Need Advice for a weld test - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Need Advice for a weld test

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 01-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Strings72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Need Advice for a weld test

Taking a weld test tuesday and was wondering if anyone had any tips. Its two pieces of 3/8ths steel with a 1/8th gap between them. the edges of the plate have been beveled at a 45degree angle and there is a backing plate... So any tips? Ways to avoid porousity? anything of the nature??? anything is appreciated
Strings

P.S. its mig with .045 wire (solid no flux) and 70/30gas

2003 tj, 4.0, 5spd, NP241 (4:1), 8.8 rear, 4:10, trail ready bumper/rockers, engo 9k, 3in bds front/2.5rc rear, 1.25 jks BL, 33'' km2"s.

1996 DODGE 2500, ECLB, Cummins, 5spd, 4x4. 334hp-738ft/lbs, 25mpg (tow Rig/DD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftrail View Post
I may be dumb, but what does BBC mean? Is it anything like BBW?
Strings72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What position, flat?

IF you are a relatively competent mig welder, you shouldn't have any trouble with a flat groove weld. Make sure you clean it well, and get any scale off. Make sure to keep your stickout in check, its easy (relatively) to have too much stickout on the root pass.

Dont forget the easy stuff, is the gas on? Is the welder set right? am I wearing gloves? etc. lol.

Good luck and don't stress it too much. I have to run a vertical and overhead 1" plate groove with backing plate weld for testing here soon myself.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your root pass will be the most important,make SURE you tie into the backing strip 100% on both sides.
I ALWAYS run hotter than usual on the root on a coupon with a backing strip,making SURE i am tied in 100% and full penetration into both sides of the base metal.
I also run hotter than usual on the fill out,letting each pass cool a little between passes.
When you get the fill out done,let the coupon cool down for about 15 minutes or more,than set your heat a little lower to give a good no undercut cap.

Do NOT do any weaving,this gives a chance of pockets in the weldment,one steady consistant movement when making passes,this also leaves less stress in the weldment which ivery important if it is a cut n bend test.

Being a 3/8" plate test and running .045 it won't take much time to fill out,just take your time and RELAX,make sure you are as comfortable as possible when welding,being tense and tight just makes a mess of things

Is it going to be a cut n bend?..Xray?..or just a visual?

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Strings72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Visual initially and then xray. They said I didnt quite meet NY welding standards on the first try but I was close and they want me to do it again... Its in the flat position by the way
2003 tj, 4.0, 5spd, NP241 (4:1), 8.8 rear, 4:10, trail ready bumper/rockers, engo 9k, 3in bds front/2.5rc rear, 1.25 jks BL, 33'' km2"s.

Quote:
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Burn hot and one steady consistant movement..NO weaving or dipping and you'll do good.

I would rather take an Xray than a cut n bend..Xray's allow a tiny percentage of porosity in alot of coupon tests..cut n bend will show the actual strength in the weldment and if welded with too much stress it will crack on the bend.

Always let each pass cool a bit in between passes as to not cause too much warping,some tests will even fail you for too much warpage..on the cover pass make sure you are filling with no undercut,plus do not over fill..i would imagine they have a limitation on the width/size of the final weld too.
Make SURE each pass is cleaned well BEFORE starting a pass,,i mean SPOTLESS...anything in there can easily cause a pocket or perosity

You should be fine if you do all these ,plus the most important thing to do with a good coupon test is to RELAX..if you get tensed up or aggravated you will make some poor quality welds,get in the most comfortable position possible and do a "dry run" without hittin the trigger to make sure the position you are in you will be able to do the whole pass without any obstructions or any extra movement to finish it out.

If you seem to get tensed up..take a break..go get a drink and relax and calm down and come back with a good relaxing/confident attitude.

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Strings72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I get the dipping but define EXACTLY what you mean by no weaving please? and I called and found out that I had a problem with fusion the first time???

Quote:
Unread 01-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't weave back n forth for a fill..only HOT steady straight consistant movement...your lack of fusion(penetration into the base metals) was probably caused by not burning hot enough..thats why i ALWAYS run a weld test as hot as possible for the wire/rod..
Will you have a chance to do some more practicing before the test?..if so..turn the heat and wire speed up higher than you are used to and get the "feel" of it to make an acceptional pass.

Lack of fusion can also be caused by your stick out too far or too slow a wire speed..this just lays the weld on top,not burning INTO the base metal.

Krochus here in the forum is an EXCELLENT wirefeed man..maybe he will chime in on some advice i might be missing..or give him a quick PM..he uses this process day in day out welding up big bridge structural iron using wirefeeds and is a good guy

And one thing i forgot to mention while taking ANY weld test...on wirefeed ALWAYS clip off the wire end fresh before starting another pass..and if stick welding NEVER use the same rod again..always a fresh rod..if not there is a HIGH chance of perosity in the start of your weld because the already used end of the rod/wire is contaminated

Never forget 9/11

Unread 02-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
njbowhntr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How did you make out? I am sorry that I am late to the help. Ironworker had some good information for you. I also notice guys that fail tests for us due to lack of fusion tend to let the puddle fill out too much. When running with the mig at work I keep the filler wire feeding into the bottom of the pullde, we roll pipe away from us when welding. This keeps the heat in the base metal. Also remember that the puddle will not join the metals for proper fusion, you really have to aim the filler wire where you want the heat to be concentrated at. If you keep the filler wire too high in the puddle the heat is absorded more by the puddle and less by the metal that you are joining, hence lack of fusion. Your weld will sit on top of the metal, rather than melting into the metal to join at one.

Hope it went well. Being Relaxed is the name to the game.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.