Need some electrical guidance. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Need some electrical guidance.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Need some electrical guidance.

Hello everyone, so this is an electrical, kind of non-Jeep related question, hope it's ok in this forum. So I just recently purchase my Jeep, and am wanting to do all the fab work myself. So in preparation, I am wanting to get my garage wired with 240. Here's what it has now.

It's an old house, and has fuse boxes. I will post pics, but basically power comes in to a main 100 A breaker it looks like, then splits into separate boxes for the house and garage. I used a meter to check, and I have 240 volts running all the way to my fuse box in the garage. So my question is, should I upgrade my garage circuit to breaker boxes? And if so, what I have been able to figure out would be a 2 pole box coming off the main breaker, then a breaker box in the garage? I would REALLY appreciate some help on this one, just can't seem to get it nailed down through the research I have done, thanks in advance!

image-1106333686.jpg   image-71499427.jpg   image-3471488891.jpg  
macbethpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Bump for some help.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
scramblered
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, where to begin. I am assuming the fuse boxes you pictured are only for the garage. First a few questions; What is your budget? Are you able to do the work yourself. How is wire run to garage? What do plan to run off of this service? Are their local code/AHJ issues you also have to deal with? If you are not sure you can do this you obviously should get a professional to do the work. Good luck, Dave
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Yes, those are for the garage only, it has its own "sub-panel" I guess you would call it, that can be turned on and off, and has 30 A, and 20 A fuses in it. Power is fed from the main breaker to this box via the black, white, and red wires, which is also what is going out of the sub-panel to the garage. I can do the work myself, it's a VERY short distance to my garage fuse box from the power source, literally about 5-6 feet. So I could even run new wire. And as for what I want out of the service, I mostly want to be able to run a welder at higher voltage than 120, and MAYBE a 220 air compressor someday. As of now, that's all I see ever needing it for. Then budget, I really have no idea how much this will cost, some of the breaker boxes, and sub panels I have been looking at dont seem to be too much, but I guess $150-$200? Lastly, I am not sure of the codes, and would have to look into this. Thanks for the respons Dave, and the bump WSS.
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/home-...arage-2002.php

Helpful link for anyone else wondering, still needs some translation, but tons of information in there!
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

You might benefit from a new box past the sub panel. Maybe a square D "QO" style box that has 100amp main and a 60amp or two 220v and the rest 30, 20, 15 amp 110. I had to redo mine in my garage due to no ground and I made a new earth ground and now have decent 220 and 110v. It's not all that hard to do, put your 220v breakers in the center (110/110) and split the 110 load on either side. I'm not an electrician, So "reader beware" LOL.

The QO series is readily available at lowes or hd and probably the most common. Probably about $150 subpanel w/breakers and misc stuff to tie in. If you are doing receptacles as well the price can get up there. Here are some google pics:

Subpanel:

220 breaker:

110 breaker:

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

WSS, thank you so much! I really appreciate it, that definitely gives me a good starting point, and right on budget too! Thanks again!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.