New to fabrication - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > New to fabrication

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 08-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

New to fabrication

Hello all, I am new to fabrication and am currently learning to weld from my finances father. I want to work with tube and attempt to fab up my own tube bumper with a prerunner. My question is would a the 12 ton hydraulic pipe bender and tubing notcher from harbor freight work for me. The only bend I would need to make over 90 degrees is the stinger/prerunner. Everything else is 90 and under. I plan on using 1 3/4 inch tube, what size welder would I need? Would a 70 amp arc welder be okay? I plan on getting the welder from HF aswell as I'm not going to be doing this all of the time just the occasional thing now and then. What is the heaviest material I could use a 70amp arc welder on?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum so it probably looks goofy.

RagTagSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagTagSoldier View Post
Hello all, I am new to fabrication and am currently learning to weld from my finances father. I want to work with tube and attempt to fab up my own tube bumper with a prerunner. My question is would a the 12 ton hydraulic pipe bender and tubing notcher from harbor freight work for me. The only bend I would need to make over 90 degrees is the stinger/prerunner. Everything else is 90 and under. I plan on using 1 3/4 inch tube, what size welder would I need? Would a 70 amp arc welder be okay? I plan on getting the welder from HF aswell as I'm not going to be doing this all of the time just the occasional thing now and then. What is the heaviest material I could use a 70amp arc welder on?

With a little "tweeking" of the bender, you could make it work. Because 'pipe' and 'tube' are different, you could place a half piece of 1 3/4" tube in the die so it wouldn't flatten out the tube on bending. Search the net for harbor freight bender on tube and you'll see what I mean. The notcher will work for your purposes as well if you have a drill press.

I'm not a fan of HF welders....but to each his own. I know the decision to get a HF anything is cost driven...but in this case I always recommend saving a few more bucks for the entry level lincoln or hobart welders. I'd even suggest skipping the notcher and using those dollars toward the welder. You can do just about any notch with a grinder and some practice. Cheers friend...happy fabbin' !
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Thank you. I will start by getting my own welder FIRST so I can practice my technique when away from the garage. So I can drop a bit more on the welder . What amp would be a foot starting amp welder. I hear arc welders are extremely versatile

Unread 08-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
AtTheHelm

I'd just get mig/flux core welder. The hobart handler 140 would be a great choice for you imo.
Too bad you're not closer to me as I have one for sale.
Also the HF bender will work, but you have to get a little creative. On the bigger sizes, you really can't bend any more than 60* and you've got to fill with sand. Nominal 1" pipe (1.32") bends great in it though. The dies are cut for pipe sizes, so you are restricted to pipe size. Check with your steel supplier for 'pipe size tube' with is rated structural A500 and not regular pipe.

If you plan on doing much more than just one bumper, just save and get a real tube bender. You could always sell it later and get most of your money back.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

I remember my father having a Buzz box in his she he hasn't touched in years. Maybe that will work. I'll check it out when I get off work and report back with the make and type. Maybe I can save a few bucks if he gives it to me lol.

Unread 08-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

The buzz box is a farmhand 85 wire feed welder, is this okay

Unread 08-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

85 amps is too small for any serious fab work- you will fight all sorts of penetration problems among other issues. It would be a good little welder to start learning with, especially if its free... get your consistency down, learn to work the puddle, etc. when welding most joint types with a 110V machine; you have to have a fairly large root opening or bevel to weld into to ensure complete penetration. Ive got a little lincoln sp-135- its older but with .035 flux core its OK for thin material (1/4" and under), but I usually just use it to tack stuff together, then take my workpiece in to the shop I work at, and weld it with a 220V machine. the 135 is OK for bumpers and the likes, but I wouldnt use it weld any suspension brackets, axle stuff, or anything that takes any sort of structural load.

my advice would be to learn to stick weld, it is much harder to learn, but once you get it; you can pick up any other welding process pretty quickly. Plus, a good quality 220V AC/DC machine can be had for relatively cheap. As for the HF pipe bender, dont bother... if you wanna turn a $250 stick of D.O.M. into a pile of flattened ****, go for it. spend the extra $ on a JD2 manual bender. The HF notcher is OK, just buy a GOOD hole saw, lenox is the best.
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Since it is free I might start with it is a wire feed welder, no gas. Being 85amps what is the thickest steel I can weld with it?

Unread 08-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

with an 85 amp machine, 1/8" wall will pretty much be its max while still achieving complete pentration; 3/16" if you run it real slow with a big root opening/ bevel.
Unread 08-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDubyaJ
with an 85 amp machine, 1/8" wall will pretty much be its max while still achieving complete pentration; 3/16" if you run it real slow with a big root opening/ bevel.
Should be good enough for what I need while learning, thanks!

Unread 08-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
Joe6Pack74
1979 CJ7 

I bought a Century 100 gasless wire feed welder close to 15-20 years ago. It is not the one with the slanted face but the one that looks like a box. You can upgrade it to gas when you want. Used it a lot when I circle track raced and have done a lot with it. With the flux core you get splatter but I live with it.
Joe6Pack74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.