My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #106
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Got around to some better pics....

Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #107
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post

I'm starting to get pretty good with this whole CNC cutting process. I have nailed down all my settings and I can cut most materials with zero/minimal deflection (bevel) and little to no dross. Only took about 5 months of practice though
Curious how you are running that thing to remove the deflection and the dross? I know my deflection rises as my nozzles wear out (I mostly cut 14-12 gauge plate) but how do you eliminate the dross? If I could reduce dross I'd be a happy happy man.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #108
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Several things effect dross and deflection....cut speed, cut height, consumable wear, air pressure, and air supply. When I had my TD151, it took a while of messing around with the settings to get it decent. Never good, just decent. My new plasma cutter has some really good cut charts that include pierce height, pierce delay, cut speed, cut height, and arc voltage for my torch height control unit. Also, the air pressure is automatically regulated by the machine, so no guessing on that part. I just follow book specs and the result is phenominal. Still a little dross, but minimal. Whatever dross I have comes off with minimal work with a grinder and wire wheel.

On the thinner stuff, such as 14g and 16g, it is really hard to get a good dross-free cut. Most machines cannot travel fast enough to achieve maximum results for that thin sheet.

As far as deflection, it seems like there is more deflection when the cut height is a little too high.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #109
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Ok. I was hoping there was some hidden secret that I hadn't seen. I don't cut much heavy gauge stuff. 1/4" is the heaviest plate i've cut, mainly due to not having need to cut much thicker. Most of my business is ranch signs and such, so 1/8" is the heaviest I typically cut. I use the 1/4" for steak branding irons and have cut a few bbq pit fireboxes out.

I run a practical CNC and didn't spring for the ATHC when i bought the machine. wish i had. My plasma is a hypertherm 600. Second one i've owned. I'll probably upgrade to a higher capacity/larger duty cycle on the next one, but has been hard to justify since 99% of my work uses 14 and 12 gauge material. My top speed is 130 IPM.

Wonder if an ATHC from other table manufacturers would work with my machine and software? PCNC has since disappeared, and I understand that their offshoot is not easy to work with, particularly if you have an older model table. I have a machine torch, but have always just used my rewired machine torch to run it, and have a spare hand torch when I need to cut "on location".

Wish mine would adjust the air pressure. I have found 76psi works best for most cuts. Heavier stuff I will crank it up some, just because it starts to leave some behind, especially if it makes a fast turn or something.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.