Need help finding the right welder - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-11-2004, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

Need help finding the right welder

I am moving into our new house soon, and I really would like to get a welder to work on some stuff for the Jeep and other things around the house. I want to mostly use it for exhaust, roof rack, and a few other things, and I think a MIG welder will work best. I would like to get a Hobart. The thickest metal I would work with would probably be 3/16", for a bumper. The welders range from $400 to $1600 at Northern Tools, and I dont want to buy a bigger welder than I need. Any advice on what to get?

Thanks.

Christian
89 XJ 4.0 AW4
K&N 6x9 cone filter setup
Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-13-2004, 06:11 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I would take the bite and pickup a 220 volt welder (probably Hobart's 175 amp model). It'll cost ya between $500-$600 but it'll do anything you'll ever need to do on a Jeep. If you start off with one of the 110 volt jobs (like a 100 or 135 amp) they are limited to around 3/16" maybe 1/4". With the bigger welder, you'll be able to do all the stuff you mentioned plus a whole lot more. I first picked up a 110 welder. After awhile I needed more penetration so I picked up a 220 volt stick welder. Finally, I moved on to a Lincoln 175 wirefeed. It's like a Cadillac compared to the other two.

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Chris_L

Always buy more welder than you think you will need. Get a 220 unit. Cyberweld.com has the best prices with no tax {unless you live in Jersey} and free shipping.

Buggy on 40's

post #4 of 9 Old 06-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Scrambler82

1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
I would take the bite and pickup a 220 volt welder (probably Hobart's 175 amp model). It'll cost ya between $500-$600 but it'll do anything you'll ever need to do on a Jeep. If you start off with one of the 110 volt jobs (like a 100 or 135 amp) they are limited to around 3/16" maybe 1/4". With the bigger welder, you'll be able to do all the stuff you mentioned plus a whole lot more. I first picked up a 110 welder. After awhile I needed more penetration so I picked up a 220 volt stick welder. Finally, I moved on to a Lincoln 175 wirefeed. It's like a Cadillac compared to the other two.

What he said...

Going bigger also allows you to run the welder longer at lower amperage ratings. (Longer Duty Cycles)

From the talk I have heard, the 175 Hobart is a good Welder and most don't need more.

Scrambler82

Do it right the first time !
post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2004, 01:37 PM
XJ99

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
I'm fairly new to welding. I bought a Lincoln Electric 100HD wire feed. I also bought the accessories to hook up the argon gas bottle. (I guess to weld aluminum) It's suppose to be a good all round welder. It can weld up to 1/4 steel. (More then I'll ever need) I think I paid about $425.00 for everything. Also get an auto-darkening helmet, they rock.

Good luck with your choice.

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Scrambler82

1982 CJ8 

Should work...

The gas is also used to weld steel with a solid wire instead of using Flux Core Wire.

Usually make a better weld.

Luck with the new machine,

Scrambler82

Do it right the first time !
post #7 of 9 Old 07-01-2004, 07:51 AM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I like flux core.. can use it outside under breezy conditions. Deeper penetration. If you set the heat/wire speed right it doesn't splatter too bad. Plus, it's one less thing to worry about (gas) while welding. This is what I did with flux core (I did use a scraper to remove splatter and slag).

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

Last edited by BESRK; 07-01-2004 at 07:55 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-15-2004, 09:45 PM
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm currently doing research on welders, and was looking at a 220v(like MM175). I was curious if this would be able to do frame and suspension work(spring hangers, shock mounts, skids). Seems many stick with Lincoln or Miller. Any suggestions for brand? Anyone in MD want to teach me how to weld?

-Craig-
95 Rio Grande
07 Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Chris_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP
I'm currently doing research on welders, and was looking at a 220v(like MM175). I was curious if this would be able to do frame and suspension work(spring hangers, shock mounts, skids). Seems many stick with Lincoln or Miller. Any suggestions for brand? Anyone in MD want to teach me how to weld?
I would go with a miller 210 or 250 more welder than you will ever need. check out www.cyberweld.com They have the best prices with no tax [except for jersey] and free shipping. I bought the 210 for around $1100 bucks the 250 was closer to $1400 when I last checked. You will still need to spend close to an additional $300 bucks or so by the time you buy a bottle, fill it and buy wire, gloves etc. And that's not including a nice helmet.

Go to your local metel supply and just buy from their scrap/cut off pile. Usually a buck or two a pound and just start practicing.

Here is the 210 under my plasma cutter. not the best picture. Welder ways about 200 lbs just to let you know up front.

Buggy on 40's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.