Need advice on a homebrew bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Need advice on a homebrew bumper

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 12-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
mikejku

Need advice on a homebrew bumper

Looking to make my own JK bumper. I have been surfing threads across multiple sites and still not sure on the process as a whole.

Can anyone post pics of their home brewed bumpers with a short write up on how they did it?

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

mikejku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I built mine around a winch plate.

Before paint

After paint and covered in mud

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
AtTheHelm

Mock up, cut, weld, grind, mock up, cut, weld, grind.
Start with the way it mounts and go from there. I recommend using foam board from a craft store, way easier to use than cardboard.
You can try doing the entire mock up at once then cut all the steel pieces or just kind of do it in steps. Make sure your winch plate and mounts are going to be strong enough!

AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
mikejku

Awesome stuff. I did a test run with welding today on scrap 3/16 steel and it did just fine.

youngjeepr, I was thinking the same thing. I want to integrate a winch plate so my thinking was to just build around one. Which winch plate did you go with?

AtTheHelm. You seem to have some lessons learned. I was going to fine tune cardboard mock up (probably foam board now that you recommend it) then cut all the steel pieces out at once. Weld them all together and go from there but I might want to take it in phases. Did you build onto anything existing, like frame or the stock metal bumper?

What size steel did you guys go with?
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejku View Post
Looking to make my own JK bumper. I have been surfing threads across multiple sites and still not sure on the process as a whole.

Can anyone post pics of their home brewed bumpers with a short write up on how they did it?

Front or rear ?
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
mikejku

Going to make an attempt at both. Starting with front this week though. I received the winch plate and winch today. Anxious to get started, don't have the steal just yet or the confidence in procedure.
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Start with the winch plate, as wide as the frame and as long as needed to fit a winch. Then angle the front piece from it back to the bottom of the frame rails. Now the two pieces that weld to the sides of the winch plate. Mine were about 3" wide at the top and the same as the winch plate at the bottom. Now break out the cardboard and figure the way you want the rest of it to look.
jasonswelding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejku View Post

The reason I was asking which one you were building is I've been planning on doing some small "DIY" videos on building bumpers and was to start with a stubby front for the JK....complete with measurements and follow-along video. I'm moving my plasma and welding equipment into my new shop this weekend, so it wouldn't be until after the new year. Bumper will be this one minus the fog light holes:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.