post #46 of Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 AM
jeep795
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: warren, ma
Posts: 1,052
i really considered painting the floor of my garage but realized how much it gets beat up and decided against it. dragging a transmission, motor, or axle across the floor would really dig it up. i ended up putting down a patch of vinyl floor where i do messy work and the rest i just sweet real good and sometimes mop.

i really like the way the garage is coming out though. good work.

jeep795 is offline  
post #47 of Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep795 View Post
i really considered painting the floor of my garage but realized how much it gets beat up and decided against it. dragging a transmission, motor, or axle across the floor would really dig it up. i ended up putting down a patch of vinyl floor where i do messy work and the rest i just sweet real good and sometimes mop.

i really like the way the garage is coming out though. good work.
Hi there. Do you know if the epoxy floor coatings can survive stuff getting dragged over them than painted floors? I've never seen an epoxy coated floor...

Thanks,
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #48 of Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Ridin' Around
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester, Illinois
Posts: 2,210







We did the floor, in a shop I used to work in, with 2 part. That floor held up very well. There was some chipping of the paint where the arms of the lift slid back & forth. We did tractor & lawnmower repair in there, and that floor took alot of abuse. Also there were a few small burn holes where guys had used the torch, the glowing slag pieces will burn through it when they fall off. The acid etching made a huge difference, you could tell when we missed an area. Maybe it's different with new concrete though.

We slid all kinds of metal tractor crates & pallets over it everyday, never did any damage to it with that stuff. It also made sweeping & cleaning faster, as well. The next week after we painted, we replaced every bulb in the shop. For a week or so all of the guys wore sunglasses instead of clear safety glasses!

Good luck, very nice space you have coming together. I am jealous!
Ridin' Around is offline  
post #49 of Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by binski View Post
That will be a sweet set up! I'm very envious

It's been a dream of mine, but alas ... no space at the existing digs.

binski
Thanks! You built that red trailer right? It looks awesome! What did you use for your trailer axle?
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #50 of Old 06-09-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around View Post

We did the floor, in a shop I used to work in, with 2 part. That floor held up very well. There was some chipping of the paint where the arms of the lift slid back & forth. We did tractor & lawnmower repair in there, and that floor took alot of abuse. Also there were a few small burn holes where guys had used the torch, the glowing slag pieces will burn through it when they fall off. The acid etching made a huge difference, you could tell when we missed an area. Maybe it's different with new concrete though.

We slid all kinds of metal tractor crates & pallets over it everyday, never did any damage to it with that stuff. It also made sweeping & cleaning faster, as well. The next week after we painted, we replaced every bulb in the shop. For a week or so all of the guys wore sunglasses instead of clear safety glasses!

Good luck, very nice space you have coming together. I am jealous!
Thanks for the pics and info. Do you know what brand of 2 part epoxy was used? Sunglasses, exactly what I'm looking for- literally... If I drop that cotter pin I'll find it on a white floor!
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #51 of Old 06-09-2009, 10:39 AM
binski
Registered User
 
binski's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Indialantic,FL
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Thanks! You built that red trailer right? It looks awesome! What did you use for your trailer axle?
Yes, that was me. The axle was a 2500# job with idler hubs from a old generator trailer. SUA setup. I just completed a 2nd one for my brother's JK that was a 3500# idler setup with brake flanges for a future upgrade.

I really would like to someday have a lift in my garage as well. I might someday build a workshop in Colorado that would essentally be a small apartment over a 2-car setup/workshop. Seeing your plans made me realize that your "carport" could be my apartment area. It gets ya think'in!

