New Tire Carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > New Tire Carrier

Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Border Dave
Got Sand?
2001 TJ Wrangler 

New Tire Carrier

Hey, check out what a friend of mine made for his JK:

What do you think about it?

Last edited by Border Dave; 07-09-2007 at 04:26 PM..
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
BigDaddyChoice
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. I like that the carrier has a bit of an angle for departure, but the weight of the tire still rests on the tailgate. Ideally, it would be best to take the weight off your tailgate and onto your frame.

If you don't intend to get bigger tires than stock, then you're good to go. However, if/when the inevitable calling for bigger surfaces, you may want to rethink your tire-carrier options.

"Drive it there, wheel it, drive it home"

JEEP OBSESSION: Testing the limits of financial stability.

Windtunnel failed since September, 2000
BigDaddyChoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Ohenry13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

nicely done sir.
the rally look is awesome
Ohenry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good, nice fab work, nice touch with the waterjet/laser logo, But I severely question the strength of the tailgate. Having the tire sit that far off the body adds more torque to the mounts(bad)
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
Border Dave
Got Sand?
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairy
Looks good, nice fab work, nice touch with the waterjet/laser logo, But I severely question the strength of the tailgate. Having the tire sit that far off the body adds more torque to the mounts(bad)
He used a CNC plasma cutter ($15,000 Plasma Cam) to cut the logo into it.
Unread 07-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Yeah.. kind of far off the tailgate but it sure looks good! Can you take a closeup of the logo?.. I'd like to see how clean that plasma cut it. I'm hoping to pick up a CNC plasma table before too long.

Edit: I just went back and looked at the setup again.. it appears that all 4 arms are cut from flat plate? If so, that carrier will buckle if you bump the spare into something (like a tree while offroading..etc.). I'd be willing to bet money that they would buckle.. right where the logo is cut. Angle iron or tube would be stronger but if the rig is only going to see light trail riding it shouldn't be a problem.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Border Dave
Got Sand?
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Yeah.. kind of far off the tailgate but it sure looks good! Can you take a closeup of the logo?.. I'd like to see how clean that plasma cut it. I'm hoping to pick up a CNC plasma table before too long.

Edit: I just went back and looked at the setup again.. it appears that all 4 arms are cut from flat plate? If so, that carrier will buckle if you bump the spare into something (like a tree while offroading..etc.). I'd be willing to bet money that they would buckle.. right where the logo is cut. Angle iron or tube would be stronger but if the rig is only going to see light trail riding it shouldn't be a problem.
I'm pretty sure he's mostly going to wheel it in the sand dunes and maybe some mud. If he doesn't read this post, I'll be sure to address the strength issue with him about the support arms.
Unread 07-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would think the tailgate would flex a lot more before the mount. But if I had a CNC plasma cutter, I would surely make something more substantial and adjustable.

But who am I? I don't even own a welder anymore.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I think we should make a friendly wager on this.. say.. $1.00. Now, I need you to back that into a tree until either the carrier bends or the tailgate folds. I'll cut you in on 1/2 of my take..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.