New to Forum : Sunroof Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > New to Forum : Sunroof Questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
KentuckyJeep
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

New to Forum : Sunroof Questions

Hello all,

Im new to this Forum. I currently have a forest Green 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport and I LOVE it. Ive been thinking of how cool it would be to get a sunroof installed in my Jeep. Some questions about that :
Do they even install sunroofs onto cars that did not originally have them?
Price?
Manual or electric?
Please let me know if you have had a sunroof installed on your Jeep and how much it was.... Thank you!

KentuckyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

yes it is possible to install one. manual or electric either one can be installed.

price will vary largely on the sunroof you have installed and i am sure shop rates will vary largely as well. with some confidence, they are not rocket science to install yourself.

i had an electric sunroof in my 97 XJ, but it was in it when i bought it.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
KentuckyJeep
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

Thank you. Is yours electric or manual?
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

it was electric with a pretty nice small upper console that housed the control switch. it looked factory in it.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Take it from someone who works on sunroofs every day: Never, NEVER have a sunroof installed in a non-sunroof car.

Every single sunroof installation in the history of the car has been a butcher job. They all suck, and none of them are even close to being as good as a factory sunroof.

First, the factory roof itself is stronger if it's meant to have a sunroof.

Second, the headliner is made with the hole in it. For an add-on, they have to cut a hole and try and roll the liner around the new hole. They never last. Plus, the headliner is weaker and sags because it's also not meant to have a sunroof.

Third, they always do crap jobs of installing the drain tubes, whereas the factory installs the tubes when there's no interior or dash in the car and it's easy to do it right.

Finally, aftermarket sunroof are simply just not as good. Work on enough and you'll know this, but if you want the advice of someone who has to work on them (I do water leaks and wind noises for about 17 dealerships in this area, and most are from sunroofs so I've seen them all), stay away from add-on sunroofs.

They look okay for awhile, then the work starts to deteriorate.
Unread 05-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I installed an Elixer sunroof on a 1986 Honda Civic Hatchback (sorry.....). Didn't leak a drop, headliner held up well. Best thing I ever did to that car.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
KentuckyJeep
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

So many mixed reviews but I think I'll not install it

Tags
1999 , cherokee , jeep , sport , sunroof

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.