My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #61
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Well, I got my slats all installed and I put in some Sodium Nitrite for corrosion prevention and some Physan 20 to keep the green, slimy stuff away.

Small hurdle I cannot figure out at the moment. My torch shuts off early. A phone call to Torchmate tech support tomorrow will hopefully provide me with some answers, assuming I have the time to call.

BTW, here is my new compressor set-up. Husky 80 gallon dual stage with HR refrigerated air dryer.

Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #62
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quick status update.... I'm starting to get decent with the TM CAD software. I drew up all sorts of different parts today and was successfully able to apply a cut path to them. I then ran them on the plasma table (plasma turned off) to make sure everything was working smoothly and things are starting to look good.

I just need to get my torch firing issue worked out this Friday and I should be good to go. Can't wait!!!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

Unread 07-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #63
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Pics and video of first cuts!!!

Well, I'm glad to say I finally had my first successful cuts on the plasma table. I started off by doing a line speed test. Since this is all I had and I could not wait to get some cheaper, thinner sheet metal, I decided to do a litle experimenting on the 3/16" sheet. Cutting with a 60 amp tip at 100 psi, I decided to go with the 80 IPM cut as it looked the cleanest.

After getting my settings somewhat figured out, I drew up a 7" plain jane drawing for my wife. Don't quite know what the hell she is going to do with it, but with my CAD experience I could not think of anything more intricate at the moment. Here is the video and final product of the first cut. I have to say the cut quality is quite good for my first attempt.

AND THE VIDEO.....

Unread 07-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #64
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Really nice! Congrats on the first cuts!!

Might try adding a tenth or two into the driver program delay. It almost looks like your torch is just beginning to move just as it fires..

Wish my first cuts had come out so clean.. My torch dove into the material so hard it was dragging the sheet around the table.

Did you have the ATHC in the "auto" mode?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #65
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Really nice! Congrats on the first cuts!!

Might try adding a tenth or two into the driver program delay. It almost looks like your torch is just beginning to move just as it fires..

Wish my first cuts had come out so clean.. My torch dove into the material so hard it was dragging the sheet around the table.

Did you have the ATHC in the "auto" mode?
No, it was on manual. Pierce height was .20 and cut was .18. Yeah, I need to increase the delay. Is that in my avhc or m-code definitions?

Unread 07-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #66
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
No, it was on manual. Pierce height was .20 and cut was .18. Yeah, I need to increase the delay. Is that in my avhc or m-code definitions?

M Code... try bumping it up about .2 and see if that helps.

Ultimately, you'll want to dawn some #5 shades and get down close to the torch to watch it during piercing. Things happen quickly but if you watch it enough, you'll be able to pick up on delays and movements.. and adjust timing.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #67
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Jeremy it might be allot of extra work but can you grind the back off of the center support?

Your first cuts came out nice. Looks like the tip is hitting the material pretty hard in the video, can that be changed? So how much dust are you getting with the water table?

Man I can remember not that long ago when your wife was gonna send a hit man after me for aggin you on to buy tools. Now she's gettin her own name plate cut on a plasma table that you have!! What's next??? Don't answer that... I can tell you...it will never end! You are now an addict.

Looking forward to seeing more work, as I know you are too.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #68
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Jeremy it might be allot of extra work but can you grind the back off of the center support?

Your first cuts came out nice. Looks like the tip is hitting the material pretty hard in the video, can that be changed? So how much dust are you getting with the water table?

Man I can remember not that long ago when your wife was gonna send a hit man after me for aggin you on to buy tools. Now she's gettin her own name plate cut on a plasma table that you have!! What's next??? Don't answer that... I can tell you...it will never end! You are now an addict.

Looking forward to seeing more work, as I know you are too.
Jim! Got your email! I'm gonna reply to you after this!

After actually cutting with the machine, I don't think the center slat support is really a big deal. I thought it was going to be, but it's not. The slats hardly move. Maybe the difference is that I have a steel table. A lot of guys with the aluminum tables complain about the table vibrating/shifting during operation. I don't have this problem, so I'm just going to forget about the center slat.

The torch dives down in to the metal as it should. The torch height control unit senses a "torque" once it hits the metal and then it rebounds up to the pierce height. After the pierce, it moves to cut height. There is no way to really slow it down that I know of. I know you can decrease the torque setting, but a lot of times that will give you false positives if there is something causing resistance and the torch will rebound early (before hitting the material) and it will fire too far up from the material. Make sense?

