New garage with lift! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > New garage with lift!

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #61
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Can I come over and play, my mommy said it was OK

NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #62
mpentz1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

fyi you could try bedlining the area that your jeep will be in/around/on top of. I know it's not an epoxy solution, but just an idea. I wonder if it's even possible...

That way you could drop anything under the sun on it, drag your favorite piece of scrap metal across it, spill corrosive acid on it, and still come out with a winner..

Or it could be a terrible idea and impossible.
mpentz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #63
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

there's gotta be someone who's tried it. my guess is that you'd have to prime first or put it over the epoxy. personally i like my lenolleum (sp?).
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #64
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The best thing I like about the garage is the fact he brought the cement walls up that tall. My garage does not do that and water leaks in along with a host of other problems. Also having them that tall makes hosing the floor down very easy.
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #65
mcneil
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What a great job you did on this garage!

I'd say spring for the best 2-part epoxy coating you can find. You get what you pay for, and that includes the prep material too.

About 10 years back I was running a campus auto shop - 75 year old concrete floors (you could see where they filled in the "pit" when the lift was put in). We degreased, washed, and etched the floor, then coated it. The most work was moving out all the equipment. Well, 10 years later that 2-part coating has held up everywhere except where someone dropped slag from the torch. It's been soaked, greased, engines and 5-ton jacks dragged across it. The only thing that could hurt it were those big globs you get when someone doesn't get a clean cut with an oxy-acyt torch. Even then, it just burns a little hole - no flaking. Great stuff, that floor.

And the best thing we did for lighting was cleaned the ceiling and put a fresh coat of white paint. Makes for a lot of non-blinding shadow-free light.
mcneil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #66
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCUNLIMITED View Post
Can I come over and play, my mommy said it was OK
Come on over. Bud's on tap!

Oh yeah- don't forget your hammer ;-)
Unread 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #67
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpentz1 View Post
fyi you could try bedlining the area that your jeep will be in/around/on top of. I know it's not an epoxy solution, but just an idea. I wonder if it's even possible...

That way you could drop anything under the sun on it, drag your favorite piece of scrap metal across it, spill corrosive acid on it, and still come out with a winner..

Or it could be a terrible idea and impossible.
Yeah, but I'm a picky ba$!ard... I pick up the etcher and 4 gallons of white epoxy today. I should have the garage doors and windows in by Sunday. Then it'll be pour out the epoxy and 4:20 time!
Unread 06-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #68
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneil View Post
What a great job you did on this garage!

I'd say spring for the best 2-part epoxy coating you can find. You get what you pay for, and that includes the prep material too.

About 10 years back I was running a campus auto shop - 75 year old concrete floors (you could see where they filled in the "pit" when the lift was put in). We degreased, washed, and etched the floor, then coated it. The most work was moving out all the equipment. Well, 10 years later that 2-part coating has held up everywhere except where someone dropped slag from the torch. It's been soaked, greased, engines and 5-ton jacks dragged across it. The only thing that could hurt it were those big globs you get when someone doesn't get a clean cut with an oxy-acyt torch. Even then, it just burns a little hole - no flaking. Great stuff, that floor.

And the best thing we did for lighting was cleaned the ceiling and put a fresh coat of white paint. Makes for a lot of non-blinding shadow-free light.
I'm hoping the bright white coating on the back sides of the roofing will reflect back a lot of light. I'm also looking at two of those big metal halide shop lights to mount along the ridge. They are so expensive...
Unread 06-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #69
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby_3 View Post
The best thing I like about the garage is the fact he brought the cement walls up that tall. My garage does not do that and water leaks in along with a host of other problems. Also having them that tall makes hosing the floor down very easy.
On man- thanks for the reminder--- "buy foundation sealer"

I still have to coat the cement that is below grade. I better get it today while the weather is still good.
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #70
jpfelix
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
I'm also looking at two of those big metal halide shop lights to mount along the ridge. They are so expensive...
They are priced just right when there's and electrician in the family.

i have two hanging in the barn and two more to put up in the shed. they are nice, but they do take a while to warm up in the winter.

btw---i envy you and your garage!
jpfelix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #71
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Well, after 2 months of working 3 full-time jobs I finally got the Jeep under cover. Probability of rain tonight and I didn't feel like putting the top up so I asked the neighbours if I could cut through the corner of their property as the old shed has to get demolished for the new driveway access. Voila!! Parked!! A few small jobs like siding and wiring then finally the hoist!!

Unread 06-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #72
jim.p
2001 TJ Wrangler 

CF lighting.

I have 16 of these (see link below) in my 60' X 72' shop. They are cheap and do a good job for general lighting. They also come on without delay and I have all them on one 20 amp circuit (cheap to run). The only drawback I see is they are a little dim for about one min. when it's cold in the shop (40F), normal temp and I don't notice them being dim.

I would buy them again.

http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/E...mber=E-HB1F70U
jim.p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #73
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

That is one AWESOME shop~~ I would do a road trip just to come see that garage!!

'been following it for the last few weeks.. its a Man's Office you have made for yourself!!!
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #74
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.p View Post
I have 16 of these (see link below) in my 60' X 72' shop. They are cheap and do a good job for general lighting. They also come on without delay and I have all them on one 20 amp circuit (cheap to run). The only drawback I see is they are a little dim for about one min. when it's cold in the shop (40F), normal temp and I don't notice them being dim.
I would buy them again.
http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/E...mber=E-HB1F70U
I'm heading out tomorrow (closest store 1.5 hours away = most of a work day blown) to look for that type of light. Thanks.
Unread 06-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #75
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prd_cdn View Post
That is one AWESOME shop~~ I would do a road trip just to come see that garage!!
'been following it for the last few weeks.. its a Man's Office you have made for yourself!!!
Only one new pic the new play-pen! Spent most of the day cutting up then welding the garage door track into a high-lift version... Got them and the door mounted. Now I need to find longer cables as I've lengthened the verttical rise by 4 feet or so...

Tags
garage , garage build , garage built write-up , lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.