Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

need frame advice

721 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BESRK 
#1 ·
the rust i've been ignoring finally decided it wanted some attention. no pics yet (soon!) but i hit a bump going a bit fast and my entire rear crossmember and about 2-3 inches of the frame bent about 45 degrees under the weight of my tire carrier. the spring shackle hanger is about half exposed... i turned around, threw it in first gear and took 2 hours crawling back to pavement, checking periodically to make sure it wasn't getting any worse. i made it home, but after you see the pictures i fully expect to get called stupid for driving with it like that.

so, coupled with the very bad rust i have in the rest of the rear section of my frame and a little bit up front, i may be in the market for a new frame. at the very least i need to get the back section repaired/replaced before i'll be driving it again.

i am posting this here because i think i'll get better replies than in the YJ forum, but i have no welding/fab skills myself, and i think a frame is a pretty bad place to learn.

the new replacement frames (throttle down kustoms) i've found are around $2400, so that's sort of a worst-case option. however, i do plan on having this jeep for a long time so i wouldn't be opposed to a slightly-custom frame (built-in recovery hooks, maybe taller shock hoops or something?) if the price is right.

(i have been and will continue to watch craigslist for a good used frame but so far i haven't found anything)

i like the idea of the hot-dip galvanizing, but i've heard you can't weld on that. is that so big of a deal, especially for someone who doesn't weld anyway?

what are my options other than replacing the entire thing?

and i don't have the space (let alone the tools and knowledge) to swap in a new one once i get it... what kind of price tag does a job like that come with? or is there anyone in the area who would like to help?:D

might i be better of buying a stock jeep and just starting over? that doesn't sound like a lot of fun either. i just want my jeep back!

See less See more
#4 ·
#5 ·
For the money and time AND the peace of mind about being safe,you could have a new/used frame like rusty said,and alot less work actualy,you are going to have to pull the body off to repair it the right way anyhow,and most likely there is ALOT more bad spots on the frame everywhere,front and back..but just hasnt "gave out" yet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.