I guess you can say my tool collection has come a long way in a short time. Always a good thing.

Unread 07-23-2011, 05:35 AM   #69
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Now you will have to send to BERSK to get it powder coated.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #70
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Jim! Got your email! I'm gonna reply to you after this!

After actually cutting with the machine, I don't think the center slat support is really a big deal. I thought it was going to be, but it's not. The slats hardly move. Maybe the difference is that I have a steel table. A lot of guys with the aluminum tables complain about the table vibrating/shifting during operation. I don't have this problem, so I'm just going to forget about the center slat.

The torch dives down in to the metal as it should. The torch height control unit senses a "torque" once it hits the metal and then it rebounds up to the pierce height. After the pierce, it moves to cut height. There is no way to really slow it down that I know of. I know you can decrease the torque setting, but a lot of times that will give you false positives if there is something causing resistance and the torch will rebound early (before hitting the material) and it will fire too far up from the material. Make sense?

I guess you can say my tool collection has come a long way in a short time. Always a good thing.
Makes sense on the torch and torque. Plasma cutting is newer to me than it is to you so I'm just watching and observing.

You mention the steel verses aluminum table support. That is why so many machines are made so heavy. You gain allot of rigidity with heavier material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Now you will have to send to BERSK to get it powder coated.
Maybe for a while but I bet he's watching Eddie build his and already had thoughts of building one himself. I see a powder coat operation coming to his place soon enough.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #71
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Makes sense on the torch and torque. Plasma cutting is newer to me than it is to you so I'm just watching and observing.

You mention the steel verses aluminum table support. That is why so many machines are made so heavy. You gain allot of rigidity with heavier material.

Maybe for a while but I bet he's watching Eddie build his and already had thoughts of building one himself. I see a powder coat operation coming to his place soon enough.
I have though about a powder coating system. You know me too well. But, at the moment I definitely can't do it. One, I just don't have the room. Two, I'm paying really good prices for my powder and there is nothing for me to worry about. Drop it off and pick it up. The only thing I don't like is the lead time. It usually takes 5-8 days to get my stuff back from the powder coater. I get good pricing, but I have to wait for them to run my stuff with other jobs. This is the only thing I don't like. I wish I had more control, which is why I have thought about getting one.

Maybe if/when I rent out a shop I will make an oven.

Unread 08-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #72
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Time for a bump....

few months back I bought the OR Fab CJ sport cage kit. It came with special brackets that bolt to your dash, and then the forward bars from the main hoop tie in to these on the top platform of the bracket. Pretty clever design. Unfortunately, the kit is somewhere around $350 and the tubes are not mandrel bent.

So, I decided to have at it with my Torchmate CNC plasma table. I took some measurements and made my own sport cage tie-ins. These brackets utilize all the factory holes. The passenger side is cut allow clearance for the glove box and the gusset is slotted so the passenger grab handle can still go on as it should.

I designed these to be basically "dummy proof". I programmed the "T" cut out on the back piece so there is no fooling around with alignment once they get welded up. Simply place the gusset and the top platform in the grooves and weld them up (of course you have to make sure they are perpendicular to the back piece). Basically, a no-brainer install.

I'm getting ready to mass produce these and I will throw them on my EBay site tonight. Let me know what you all think. Keep in mind this set-up is not considered a "roll cage". They may provide a little bit of protection, but they are not designed for a vehicle roll like a real roll bar is.

Here are pics of my pricey OR Fab roll cage brackets. Dimensionally, these are very similar, but not the same. I slotted the bolt holes to allow a tolerence when installing and my gussets are a little longer for a bit more support.

THESE ARE THE ORF BRACKETS SO YOU CAN GET AN IDEA OF HOW THESE INSTALL. I DID NOT FABRICATE THESE....

AND HERE ARE THE ONES I MADE TODAY.....

Unread 08-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #73
phritz
1983 CJ7 

Please post a link to your ebay site ASAP ! Can't seem to find it on my own. Hope you made plenty !
phritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #74
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phritz View Post
Please post a link to your ebay site ASAP ! Can't seem to find it on my own. Hope you made plenty !
Updated my signature

Unread 08-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #75
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

A little lengthy, but I thought I would share video of the plasma table cutting out the above dash tie-in brackets

http://youtu.be/4yYyZZ02WxQ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.