Nice Cage to Frame Tie In Ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Nice Cage to Frame Tie In Ideas

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Nice Cage to Frame Tie In Ideas

Hey guys found this design over on Pirate 4x4 and liked it, wanted to spread the idea here. Looks really strong and has isolation due to the bushings, the only flaw may be rear tire rub in certain circumstances...

Post up your ideas for cage tie ins, could be a very useful thread to those looking to make their rigs more safe!

101mvc-003g-med.jpg

101mvc-004g-med.jpg

101mvc-008f1-med.jpg

101mvc-009f-med.jpg

101mvc-014f1-med.jpg

cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Never liked the idea of relying on the shear of a single bolt, unless it's 5/8" or larger.

Edit: I just realized too, after a second look, that's only held on to the welded plate by 6 small bolts with maybe 3/16" of thread engagement. And it also looks like tire clearance would be an issue the way it sticks out from the frame.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

True. And thats why this thread is helpful!
Unread 03-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Mud Pilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok I'm guessing that is a yj by looking at the rear shackles but other than supporting the tub, what is this actually accomplishing. I may not be looking or thinking out of the box on this one but I just can't see the purpose on this mod.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Mud Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Those are just boomerang shackles, which work on any vehicles. The frame looks modified so I'm not sure, but I assumed it was a Jeep sport bar, pre-81 that mounted to the top of the fenderwell. The purpose is to tie the sport bar to the frame, making it a roll bar. Otherwise, only the sheetmetal tub supports the bar. It has nothing to do with supporting the tub, though it does by proxy. The bushing is for isolating the frame vibration from the body, just as the body mounts do.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
Mud Pilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks renegade for the explanation. Actually have looking at it I think it's a cj5. Don't they have the roll bar with the plate from the front bar to the rear bar. Seems like a good idea but like said before the clearance for tire tuck would be an issue.

Mud Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Pilot View Post
Thanks renegade for the explanation. Actually have looking at it I think it's a cj5. Don't they have the roll bar with the plate from the front bar to the rear bar. Seems like a good idea but like said before the clearance for tire tuck would be an issue.

The plate where that gets connected looks exactly like that. It holds the main hoop and the arms that go down to the back. As for the tuck it depends how much lift is on that rig but with mine it wouldn't hit with 31s and stock lift.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Today was Day 02 of a planned 3 day build of my full family friendly roll cage for the CJ, Lots of dang work! Here are some progress photos thus far, extremely happy with the turnout, only screwup that ive noticed is that my glovebox looks like it will be obstructed....My fault for not having put the dash on beforehand...think ill just remove the door if I have to have a shelf for crap.

...However if thats the only real mistake, I can live with it!

Want to put out a big recommendation to Dave and Sean from DSFabworx here in Pensacola FL for their skills and professionalism, couldnt be happier with the way they're handling the build.

Day 01
cage-1-compressed.jpg

cage-2-compressed.jpg

cage-3-compressed.jpg

cage-4-compressed.jpg

cage-5-compressed.jpg

cage-6-compressed.jpg

Unread 06-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Day 02:

Rear Section completed, windshield V, and Front Seat mounts installed.
cage-7-compressed.jpg

cage-8-compressed.jpg

cage-9-compressed.jpg

cage-10-compressed.jpg

cage-12-compressed.jpg

cage-13-compressed.jpg

cage-14-compressed.jpg

cage-15-compressed.jpg

cage-16-compressed.jpg

cage-17-compressed.jpg

Unread 06-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Day 02 continued:

Cage was designed to use a TJ Rampage Frameless Soft-top.
cage-18-compressed.jpg

cage-19-compressed.jpg

cage-20-compressed.jpg

cage-21-compressed.jpg

cage-22-compressed.jpg

cage-23-compressed.jpg

cage-24-compressed.jpg

Unread 06-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I've seen that C pillar tie in before and like the nice work that's put into it but that's as far as it goes for me. In a way it's a big hinge. If you roll end to end that's not going to stop the cage from giving way. That tie in will swing whichever direction the force makes it go. As I said it has some great work done to it but the design, to me, is not very good.

Here's some pictures of what I did. I tied the A pillar to my sliders that are bolted to the frame. Every point of connection has a bushing, YJ spring bushings. The B pillar is tied to the tub mounting bracket, had to make that bracket for the YJ tub anyway. The C pillar is like most others. I like the idea of using the bushings everywhere as that works with the body mount bushings. To mount the cage solid in affect makes the body bushings worthless since you've taken away the movement. Things have to flex and give otherwise you might see some cracks over time in the tub.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I've seen that B pillar tie in before and like the nice work that's put into it but that's as far as it goes for me. In a way it's a big hinge. If you roll end to end that's not going to stop the cage from giving way. That tie in will swing whichever direction the force makes it go. As I said it has some great work done to it but the design, to me, is not very good. Here's some pictures of what I did. I tied the A pillar to my sliders that are bolted to the frame. Every point of connection has a bushing, YJ spring bushings. The B pillar is tied to the tub mounting bracket, had to make that bracket for the YJ tub anyway. The C pillar is like most others. I like the idea of using the bushings everywhere as that works with the body mount bushings. To mount the cage solid in affect makes the body bushings worthless since you've taken away the movement. Things have to flex and give otherwise you might see some cracks over time in the tub.
I am confused on what the problem is with the cage.

You said you had seen the B pillar tie in before and that it would act like a hinge and then showed how you tied your frame in.

He is going to have 6 points where that cage will go through the body and tie into his frame and is talking about using the bushings as well.
Unread 07-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #13
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Sorry for not checking what I wrote. When I mentioned the B pillar I should have typed C instead. That's the one I had the issue with, as far as the way it was attached in the photos.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

There has since been two straight 1-3/4 tubes run between C and B along the tops of the fenderwells, as well as a lateral tube between the bottom of the C pillars acting as a rear seat support, not much structural addition from that one, but its something.
Unread 07-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjon7
There has since been two straight 1-3/4 tubes run between C and B along the tops of the fenderwells, as well as a lateral tube between the bottom of the C pillars acting as a rear seat support, not much structural addition from that one, but its something.
That's what happens when someone starts talking out the side of their neck 1/2 through someone else's project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.