New Jeep Frame?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > New Jeep Frame??

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Beckahecka
1984 CJ7 

New Jeep Frame??

So the plan on my 84 CJ7 was to take the tub off over the winter and redo the frame (has typical CJ rust in the back shackle area).
I came across a used CJ7 Frame that this guy had professionaly redone - no rust, straight, and coated with chassis paint.

Its all the stuff I was planning to do to mine, but the price is $600.

I'm not to that point in my jeep rebuild yet, so I haven't got quotes for fab work, sandblasting and so on.

Would I be saving money/time if I bought this one?

Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Thanks!

Beckahecka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

If you trust someone else's work would be a question to ask yourself. If the work was not done right then you'll have wasted allot of time starting with a frame the paint will likely come off of. If it were me I'd do it all myself and if you can't then hire someone and watch the steps as they do them, that way you'll know what was done.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Beckahecka
1984 CJ7 

This frame is two jeep frames married together, (but not sure of the quailty, although I hear good recommendations from the shop he went to), and to me, it looks pretty good, but I'm not a professional by any means.

For an extra 100 I can get the title too, so that might be a plus.

Thanks for the info!
Beckahecka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

2 Frames married together? You would get allot more help on this if you had this thread in the CJ section. I bet one of the moderators would move it for you if you asked.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Joining 2 frames is fine if done correctly problem is most people have no clue how to do it. Pictures would be a big help especially close ups of the joints. As for the paint peeling if its not correctly done it will come off quickly and can cause major rust problems.

Cost for doing it yourself will depend on how bad your frame is, sand blasting and paint. Call a few shops and get a few quotes based on what you know.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Unless I knew the guy who was selling the frame, I'd have a few concerns...

Why is he selling it? He dumps a bunch of $$ into it, cleans it all up, paints it, and then sells it?

Does it fit correctly?

My biggest concern would be that it didn't fit correctly, so he's trying to recoup some of his $$$.

Not trying to call anybody shady or anything.. just saying "be careful". Would really suck to pay $600 for $50 of scrap steel.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.