play there should be and when its too much. I am happy to say that I tourqued everything up and nothing has backed out - the output shaft extension(tail cone) is dry as a bone...

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #19
jrzyjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jaycal3,

Not really sure what 'play' there should be. I know there was alot of movement in the u-joints so i replaced them. kinda thought maybe that was the culprit but nope. shaft seems dry, and cone too. but i see a slow leak and freddy kruger type splatters all over the underside so not sure what to make of it. I guess at the minimum im going to have to clean everything up really nice and try to find it early. before everything starts looking like a murder scene again and yep, mine is the original from 89...
Unread 01-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
Billyd93
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

Output leak fix

Sentinal02, thank you so much for this post; amazing I was just outside doing the exact same thing, but with a new housing...and I am glad I saw you post because I thought I was missing something. (Just an FYI your links to the pics are broken).

Thanks again!
Billyd93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #21
Dflores
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribe is good

Last edited by Dflores; 01-17-2010 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: sp
Dflores is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #22
Dflores
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This seal is giving me fits

http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Je...5/IMG_3934.JPG

Here is a picture similar to mine, the type with a rubber boot and I have replaced this seal two times. It leaks more than before. The first time the "C" clip just in front of the seal tore the seal. I am still working on the second time. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this this seal.
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #23
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

pics should be fixed.

D, can't really help you much with that myself since the TJ's housing is a bit different obviously. I've only done an SYE on one, never messed with the stock output seal. hopefully one of the other guys can help you out.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #24
Dflores
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I found the answer to my TJ rear seal leak issue. The problem has to do with my install. In my previous post I linked to a picture of the TJ seal, retainer clip and slinger. The retainer clip goes into a groove on the shaft, this groove has been the problem. I went Nogalitoes Gear in San Antonio, the guys there tell me to put some tape on the shaft to cover the groove as I am installing the seal. This will let the rubber portion of the seal glide over the groove, where in the past I had allowed the seal to fall into the groove as I was installing. I felt a little springy action as I was driving seal home, this springy feel was my seal tearing past the groove.

The tape is to be removed once the seal is installed. There is also a $100 special tool that will accomplish this task. I'll stick to the tape.
Unread 01-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #25
egabriella

If the bushing is bad and there is a little bit of play in the slip yoke, can it vibrate similar to a bad u-joint? I have a brand new driveshaft, and the driveline angles are OK, but it vibrates terribly.
'95 Honda Prelude V-Tec
'97 Mazda Millenia DD
'71 240Z project
egabriella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #26
Foxfleet

where do you recommend getting the bushing from?
Foxfleet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #27
grumpy254
1991 YJ Wrangler 

my bushing seems to fit tight when installed but after driving it for a while, it always seems to come loose and seperate from the rear extention housing where i installed it... is there any ways to prevent this..
grumpy254 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #28
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy254 View Post
my bushing seems to fit tight when installed but after driving it for a while, it always seems to come loose and seperate from the rear extention housing where i installed it... is there any ways to prevent this..
Your bushing or your seal??? The bushing is internal and should be really tight. The seal, if its correctly, and installed all the way in should not move at all.

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #29
grumpy254
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the bushing inside - when installed is tight.. i have to happer it in.. after driving it.. it looses up and moves from inside the housing to on the mainshaft(thats inside the housing)
grumpy254 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #30
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Rusty,
Is there a preference here for Q-Tec on the forum; i.e., donating vendor? If not, why not go thru 4WD as their prices are usually a bit lower and shipping is free if you pick up at one of their stores:
Rear Extension Housing by Crown Automotive and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH2

Maybe Crown Automotive is not quite the same quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.