Binski
Christian Jeep Club Member 257
Red Jeep Club Member 245
binski is offline  
post #52 of Old 06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Ridin' Around
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester, Illinois
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Thanks for the pics and info. Do you know what brand of 2 part epoxy was used? Sunglasses, exactly what I'm looking for- literally... If I drop that cotter pin I'll find it on a white floor!
It came from the local Sherwin Williams, I believe. Don't remember the name on it. I know there were 2 price options and we used the cheap stuff on part of the showroom. It was user friendly enough that we did not need the masks & stuff. However, it was peeling & cracking, with just foot traffic, in a couple of months. When we decided to do the shop, we went with the more expensive option. That stuff had us all really loopy after applying it & we had to kill the heaters & pilot lights in the building for 24 hours, because of the fumes.
Ridin' Around is offline  
post #53 of Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
retroron
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ma
Posts: 178
WOW that's awsome just awsome

Jesus saves
christian jeepclub#170
retroron is offline  
post #54 of Old 06-10-2009, 01:32 AM
timatoe
Registered User
 
timatoe's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 14,694
My local HomeDepot will special order the 2 part epoxy, just an FYI if you're having trouble finding any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline  
post #55 of Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
My local HomeDepot will special order the 2 part epoxy, just an FYI if you're having trouble finding any.
Thank you for the info. Yesterday I was on the phone with my NAPA buddy and he found white 2 part epoxy and ordered it in with etching solution. The bill may be as high as 250 but I got the white color I wanted...
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #56 of Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,983
Also- I returned the scaffolding this AM... That's nice to be over and done with finally.

Now lighting is the next question??? I can't really imagine using fluorescents. I'm thinking about two or four big overhead lights hanging just below or beside the main beam.

Are these babies expensive or is there a trick to using something for major lighting that won't break the bank?
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #57 of Old 06-10-2009, 12:29 PM
FLATFENDER54
Registered User
 
FLATFENDER54's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: OKLAHOMA
Posts: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Now lighting is the next question??? I can't really imagine using fluorescents. I'm thinking about two or four big overhead lights hanging just below or beside the main beam.
Are these babies expensive or is there a trick to using something for major lighting that won't break the bank?
these lights work pretty good in the shop my family built. They were kind of expensive but only needed three above the bays. I dont remember the price but they were several hundred each

01 TJ Sahara 4"short arm/rear gas&tire
carrier bumper/front winch bumper winch/detroitEzhttp://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...d/DSC01873.jpg
1954 WILLYS CJ3B (under construction) http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...4/DSC01301.jpg
FLATFENDER54 is offline  
post #58 of Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATFENDER54 View Post
these lights work pretty good in the shop my family built. They were kind of expensive but only needed three above the bays. I dont remember the price but they were several hundred each
Awesome- exactly what I was thinking- but they may be too powerful... can that ever be the case? Maybe only two? My space is only 22x22.

I'm getting a nose bleed and vertigo looking at your shop pic!! Talk about tall!

BTW- Nice flat fender. My wife knows I'ld like to build one up as my next project.

Last edited by jeepsterjc; 06-10-2009 at 01:59 PM.
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #59 of Old 06-10-2009, 02:42 PM
agronomya
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Holly Springs
Posts: 131
Never really been into garage/shop porn all that much but that's starting to change.

2009 JKU - Stock so far
2009 VW Jetta TDi (Wife's)
agronomya is offline  
post #60 of Old 06-10-2009, 10:18 PM
jeep795
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: warren, ma
Posts: 1,052
i know the dealership i worked at had an awesome floor, cost alot of money to do it, after a good number of years there was some bubling and peeling and some burnt spots from torches. it scratched, but it usually took something pretty heavy to do it. it lasted for maybe 10 years though. i can't see that paint being all that much different from something you'd get at sherwin williams or home depot though.

i just couldn't bring myself to do it with all the heavy crap i still drop out from under my rigs while on my back, then drag out from underneath it.
jeep795 is offline  
Reply

Tags
garage , garage build , garage built write-up , lift


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Garage handyman48066 General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 3 01-05-2010 07:36 PM
Garage Hoist JIMBOX Fabrication Shop 0 08-15-2009 08:37 AM
Which Auto Lift for Garage? Houdini3 Fabrication Shop 4 03-05-2007 10:06 PM
I really wish I had a garage.... Shinner General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 8 10-06-2005 06:43 AM
New toy for the garage... rmagers Fabrication Shop 5 11-06-2003 07:18 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome