New Hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > New Hitch

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
Bigbob

New Hitch/New Trailer

I am building a trailer, 5'X5' size. I built this 3 axis hitch for it. Sort of putting the horse before the cart as I have not framed up the trailer yet!

I used 1" hard pins for the right side 2 pivots and a 1" X 8" grade 8 bolt for the rotational end.

The right side is the end that goes into the receiver. I am drilled 2 sets of holes so I can rotate the hitch 90 degrees. On the left side I am building in some adjustment for hitch height so I can use it on various vehicles. The brazing is just to locate the thrust washers in the rotational area. And yes, I used bushings in the pivots.

Comments?

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!

Last edited by Bigbob; 07-25-2009 at 04:25 PM..
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I know they are noisy, but wouldnt a pintle set up work just as good? Ive seen this 2 times on ROF, so Im just wondering what was the idea behind this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
I know they are noisy, but wouldnt a pintle set up work just as good? Ive seen this 2 times on ROF, so Im just wondering what was the idea behind this.
Pintle hitches are indeed noisy. But my main thing was cost. To get a pintle hitch with a rotating Lunette is pretty darn expensive. With a rotating lunette the pintle would have as much travel as this. And, I love building stuff as much as I love saving money!
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 07-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

You must like grinding with flap discs

I like it. I want to build a trailer this winter (maybe) and was planning to make my own 3-axis hitch. I like your Grade 8 Bolt idea, but for the other two axes why couldn't you use 2 poly bushings? Is there a reason you prefer the hard pins vs poly bushings + grade 8 bolts?

Like this: https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...ngs-only-.html
or this: https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...e-Housing.html
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
You must like grinding with flap discs

I like it. I want to build a trailer this winter (maybe) and was planning to make my own 3-axis hitch. I like your Grade 8 Bolt idea, but for the other two axes why couldn't you use 2 poly bushings? Is there a reason you prefer the hard pins vs poly bushings + grade 8 bolts?

Like this: https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...ngs-only-.html
or this: https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...e-Housing.html
You mean like spring eye bushings? I don't know why they wouldn't work. I just had the DOM and bushings already so I used that. 1" pins are over kill I am sure. I think most poly bushings will take a 9/16" bolt.

Pretty sure this is what www.off-roadinternational.com uses. But they use nylon flange bushings.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 07-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Pintle hitches are indeed noisy. But my main thing was cost. To get a pintle hitch with a rotating Lunette is pretty darn expensive. With a rotating lunette the pintle would have as much travel as this. And, I love building stuff as much as I love saving money!
Nothing wrong with that. With those bolts, I bet you still have a few bucks into this thing tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Nothing wrong with that. With those bolts, I bet you still have a few bucks into this thing tho.
That 8"X1" Grade 8 bolt was about $15.00! I am guessing I have $30-$45 in it. And if my labor is worth $8.00 an hour it probably cost me $5,000!

Here is my axle.

The axle is upside down in the picture. I wanted a lift axle for more ground clearance. 1750 lb spindles which are replaceable, not welded in but bolted in. Brakes of course. I welded a flange to the dom tube the spindle slides in. The spindles have a matching flange for the brakes. I also put a couple set screws in.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 07-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Bigbob

Finally got a little done this weekend.

I got the frame laid out square and flat and tacked it together:

The frame is 62" wide at the widest points which is slightly wider than the Jeep tub. It is 60" long. It will basically be similar to my LJ tub if I cut it off aft the doors.

Here is the frame sitting on the axle sans springs.

Here is the hitch mounted. I also added adjust ability up and down.

The trailer tongue is adjustable in and out.

Here you can see how the spindles mount. Excuse the rust, it just on the surface!

I need to finish welding the frame and add a couple gussets for added strength. I plan on a Jeep type bumper on the rear with a receiver so I can tow the sucker backwards as well if I get in a pinch.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would think you might want to add a little height to the hitch to keep it from dragging. I would add some diagonal straps to the pull point to the axles to keep it from twisting on you. Would do the same on the rear if you might have to be pulled from it. Are you planning to strengthen the spindle area?? One other thing is to up down before the right left to keep the pivot point closer to the back of the jeep. Now this is just my two cent worth. But a cool project.

Now just a question are you planning on springs??
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
I would think you might want to add a little height to the hitch to keep it from dragging.
The frame/tounge is going to be 25" high give or take an inch. So for the trailer to be level I will actually need to drop the hitch. The 2" square tube on the adjustment point will be cut down accordingly once I figure where level will be.

Quote:
I would add some diagonal straps to the pull point to the axles to keep it from twisting on you. Would do the same on the rear if you might have to be pulled from it.
Yes, I plan on gussets and diagonal bracing front and rear.

Quote:
Are you planning to strengthen the spindle area??
Spindle area is pretty strong. Flange to flange bolt in and the DOM tubing has set screws as well.

Quote:
One other thing is to up down before the right left to keep the pivot point closer to the back of the jeep.
Explain that, I'm confused. ?????

Quote:

Now just a question are you planning on springs??
Of course. They will be here Thursday.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would put the up down pivot point close as possible towards the jeep. Because the farther back it is it could drag. Like the picture you posted with a complete I would turn it a 90* .
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
Bigbob

Quote:
I would put the up down pivot point close as possible towards the jeep. Because the farther back it is it could drag. Like the picture you posted with a complete I would turn it a 90* .
Got ya, mine will be able to go both ways. I figure on the highway a longer hitch is better as far as side to side goes. Off road it will be turned 90 degrees. I haven't drilled the 5/8" holes in the receiver end yet, but they will be both ways. I was worried about doing that as it will weaken the 2" square in that area so I welded some 1/4" plate inside the 3/16" wall square tube.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good! Can't wait to see the end product.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #14
Bigbob

It Rolls!

$20.00 worth of iron and $500.00 worth of tires and wheels!
Also note the new Dewalt chop saw. My 23 year old Black and Decker quit finally.

It sits about 1"-1 1/2" higher than I planned, but after it's finished it may lower a bit.
If not the leafs are adjustable. Note the adjustable length tongue as well. It will have 2 5/8" bolts in it. It has 3 different lengths I can run at.
I think I'll run a piece of 1"X2" tube from the spring hanger to the front to prevent hang ups there as well.

I am thinking of putting the shocks outboard.
I will need to notch the frame to do it as there is not much room between the tire and
frame. I am planning on welding another piece of 2"X2" inside to beef it up and to mount
the Air Lift sleeves to. I got the lightest weight rating springs I could find as I hate a bouncing trailer. If it gets loaded I can add air to the sleeves.

Bling Bling. Same wheels I have on the Jeep. Same size tires, 33X12:50X15, but different brand. These are Remington Mud Brutes. I had them on a pickup and my old CJ and really liked them.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 08-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Bigbob

Work on this is slow, but I got the suspension mocked up.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.