New garage with lift! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > New garage with lift!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #76
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Rant--

LOCK-UP!!

"Would you like to get a Home Depot credit card and save another $20.00 on today's purchase?"

"Yes, but I want to pay for it immediately with my VISA"

"OK. no prob. come with me."

20 minutes later...

Said to the cashier: "Here is my temporary Home Depot Credit Card info and my VISA.

"Oh, sir, I can't take your VISA"

!@#%$%*$()%*@#$(%&@$(%&($5 @$%%&(@$%&@($5 $%(@$(%(

ONE HOUR LATER we get out of the store having forgotten 25 feet of 10-2 wire for my hoist hook-up.... #$%@#$5 #$% #$% 34 #$% 4%#$%

Karen says "Let's drink tonight."

I pulled out our recliner lawn chairs, took them to the shop and drank 3 beers. Then I made one door jam. Grabbed one of my steel door blanks. Drilled and screwed. INstalled the door. Installed two windows and a keyed/key padded door lock. Then stood back and took this picture!!!

Unread 06-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #77
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Twitter Entry...

The epoxy order only half arrived. The other two gallons passed through TimBuckTwo sometime over the weekend, apparently.

Pull the 6-3 through the conduit underground to the garage and wire the sub-panel tonight.
Unread 06-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #78
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Oh man... still waiting for the epoxy... Now the job is actually being held up.
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #79
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Woohoo!! NAPA says the epoxy is all here. Guess who's mopping floor with a smile this weekend? Now, if the weather warms and dries up for the weekend, the hoist will be erected Monday or Tuesday...

Doesn't look good:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CABC0072
Unread 06-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #80
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Finally big progress. Clean up all around and in the garage. Emptied all of the supplies out of the garage. My wife helped out for most of the day and got a few blisters from the ordeal.

Swept, hosed, removed cement splash from the pouring of the tall walls and lifted the 2000 pound hoist off of the floor about a foot or so... child's play

The etching was fast to do but the rinsing and squeegee work took a while.

Here are a few pics. Epoxy coating tomorrow, finally.

Last edited by jeepsterjc; 06-20-2009 at 08:56 PM..
jeepsterjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #81
DC4W-93XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

lookin sweet.. are you going to insulate it and have some kind of stove??
SEE THE BUILD HERE
DC4W-93XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #82
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4W-93XJ View Post
lookin sweet.. are you going to insulate it and have some kind of stove??
Yes, a couple of people here also said I should just do it now... so yes, wire, insulate the walls and vapour barrier. I'll also put up the 4x8 exterior cement siding on the inside instead of drywall on 3 walls and 3/4 plywood on the fourth...

I think an overhead natural gas furnace in the future. I don't have floor room for a stove and I'm kind of scared of about putting one in a shop.
Unread 06-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #83
DC4W-93XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

my shop started as a pole barn..
we framed in, in between the poles with 2x6's then insulated all that with 1.5" foam board then R13 fiberglass insulation.. so its about R20 total.. then on top of that 3/4" drywall.. its a 36' x 40' shop and we use a barrel stove made out of a 55gal drum..
when it gets cold out it gets between 20 and -10.. with that stove it'll maintain 90 degrees if you dont keep it shut down.. and we burn about a cord to two cords a year with it..

cheap heat..
SEE THE BUILD HERE
DC4W-93XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #84
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4W-93XJ View Post
my shop started as a pole barn..
we framed in, in between the poles with 2x6's then insulated all that with 1.5" foam board then R13 fiberglass insulation.. so its about R20 total.. then on top of that 3/4" drywall.. its a 36' x 40' shop and we use a barrel stove made out of a 55gal drum..
when it gets cold out it gets between 20 and -10.. with that stove it'll maintain 90 degrees if you dont keep it shut down.. and we burn about a cord to two cords a year with it..

cheap heat..
When my wife reads this she'll ask me to think about it... so I will start right now

BTW- That is some XJ you've got there.
Unread 06-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #85
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Epoxy finished. Doors closed. Now it's clouded over with intermittent rain showers. 3 days curing... then finally hoist time!!

Unread 06-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #86
mmcmanus9442
1999 WJ 

looks great; now would be a great time to install some solar panels and start getting your money back!
mmcmanus9442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #87
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

We're not allowed to sell back to the grid but a log stove may happen
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #88
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

A buddy came over and we had the 45 feet of 6-3 pulled through the underground conduit in 10 minutes start to finish. It was so easy.

I buried the conduit almost 3 months ago and poured the cement slab and walls then framed and roofed all the while wondering how difficult it would be. I used 1 1/2 conduit and had pulled a cheap yellow rope through it. Today I stripped 8 inches off of the wire and took two wire ends and laced them through the segments in the rope and folded them over. Then just taped everything together. You can see under my messy deck (still waiting to get cleaned up) where the wire attached to the rope and the yet to be pulled through remaining 20 feet.

It took no effort to pull the wire.

Unread 06-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #89
timmysyj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
We're not allowed to sell back to the grid but a log stove may happen
My father had the same idea to try and sell back to the grid when he put a new roof on his shop a few years ago. They told him no way what so ever. According to the township he lives in, when there is a power failure and a line goes down (snow storm, traffic accident, etc) in the past they have had people electrocuted because there isnt some sort of breaker to stop the line from being fed.

Back on topic, i'm not sure what im more jealous about. The lift, the new shop, or the fact that it isnt cluttered with crap! It would probably only take me an afternoon to fill it up though!

Keep up the good work! You have both my wife and bank account scared!
timmysyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #90
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmysyj View Post
My father had the same idea to try and sell back to the grid when he put a new roof on his shop a few years ago. They told him no way what so ever. According to the township he lives in, when there is a power failure and a line goes down (snow storm, traffic accident, etc) in the past they have had people electrocuted because there isnt some sort of breaker to stop the line from being fed.

Back on topic, i'm not sure what im more jealous about. The lift, the new shop, or the fact that it isnt cluttered with crap! It would probably only take me an afternoon to fill it up though!

Keep up the good work! You have both my wife and bank account scared!
About the breaker and feed back. We used to live in a remote little village/ghost-community that really was just a summer vacation spot way up north to most of you guys ;-) 3 or 4 families lived there year-round and we were one of them. The power would go out and stay off for longer than 12 hours on occasion,

We bought a generator and used it as needed. We would always turn off the main breaker and one night, mid-night to be exact, a power company truck rolled up and the guy told us to turn off our generator. It was -48. and the previous night it got down to an official -54. I asked him how long to get the power up and he said maybe by first light- to noon. I said I understood his concern but did he understand that we would be entirely frozen up by then. Heat tape, well house, our plumbing, our new little baby... He said that wasn't his problem but we had to turn off the generator. I asked him to just let us know when to turn it off and he said no. I told him I'ld turn it off if he could guarantee us hotel, food, and a restoation of our home. He didn't answer and walked away. I left it running, the power came on and I unplugged the generator 8 hours later. We never saw him again in the 7 years we lived up there.

BTW- I waited until I was almost 51 years old to do this... I built a skookum timber garage up north that was a bit too small so this one is still small at 22x22 but it works better for me. Maybe you don't need to wait as long as I did for the second garage! I'ld encourage you not to :-) You are building an asset and increasing the value of your overall investment- that is a good thing and money in the bank!

Tags
garage , garage build , garage built write-up , lift

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.