Need Help, First front Bumper Build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Need Help, First front Bumper Build.

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 09-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Need Help, First front Bumper Build.

I got my steel, tools, and little knowledge. lol. But i am not set on one idea.
i like these style bumpers:
http://offtheback.net/projects.html

Id like to have multiple approach angles and maybe a medium stinger/hightube for lights. mounts for whinch in the future. but basically just like the first url. I now ran into a problem were i am beginning to like tube fenders and will want to build them too. I rarely see any pics with that style bumper(whatever its called) with tube fenders. i dont know if those would look good together.

I drew this picture on paint program just ignore the fenders. (JK style fender idea i came up with)

and i want to find out what program others use to make 3d draw ups so i can further share my ideas and get help.

biggest problem now is im not sure how bumper mounts on bottom side.

Open to any ideas, help, plans, pics, etc... Thanks in advance.

Unread 09-06-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
PBR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

just wing it and builld it haha.
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
njbowhntr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A good thing to do is find a local 4wd drive shop that carries the bumpers. Take a camera with you and take lots of pics of bumper mounting brackets. Then try to replicate at home.
Unread 09-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yeah ive thought of taking pictures but i dont know of any places near me nor do i know anyone with something like this. Does anyone know whether the front of the bumper actually contacts the tips of the frame or is there a gap and the only part of the bumper touching the frame is at the bolts. I would think with the gap there is less support. am a right.
Unread 09-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

should i build a basic square stubby that just wraps the frame horns and build off of that.
Unread 09-06-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If you look closely at the bumper on that yellow TJ, you can see the two bumper mounting bolts on the left frame rail.. next to the winch. I haven't taken a close look at that bumper but I would imagine the backside of the bumper is open.. or partially open, like a "C" channel.

You can do that same setup using some flat stock across the top of the frame rails and across the bottom of the frame rails. Then, start piecing the rest together.. like "pie plates".

Easiest way to do it for the home builder is to use posterboard. Do your entire bumper out of posterboard, then transfer the shapes to the steel and begin cutting/welding.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Besrk. i was hoping i can get your attention with this build. Your great builds have motivated me. and today i did start building with cardboard. porster borad would be more sturdy and stay were i want it to tho.
Unread 09-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
mfalik
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check out these pictures of a front TJ bumper. They should provide some insight for mounting and such.

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...Wrangler%20TJ/
2007 Mazda CX-7 (the new commuter car)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer (Rear Ended - TOTALED)
1998 VW Beetle (SOLD)
1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited - (SOLD)
mfalik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

Here's a picture of mine. I just had an idea in my head and went from there. Kind of like beserk said, I started with some flat stock bolted down and just kept adding on to it. Definatley use the poster board!

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfalik View Post
Check out these pictures of a front TJ bumper. They should provide some insight for mounting and such.

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...Wrangler%20TJ/
Thanks for that. It just gave me more ideas for strength. gussets on inside of bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan99 View Post
Here's a picture of mine. I just had an idea in my head and went from there. Kind of like beserk said, I started with some flat stock bolted down and just kept adding on to it. Definatley use the poster board!

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice bumper. what kind of paint did you use. i like the texture of it.
Unread 09-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

The paint is a por15 with a duplicolor spary in bed liner over that. I went that rout because I know it is going to get scratched and that stuff is really easy to sand smooth and touch up. As far as strength goes, I boxed the two side completley and left the middle open for easy access to the lights and for the winch bolts. I also plan on adding a front stinger on, but I am going to make to where it is removable. I have it planned out in my head, I am just waiting for my bender to do that project. Make sure you take alot of pics!!!
Unread 09-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Boxed ends, i like that. ididnt really want more places for mud to sit. lol more weight. less mileage. ha. mud is good. and so is stan99's bumper!
Unread 09-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #13
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

Those were my thoughts exactly. I didnt want a big old place for mud to sit! And also about the wait concern, I went with 1/8" for the back side and the rest of the bumper is 1/4". So the boxed ends didnt add to much more wait.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.