New angle grinder, noob with one though - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > New angle grinder, noob with one though

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

New angle grinder, noob with one though

Hi, I'm a newb when it comes to this thing, but I Picked one up since I see everyone always saying they used it for this and that... So I just had a few questions... It's a 4 1/2" angle grinder, 7.5 amp. Now, my question is, what type of attachment would I need to cut a section of the tub out on my jeep? I'm getting the diamond plate rockers, and I'm looking to just cut the rust spot out entirely to eliminate it, and prime it so it won't rust again. Do I use a metal grinder, or is there a cut wheel or something? Last question, would this grinder work to cut a section of the frame out thats rusted through as well, and if so what attachment for that? Thank you guys a lot and sorry if I sound like an idiot. Lol

Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980
Hi, I'm a newb when it comes to this thing, but I Picked one up since I see everyone always saying they used it for this and that... So I just had a few questions... It's a 4 1/2" angle grinder, 7.5 amp. Now, my question is, what type of attachment would I need to cut a section of the tub out on my jeep? I'm getting the diamond plate rockers, and I'm looking to just cut the rust spot out entirely to eliminate it, and prime it so it won't rust again. Do I use a metal grinder, or is there a cut wheel or something? Last question, would this grinder work to cut a section of the frame out thats rusted through as well, and if so what attachment for that? Thank you guys a lot and sorry if I sound like an idiot. Lol
Just get some good metal cutting disk. Wear a face shield. Long sleeves and gloves with boots and long pants. You'll be good. Or get a sawzall
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Grinding wheel is exactly that for grinding, get a cutting disc for cutting. If you decide to get a wire brush wheel, get the knotted wheel, unless you like pulling wire out of your pants, shirts, arms, legs, etc.....

X's 2 btw on the sawzall.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, and I plan to get a sawzall as well at some point, I just figured a grinder would be easier for cutting the tub, and would my grinder be strong enough for cutting the frame?
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980
Thanks guys, and I plan to get a sawzall as well at some point, I just figured a grinder would be easier for cutting the tub, and would my grinder be strong enough for cutting the frame?
I would use a sawzall or OXY ACE torch on the frame you'll chew through disk. With a cutoff wheel.

5 essential tools for Jeeps

1. Cut off wheel
2. Sawzall
3. B.F.H.
4. Welder
5. Oxy/ace Torch or Plasma Cutter.
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alright thanks.
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
I would use a sawzall or OXY ACE torch on the frame you'll chew through disk. With a cutoff wheel.

5 essential tools for Jeeps

1. Cut off wheel
2. Sawzall
3. B.F.H.
4. Welder
5. Oxy/ace Torch or Plasma Cutter.
You forgot goggle/face shield! You can replace jeeps, but not eyes!

For the OP, you *can* use a cutoff wheel (cutoff wheels will be thinner & look kind of like fiberglass/carbon fiber-ish). How much fun it will be depends on how much you're cutting. I got a big package of wheels at Harbor Freight for a few bucks. Depending on the thickness of the sheet metal, you should be able to get anywhere from 2"-12" cuts out of each wheel. When the wheel is ground down to where it's hard to get in the cut, it's time to replace it.

Try to keep the wheel at right angles to the surface. Try not to twist it too much or create a sharp bend in your cut. If you do, the wheel can shatter. Did you catch the comment above about eye protection?

What I usually do is rough cut with the cutoff wheel, then use the grinding wheel to final shape & smooth finish.
jred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jred View Post
You forgot goggle/face shield! You can replace jeeps, but not eyes!

For the OP, you *can* use a cutoff wheel (cutoff wheels will be thinner & look kind of like fiberglass/carbon fiber-ish). How much fun it will be depends on how much you're cutting. I got a big package of wheels at Harbor Freight for a few bucks. Depending on the thickness of the sheet metal, you should be able to get anywhere from 2"-12" cuts out of each wheel. When the wheel is ground down to where it's hard to get in the cut, it's time to replace it.

Try to keep the wheel at right angles to the surface. Try not to twist it too much or create a sharp bend in your cut. If you do, the wheel can shatter. Did you catch the comment above about eye protection?

