New Shop Toy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > New Shop Toy

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

New Shop Toy

fabrication is a hobby, would love it as a career, but currently more a hobby. I do fabrication and metal work on a frequent basis at work and they are nice enough to give me limited access to the tooling and machinery after house.

but there are some things that simply can't be done at work in my limited time.

so, my parents own a farm with a large shop where myself and basically all my family and some friends converge nearly every weekend for working on stuff or just having a good time. with its central location, we came together to well equip my dads shop. He has a welder, and nearly ever hand tool imaginable. Next on the list we got a 25 ton shop press, then added a small table lift, and my brother and i purchased a Tube bender.

well now things are really coming together.

10x54 ENCO mill, DRO with simple programming capabilities, virtually Brand new.

Next project is building a phase converter to power it, as well as a small 36" bed metal lathe i am working on obtaining followed by a larger welder.

after all this, the next big purchase will be a plasma cutter and table.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What kind of motor is on the mill? And what kind of voltage have you got available in your shop?

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
What kind of motor is on the mill? And what kind of voltage have you got available in your shop?

Sent from my phone
it is a 3 phase 230/460 volt motor

shop is only single phase 240. however, we are building a phase converter out of an old 3 phase motor just to run this, and a few other things off of.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If the phase converter is a bust you can buy an Allan Bradley 40 drive to boost your voltage and add the other phase.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
If the phase converter is a bust you can buy an Allan Bradley 40 drive to boost your voltage and add the other phase.
the drives are nice but not nearly as efficient as a rotary converter is. we initially looked into one, but for our purposes really only a rotary will do as we plan on having multiple pieces of equipment operating off of it.

a VFD used as a converter only allows you to operate at about 70% of your rated horse power and you should have a drive per piece of equipment. with a larger rotary converter, you can operate at 100% of the rated horse power and run multiple machines off of just a single converter. plus with a rotary, you can even run things like a 3 phase welder or plasma cutter, you can't do that with a drive.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I really donít have much to add to this conversation (donít know much) so I just wanted to chime in and say wow what a great addition to your already awesome shop.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.