Noerthern Tools vs. Harbor Freight vs. Brand Name - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Noerthern Tools vs. Harbor Freight vs. Brand Name

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 07-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
oneirishpollack
2012 WK 

Noerthern Tools vs. Harbor Freight vs. Brand Name

I just recently ordered a rotary tool (think Dremel 4000) and kit from Northern Tool. Was just curious if anyone has had any experiences to share about Northern Tool products? I have used some Harbor Freight stuff and found it was a good value for the money, though not the top-of-the-line tools in quality. However, I have found that I rarely need the top-of-the-line tools for the work I do.

oneirishpollack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
steve20
1994 YJ Wrangler 

haha you might want to move this to another section of the forum to get more answers. Never bought northern tool have had a few things from harbor frieght but only for tools im gonna use once in a while or when im in the store i see something cool. My best purchase from harbor frieght was thier samller froor jack it works great and i have had it for a few years others things though like my impact gun is husky sockets and wrenches are craftsman. I just can't put all my trust into harbor freights products I will have to use on a regular basis. Btw I love your name. haha
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
steve20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
01xjltd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ive had great luck with northern tools . They used to be northern Hydraulics in times past, and always treated me well and had a great product line. Harbor Freight was just as good in customer service but their imported product line at times was really lacking, although now its much improved. Their main store in camarillo calif. rocks. I was like a kid in a candy store when I was there.
01xjltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

as far as working on my XJ tech-wise, I've used HF with great success and I can honestly say that even though its cheap, whatever gets the job done is what I use.

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
shawnzoman
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I love Harbor Freight stuff and I have never had a problem returning anything.
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xjltd View Post
Harbor Freight was just as good in customer service but their imported product line at times was really lacking, although now its much improved.
Like they have some other product line!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnzoman View Post
I love Harbor Freight stuff and I have never had a problem returning anything.
I like S-K. Never needed to return anything.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
ride172
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I am a fan of Harbor Freight... Never had a problem with any tool I bought from them... I take that back, a ratchet I've had for like 10 years started acting up on me... I attribute that to the repeated hammer blows it took getting some sticky bolts out... It is now the full time hammer ratchet and still works for that purpose... Harbor Freight is good enough for me...
ride172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
BrunoS

the $20 "dremel" type tools overheat very easily.

the real thing works a lot better.

other than that, HF is fine for many things- not all.
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

The HF and Northern stuff is good for OCCASIONAL use. If you make a living with your tools (or do lots of repairs for your buddies), you need better tools that those. Sears, S-K, Proto, and others are better. Of course, for serious mechanics, there is Mac and Snap-On, but the key there is to get a sales rep. who will swing by your place on a regular basis, or at least when needed. Those guys tend to focus on the pro shops, where sales is certain.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
mrwhite

I wouldn't buy anything electrical from HF. Got one of those "dremel" tools and it's worthless.
I buy extensions, breaker bars, wire brushes, organizer bins, stuff like that from hf.
mrwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
jeep rio
1980 CJ5 

I bought a grinder from them and so far has worked great for cutting off old exhausts and such. Ive had it for 3 years now. However I would not recommend there sawzall as I had to return 3 of them just to take the factory exhaust off my Camaro.They use cheap plastic gears. They didnt give me any hard time returning them though. Also I have HF's 1000 lb Engine stand, and 1 ton Engine hoist and both work like a charm.
2006 TJ- Custom lift 4in Full traction springs, OME shocks, Kilby skid plates and bumper, Full traction 3 link in rear, JKS control arms upper lower, Banks exhaust, Edge trail jammer, 4.56's and true trac front, Eaton elocker rear. D30, D44

1995 YJ Rio Grande- 4.0l Swap 3.5 in 4wd hardware lift, Ford 8.8 Rear 4.10 gears.
jeep rio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
Big4mike9
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Harbor freight and northern are great just be careful with anything electrical.
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

both shops are great for speciality tools. far as core tools though, I would go brand.
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I sometimes buy their cheap stuff and use it as a "throw away".

Use it for one job, if it still works then great. If not, then throw it away and buy another one.

I just bought a 4" angle grinder on sale for less than $20. I put a flap wheel in it and use it all the time for prepping metal for welds.

When it bites the dust, I'll throw it away and get another one (on sale). It's better than paying $$ for a name brand when you are just going to beat it up any way.

I can buy 3-4 cheap ones for the cost of one good one.

Don't get me wrong, I spend lots of money for name brand tools that I need to last.
Unread 07-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Generally using a cheap tool makes me work harder, takes longer, and eventually fails making me angry.

Since I take alot of pride in my work, pay attention to detail so it's done right the first time and learned through experience that working smart is better than working hard...

I buy 99% of my tools with demand for high quality. A warranty is not going to get me finished any faster.

I also use many, many tools for my living so I actually KNOW the difference between crap and good stuff...if you buy all your stuff at HF and Northern Tool you probably don't even know what a tool with power actually feels like...or how much time you have wasted working that tool harder...or how many trips you have made getting another one under warranty...

but this country has become a disposable society.

Tags
fabrication , harbor freight , northern tool , reviews , tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.