What I usually do is rough cut with the cutoff wheel, then use the grinding wheel to final shape & smooth finish.
Thanks! I plan to get a face shield/goggles and finally pick up some gloves. Its just small sections I am looking to cut, on the frame its about 6" long, and 3" wide max maybe... and on the tub its about 4"x4"
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jred
You forgot goggle/face shield! You can replace jeeps, but not eyes! For the OP, you *can* use a cutoff wheel (cutoff wheels will be thinner & look kind of like fiberglass/carbon fiber-ish). How much fun it will be depends on how much you're cutting. I got a big package of wheels at Harbor Freight for a few bucks. Depending on the thickness of the sheet metal, you should be able to get anywhere from 2"-12" cuts out of each wheel. When the wheel is ground down to where it's hard to get in the cut, it's time to replace it. Try to keep the wheel at right angles to the surface. Try not to twist it too much or create a sharp bend in your cut. If you do, the wheel can shatter. Did you catch the comment above about eye protection? What I usually do is rough cut with the cutoff wheel, then use the grinding wheel to final shape & smooth finish.
Read my first post !
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Sawzall with "torch" blades for the frame
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X
Sawzall with "torch" blades for the frame
I'd rather use a cutoff wheel. The chassis is only. 1/8" thick
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Read my first post !
Ah, yes, I didn't notice the username. Still, a noob with a angle grinder needs extra reminders! :P

Oh yeah, Tyler, make a couple of practice cuts in the center of the area you're cutting out to get the feeling of the tool.

I remember the first time I took an angle grinder to a set of tins. The worry that I would screw it all up. It ended up being so much easier than I expected. Just remember this:

We all screwed it up the first couple times
jred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not to harp on the eye pro but I use a face shield and glasses. I've had to have metal dug out of my eye twice. It really isn't fun. The trick to using a face shield is to keep it nice. Don't put it down on the ground face down. As soon as the plastic gets hard to see though you wont use it. I've also had to remove a 1" wire from my neck that was in for months.

RANDOM NOTES:

A cutoff wheel on a grinder will work fine for the frame.

I use Makita units. I've found them to last. I use 4 different ones, each with a different wheel. Saves a ton of time.

Note its rotation. This is especially important with a wire wheel. It will jump at you if catching an edge improperly.

Always wear a glove on the opposite hand. I dont use one on the hand that holds the grinder but I have a couple scars on the left hand.

Unplug when changing disks. The button that pins the shaft is close and similar to the on button.

A nick from a cuttoff wheel might be stitchable.

A nick from a wire wheel will create a big hole that will be unstichable.
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #14
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis
Not to harp on the eye pro but I use a face shield and glasses. I've had to have metal dug out of my eye twice. It really isn't fun. The trick to using a face shield is to keep it nice. Don't put it down on the ground face down. As soon as the plastic gets hard to see though you wont use it. I've also had to remove a 1" wire from my neck that was in for months. RANDOM NOTES: A cutoff wheel on a grinder will work fine for the frame. I use Makita units. I've found them to last. I use 4 different ones, each with a different wheel. Saves a ton of time. Note its rotation. This is especially important with a wire wheel. It will jump at you if catching an edge improperly. Always wear a glove on the opposite hand. I dont use one on the hand that holds the grinder but I have a couple scars on the left hand. Unplug when changing disks. The button that pins the shaft is close and similar to the on button. A nick from a cuttoff wheel might be stitchable. A nick from a wire wheel will create a big hole that will be unstichable.
This post is so important.

Face shields are just that, for your face. It still leaves room for something to get underneath it. Eye protection is mandatory. I always wear eye protection, even when wrenching under my jeep with hand tools.

The part about unplugging the grinder when changing discs is huge. It's something I do all the time. This also applies to changing drill bits, saw blades, etc...
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #15
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Lots of valuable advice here. For what it's worth I have used a lot of different brands of cutting disks and nothing I have found yet compares to the Diablo brand disks that HD sells. Sure most other brands are a little cheaper but they will only last half as long or blow up easily.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.