New angle grinder, noob with one though - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > New angle grinder, noob with one though

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #31
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I ask nubtard questions all the time on here... but I never got taught anything about vehicles from parents/friends/relatives... everything I can do to a vehicle now I learned from my YJ and you all... YJ never ran stopped or anything and now it runs and drives, haven't had time to sit out there and bleed brakes long enough to get it to stop though... working on fixing up the tub/frame as well, all seats are out. I'm glad someone else benefited from this as well, and maybe if any other newbs get a grinder they'll search for this lol.

Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #32
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I really think this is the first tool related post I have seen im regards of how to use it and I like it.
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #33
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah... my first experience with a sawzall was a bit scary, but i was afraid to ask about that on here lol, but I survived, and it did what I needed it too... glad I got this grinder... now I can finally get that pesky back track bar off as well >
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #34
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980
I ask nubtard questions all the time on here... but I never got taught anything about vehicles from parents/friends/relatives... everything I can do to a vehicle now I learned from my YJ and you all... YJ never ran stopped or anything and now it runs and drives, haven't had time to sit out there and bleed brakes long enough to get it to stop though... working on fixing up the tub/frame as well, all seats are out. I'm glad someone else benefited from this as well, and maybe if any other newbs get a grinder they'll search for this lol.
Everyone has to learn sometime. Some of us just learn earlier than others. I grew up turning wrenches and would consider myself pretty mechanically inclined. However, for a lot of things regarding jeep work, I usually consult this place first. I can usually pick up little tips and tricks that make the job easier. This place is a great resource.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #35
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelite
Everyone has to learn sometime. Some of us just learn earlier than others. I grew up turning wrenches and would consider myself pretty mechanically inclined. However, for a lot of things regarding jeep work, I usually consult this place first. I can usually pick up little tips and tricks that make the job easier. This place is a great resource.
I'm learning as I go. I was able to tell you the OP how to use the girder because I had to figure it out myself one day. I've learned a lot of what I know from this site and my jeep. I can't afford to have work done so I gotta dig in and do what I can.
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #36
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
I'm learning as I go. I was able to tell you the OP how to use the girder because I had to figure it out myself one day. I've learned a lot of what I know from this site and my jeep. I can't afford to have work done so I gotta dig in and do what I can.
Exactly, same here. This site is jeep heaven basically. I didn't even know how to change a spark plug till I got my jeep... and i didn't start learning till my moms bf pulled my plug wires and coil wire out... thats when I learned firing order. From there on I've been fixing everything I can.
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #37
2xCross

Some days at work I spend all shift with a grinder in my hand. It is common for me to use more than a dozen in a shift, I prefer the Hilti or metabo brands but they do cost a bit more but do last longer and don't smell quite as bad while the blade is being consumed/used up. I always use the paper washers that come with the discs, the ones with steel center don't need them.
2xCross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #38
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xCross
Some days at work I spend all shift with a grinder in my hand. It is common for me to use more than a dozen in a shift, I prefer the Hilti or metabo brands but they do cost a bit more but do last longer and don't smell quite as bad while the blade is being consumed/used up. I always use the paper washers that come with the discs, the ones with steel center don't need them.
When I worked for a welding shop, all we used were metabo grinders. They are a great tool.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #39
spward

1985 CJ7 

When looking at a grinder, I prefer ones that have a spring loaded action so if I drop it, it powers down, I know some of the older ones had an actual switch with a locked position. Eye protection is a must, I wear safety glasses and a faceshield. Something to also be mindful of is where the rooster tail is going. A welders cap can save your scalp and watch out for small debris that can start a fire, it is possible for it to smolder for over an hour. If I grind, I try to do it all outside on the driveway. A welding screen might be worthwhile if you have a bunch of crap in your garage.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #40
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The small jobs are usually what gets people hurt.
Thinking it is only one small bolt to cut off, so they don't wear glasses.
One quick grind on something, they don't bother with gloves.
A cutoff wheel can catch and shatter sending pieces flying on the simplest of cuts. Don't take any chances.

I buy Dewalt cutoff wheels at Tractor Supply. Good deal for $1.99. I've tried the HF ones. in the end, they aren't worth it. They just don't last.
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #41
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz
The small jobs are usually what gets people hurt. Thinking it is only one small bolt to cut off, so they don't wear glasses. One quick grind on something, they don't bother with gloves. A cutoff wheel can catch and shatter sending pieces flying on the simplest of cuts. Don't take any chances. I buy Dewalt cutoff wheels at Tractor Supply. Good deal for $1.99. I've tried the HF ones. in the end, they aren't worth it. They just don't last.
This. I'm guilty of hardly wearing gloves or glasses and rely on my beard to protect my face when I'm wearing glasses. I've gotten to the point that I wear hearing protection religiously, which should also be worn when using a grinder.
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #42
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
This. I'm guilty of hardly wearing gloves or glasses and rely on my beard to protect my face when I'm wearing glasses. I've gotten to the point that I wear hearing protection religiously, which should also be worn when using a grinder.
I have some hearing protection for shooting, but they won't fit with the face shield :/
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #43
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980
I have some hearing protection for shooting, but they won't fit with the face shield :/
Lowes and Home Depot have those 100 packs of foam plugs for cheap. Get a pack
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #44
spward

1985 CJ7 

^ This.
I should use them more often, but my hearing is shot after the military. They were nice enough to have my baseline reset twice in 6 years.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #45
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, so I have my face shield/safety goggles gloves etc, picking up my diamond plate rockers from post office tomorrow... and doing my first series of cutting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.