new to me welder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > new to me welder

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

new to me welder

I was given a welder and have some questions. Its a Miller Thunderbolt 225v. From Miller's website it was made in mid 1979. I downloaded the manual and followed the maintenance procedures, cleaned it out and greased the slides the block rides on. I rigged up a temporary plug, plugged it in and laid down a bead. It worked great until I tripped the 30amp breaker. I figured it would happen, but just wanted to test it. I'll wire in a permanent 50amp circuit for it soon.

The leads are old and cracked, need to be replaced. What size cable would I need for 20-30 foot leads and where is the best place to get it?

I was also given a bunch of welding rods. I don't know much about stickwelding and was hoping y'all could tell the different uses of these rods
3/16" 6012 - have a bunch of these
3/16" & 1/8" 7018
3/16" 10016-02
1/8" x-ergon #103
3/32" 6011 just a couple of these
And an unlabeled box of unlabeled rods. These are all pretty old and probably incorrectly stored, but if nothing else I'll be able to practice with them. _________________

Unread 01-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

Unread 01-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Shaneo7
1994 YJ Wrangler 

All I can really tell you about those rods is 7018 will work for pretty much any steel weld you will make and with a little practice they will look like butter as compared to the 60s which are easier to use but don't produce as nice of a weld no matter how much you practice also a 6010 or 6011 would be all position and I think but I'm not sure a 2 at the end means flat and horizontal position only. We use a lot of 6010 and 7018.
Shaneo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Shaneo7
1994 YJ Wrangler 

7018 is all position too but in over head and vertical it takes some practice.
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

You could try baking them. If they have a manufacture label on them they should have all info on the rods you need. Just for quick reference on rods http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...ns-detail.aspx

As for the leads local welding supply shop would have or be able to make you the needed ones.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #6
Shaneo7
1994 YJ Wrangler 

From what I've heard they can either only sit out so long and be baked again or their not as good of quality or they can only be rebaked so many times either way ive used rods that haven't been properly stored and they have worked very well still. The only reason you shouldn't is most of the rods are low hydrogen and when their not kept dry they soak up watervaper which gives off hydrogen when you weld.
Unread 01-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

For leads you would probably want #2 for 20-30' but you would be better of putting it on wheels an making a longer 240VAC cord for it. That could be #6 and then you could get away with #4 leads.

My stick welder is on wheels and has ~25' cord. It is nice to have the welder close because then you do not have to walk 20' to make adjustments.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Those 3/16" rods are HUGE!!! As a whole, around the shop/jeep you will run a lot of 6011 and 7018ac in 3/32 and 1/8 sizes. 6013 isn't a bad one to have around either. 6011 will be great for tacking and is a fast freeze rod(solidifies quicker) a penetrates deep, but it is pretty difficult to make look pretty. It will burn over/out just about anything. 7018ac is the most common rod you will find people running. It's easy to run, makes a pretty weld, is not as brittle as 60 series rods. 6013 is similar to 6011 in that it will burn over lots of nasty stuff, but doesn't penetrate quite as deep. All these rods can be ran in any position. 7018 should be baked before welding (low hydrogen as stated above), while the 60 series rods you could probably stick in a bucked of water and they would still burn ok. Practice practice, stick welding isn't easy, But it will do most any jeep project you could think of. Enjoy the new toy!!!
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

Thanks for the recommendations guys. When it warms up some and I can work with better ventilation, I'll do some practicing with it. I've had a 110v mig for a few years and was planning to upgrade to a larger unit, but I think with this stick welder to do the thicker stuff and the small mig, I can tackle most projects.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.