Need opinion on welders ASAP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Need opinion on welders ASAP!!!

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
heavyhitter

Need opinion on welders ASAP!!!

I Have been tinkering with my YJ for a few months now and I realize I need a welder. I am going to build a couple of bumpers and do an 8.8 swap etc .. etc..

I decided for my application I will probably be best off with a wirefeeder flux core/mig setup.

The two welders I am deciding on are either the lincoln 3200hd or the lincoln 100hd What are the major differences???

93 YJ almighty 4banger, 31" bfg all terrains on 15x8 ar black steelies, 1.25" PA shackle lift, pioneer stereo system, herculined tub, TJ Flares, Rock Sliders, custom front & rear bumpers,
heavyhitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
76CherokeeChief

I would buy a miller 210. I am a miller fan.
76CherokeeChief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
schmoken

I've had my Hobart Handler 130 for 10 years now. Only complaint is the low duty cycle, but AFAIK, that's common with the 110V rigs.
schmoken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Seriously, there is at least a half dozen other threads on this subject already.
Unread 03-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
heavyhitter

I'm not too concerned about the duty cycle. I am in no hurry. Schmoken how has the hobart performed for you?? That is pretty much the same setup as what I am thinking about buying. I am buying the welder tomorrow. Given your experience which one would you buy and why??? the specs on the two machines are here hd100 vs the hd3200

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentseries.asp?browse=114|2690|
they are the 9th ant 14th ones on the list. TIA any input is appreciated

93 YJ almighty 4banger, 31" bfg all terrains on 15x8 ar black steelies, 1.25" PA shackle lift, pioneer stereo system, herculined tub, TJ Flares, Rock Sliders, custom front & rear bumpers,
Unread 03-04-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
heavyhitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
Seriously, there is at least a half dozen other threads on this subject already.

I understand how to use the search option. If you can find me the comparison ont these two welders post it please.

Unread 03-04-2006, 10:38 PM   #7
Blackjackbender

if your welding axle brackets and suspension items i wouldnt go lower then a 175. maybe a 135.
Unread 03-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
schmoken

Took a quick look at the setups. They seem to be very similar but with the 3200 you get a gas regulator too. That's a plus.
The 3200 is very close to my setup.
I did all my work with flux core wire. 90% of the time I was outside in the wind anyway.
My little 110V box was used on my old Jeep for perches in a spring over, a saginaw steering box mount, a bomebrew beefy ps pump mount/bracket, and bumpers. This was in '97/'98. No problems so far. That Jeep is still in the family going strong.
schmoken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #9
heavyhitter

Hey thanks I got the 3200 this morning someone else recomended it too. I appreciate the input it's nice to hear from personal experience. now I just have to figure out how to use it

Unread 03-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #10
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhitter
I understand how to use the search option. If you can find me the comparison ont these two welders post it please.
I've been welding for a couple of years now. I weld everything from 18 ga. sheet metal with TIG to 1 1/2" plate with stick, running it up above 150 amps. I've done some MIG, both short arc and spray arc and flux core, but I'm not a very big fan. I haven't used the Hobarts, but they're essentially re-badged Miller machines. I've used both Lincolns and Millers in all 4 processes and I prefer the arc that the Miller machines produce. If I was to buy a MIG/FCAW machine, I'd probably get a Hobart. My 2 cents, sorry if I sounded like a dick earlier.
Unread 03-05-2006, 03:30 PM   #11
heavyhitter

No worries mgertsch I know I'm a nubie at welding but I learn quickly and am not going to be using my welder for all that much stuff......... Well... now that I think of it I probably will use it more than I expected to. Mainly I wanted a machine that is capable relatively affordable and easy to learn on after researching the processes I think the lincoln 3200hd is going to suit me fine. It says it'l do 5/16 steel one pass with fcaw and 3/16 gmaw. I think this'll do me fine. It sounds like you have a good bit of experience do you weld for a living???

Unread 03-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #12
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in a fairly extensive welding program. I've got a semester and a half left. This semester, I'm doing all of my structural stuff which concentrates on AWS, AMSE and API specs mostly. I certify in SMAW, GMAW, FCAW and GTAW next semester. I need to figure out what GTAW (TIG) certifications I'm going to get. I think I'm leaning towards Nuke or FAA certs.
Unread 03-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #13
redneckjeepman

i sell welding supplys for a living . hobart and miller are both made by miller .
buy a 220v imput machine like a challanger 175 or mm210 or equlivent in hobart
and buy from a true weldingsupply dist not walmart or lowes then when you have a problem you can take with some one who knowes what there talking about
also plan on using shielding gas [argon/co2] flux cored wires spatter bad
and if you count cleanup time and spatter they cost the same price

hope this info helps

email thetransamman@alltell.net
redneckjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckjeepman
also plan on using shielding gas [argon/co2] flux cored wires spatter bad
and if you count cleanup time and spatter they cost the same price
A lot of people say that. Its my experience that if you hold a consistent stick out and run quality wire that the spatter isn't bad. I run a lot of E6010. That is my reference for something spattering a lot. A good general fab tubular wire is any high quality ER70T-GS. We run Hobart or Lincoln wire at school for the most part and the T-GS doesn't spatter at all. It has a nice light slag coat that generally just peels off as the weld cools. Even with hard wire, I wouldn't waste my money on argon for steel. 100% CO2 works well. Salesmen like mixes because they're more expensive. I prefer the feel of straight CO2 on steel.

Like I've told everyone else that asks about machines, go take a few classes. Find what you like and what works for you. I shake like crazy and have no patients but I absolutely love TIG.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.