Nervous as a long-tailed cat... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Nervous as a long-tailed cat...

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Nervous as a long-tailed cat...

I keep walking by this stoopid Jeep, with my pile of stoopid pipe, with my borrowed stoopid pipe bender! I'm scared to start. I lay in bed planning the cage design. I stand next to the Jeep planning my cage design. I even take measurements. I KNOW I'm gonna end up with 100' of wind chimes! I've done this whole freakin' Jeep, but I'm afraid to bend the pipe.

Help!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Just start doing it, and you'll be fine. I don't know how long I sat there and stared at the rocker panels on my F150, with a cutoff wheel and a Sawzall in my hand trying to work up the courage to start cutting. Once I did, every thing just clicked and fell into place.
Unread 01-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Just start with the main hoop(s) and go from there. One tube at a time... bite sized chunks. Before you know it, you've eaten all the Spinach (that stuff literally makes me gag) and it wasn't as bad as you thought.

If you're worried about bending wrong, make youself a chalk drawing on the floor of what you want to bend (if you don't have access to Bendtech) it'll help you visualize what you want to do.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Abaddon
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I agree just jump into it. keep the seems to the inside of the bend when you can and just start. yeah you might bend some tube wrong even the pros do just sit it to the side and alot of the time youll find some where to use it later.

Also if you dont have some kind of bend software check out JD2 web site. They have a tutorial on how to layout your bends without any software and it pretty easy and accurate and half the time faster then the software. Youll find it under "Printable Manuals" at the bottom on the left "Template Bending Tutorial"

They also have a few software for download Ive not used it but its there if itll help ease you into it.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I agree just jump into it. keep the seems to the inside of the bend when you can and just start. yeah you might bend some tube wrong even the pros do just sit it to the side and alot of the time youll find some where to use it later.

Also if you dont have some kind of bend software check out JD2 web site. They have a tutorial on how to layout your bends without any software and it pretty easy and accurate and half the time faster then the software. Youll find it under "Printable Manuals" at the bottom on the left "Template Bending Tutorial"

They also have a few software for download Ive not used it but its there if itll help ease you into it.
Thanks for the link. Vey helpful. Saved!! Wish I were using a JD2, but I am using an old HF 12 ton.

My buddy (AJ) loaned me his bender. He has built cages for race cars for years with it. His work looks great. He suggested I chalk a center line down each pipe for reference, and he explained how to find the pipe's center. What I didn't think to ask is how to be sure you are marking the SAME center at each end?? You could have a straight line but not on the same plane. Any help is appreciated.

Eddie... I LIKE Spinach!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well if you are not sure of the center of a bend add a little to it you can always trim some off the end. Adding to them is a pain in the a**. Sure you might waste a little but at least it's not a whole piece.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Rhymes with TRUCK, PLUCK, MUCK, STUCK, LUCK (as in NONE!), CRUCK, BLUCK, SCHNUCK... need I go on? PLURAL! As in WITH GREAT EMPHASIS! EXCLAIMING! LOUDLY!! SHOUTING AND THROWING TOOLS!!!
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE!

:
img_6067_1.jpg   img_6069_1.jpg   img_6070_1.jpg   img_6071_1.jpg   img_6068_1.jpg  

Unread 01-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I was only trying to bend the pipe for the beginning of the seat mounts. I want to go across the floor to catch the tub mounts at the front and rear of the seats. There would be four slight bends to make this happen, to make a nice contour around the tranny hump. The cage will bolt down at each tub mount, through the hull (so to speak), so the cage will be anchored at 6 tub mounts. I bought extra pipe for the purpose of learning, but I am not one of those guys that says, "Oh Well!" I expected to get this fairly quick!! What I DID get is the absolute fact that HARBOR FREIGHT BENDERS ARE... WHAT?? I can't say it! How does ANYBODY make a bend with one of these?

The previous pics show how I found the center of the tub, measured back to the edge of the tranny hump curve, transferred the measurements to the pipe, marked it up to the center of the die on the bender, then CRUSHED THE PIPE! Just like the YouTube videos show...
img_6074_1.jpg   img_6066_1.jpg  

Unread 01-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

those benders suck I've heard guys having luck with packing sand in them but I can tell you it didn't work for me!
rdsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
jason m
your ad here...

When you use a pipe bender you need to put each center die on the same hole. Another words the hole's on the top must match what center die is. Most pipe benders start at 3/4" and then work there way up to 1.5".
So the die must match the step or hole size if it does'nt then it will kink the pipe, bad.

The other thing is are using pipe or tube in that bender?

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
SkippyPB13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I heard the HF pipe benders aren't very good with tubing.

[url]www.SkippyKustoms.com[/url]
SkippyPB13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
When you use a pipe bender you need to put each center die on the same hole. Another words the hole's on the top must match what center die is. Most pipe benders start at 3/4" and then work there way up to 1.5".
So the die must match the step or hole size if it does'nt then it will kink the pipe, bad.

The other thing is are using pipe or tube in that bender?

Jason.
You lost me on the 'hole on top' stuff. Using 1 1/2" pipe, and 1 1/2" die. Not tubing. There are four rollers(?) on this bender. Two of them are for flat stock, and they are moved out of the way. I have moved the pipe rollers in and out to tighten and loosen the radius with no change. Hope you have the answer, cause I need it!! For every review that says this bender stinks, I can find 4 that says it's great. What's up with that? Thanks GUys...

Unread 01-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
Abaddon
1995 XJ Cherokee 

the rollers for that bender need to be in the furthest out position to start with

the try pumping the jack real slow letting it sit for a second after each pump of the jack once it bent to some degree you can move the rollers inward if needed

also the sand thing does help alittle bit but it must be packed into the pipe tightly and the duck tape the end

honestly i used the HF bender a couple times and every way i tried it i had a little kink but nothing like the pics you posted but it didnt take me long to scrap it

also the template tutorial from JD2 will work with any bender in finding where to locate your bends as the template is made using the bender you have so the principal is the same

if thats the bender your buddy uses to do his cages and stuff i would suggest asking him for advice if his stuff looks good apparently he has had more luck then anyone i know using it

good luck man dont let one failed attemp get you down we have all been there more then once
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

keep trying, drag aj over and have him walk you threw a few. (then tell me how, I've been looking at those benders every time I go to hf)
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
the rollers for that bender need to be in the furthest out position to start with

the try pumping the jack real slow letting it sit for a second after each pump of the jack once it bent to some degree you can move the rollers inward if needed

also the sand thing does help alittle bit but it must be packed into the pipe tightly and the duck tape the end

honestly i used the HF bender a couple times and every way i tried it i had a little kink but nothing like the pics you posted but it didnt take me long to scrap it

also the template tutorial from JD2 will work with any bender in finding where to locate your bends as the template is made using the bender you have so the principal is the same

if thats the bender your buddy uses to do his cages and stuff i would suggest asking him for advice if his stuff looks good apparently he has had more luck then anyone i know using it

good luck man dont let one failed attemp get you down we have all been there more then once
Ab... thanks for the encouraging words. I will try the sand trick, but what a PITA to do that with every piece. Still, if it works, it's a lot cheaper than buying a REAL bender! I saved the tutorial. It was helpful, but I think it is based upon their dies. Maybe it has changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
keep trying, drag aj over and have him walk you threw a few. (then tell me how, I've been looking at those benders every time I go to hf)
I haven't talked with AJ yet. That is my next and obvious route. When he loaned it to me he told me that it had been so long since he used it he had forgotten pretty much everything. His pics of his past work look great. I hope he can shed some light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.