My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 07-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #46
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just a little silly question then have you checked after leveling the table and filling it with water?

Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #47
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Just a little silly question then have you checked after leveling the table and filling it with water?
The table is level right now and I checked. I logged on to my pbb account and Bill (owner of TM) said to shim up the rails a bit. Table is pretty square.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #48
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Jeremy how important is it to maintain a constant distance of the torch tip to the material? The reason I ask is in regard to the bow in the table you mention. I assume the torch will follow that bow and was wondering if the table will also be on the same plane as the torch travels through the cuts.

The binding you are getting sounds like something is moving that shouldn't, since it does fine at time then binds. I'm looking forward to seeing how affective the water table is for you in keeping the dust down. Keep up the good work!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #49
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Jeremy how important is it to maintain a constant distance of the torch tip to the material? The reason I ask is in regard to the bow in the table you mention. I assume the torch will follow that bow and was wondering if the table will also be on the same plane as the torch travels through the cuts.

The binding you are getting sounds like something is moving that shouldn't, since it does fine at time then binds. I'm looking forward to seeing how affective the water table is for you in keeping the dust down. Keep up the good work!
Hey Jim! Maintaining a constant distance from torch tip to material is very important. Since I have the auto voltage torch height control unit, the machine will automatically adjust for warpage and such as it is running. It will always maintain correct cut height.

I'm getting really inpatient with this table. Nothing major to fix, but a lot of fine tuning it seems like. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is ever easy. I'll get there though.

I anticipate the water table to be extremely effective though. There should be no dust and very minimal smoke. From what I have heard (I won't do it though) you can cut with the garage door closed.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

Unread 07-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #50
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

For those of you following along I was finally able to get the problem figured out. The big side of the gantry was not perfectly square. It looked really square by eye, but it was like 1/16" off from being square and believe it or not this made all the difference. 1/16" off at each end means it was out of wack by 1/8" Now the gantry runs flawlessly. I should have the table running this weekend, assuming I can get my new slats cut in time.

Unread 07-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #51
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Now that all the hard work is done, all I have to do is weld in the slat support brackets and paint the water tray. Maybe 2 hours of work. I could not use the slat supports I removed from my table because they were not shallow enough to accomodate the water table. With the slats installed on my original supports, the top of the slat was about even with the edge of the water table, so any splashing and such would make a mess. Now the top of the slat will sit almost 1/2" below the top of the table. Eddie was kind enough to draw me up a file with new 8 foot slat supports that were a little shorter in height and I had them cut up at the local steel yard with use of their Torchmate table. There are 3 different slat supports here. They are all 8 foot lengths, but one of them is much shorter in height. This shorter slat support will go in the middle of the table to prevent the slats from moving back and forth. It is obviously short to only prevent the plasma from hitting it since it will be well submerged under water.

Unread 07-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #52
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey those look good. It's not gonna be too much longer and you'll be cutting with that thing. The hardest part of all new equipment is getting the bugs worked out and set up right. You're getting that done and after that it'll go pretty smooth.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #53
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Yep.. almost there. Once you start cutting, keep detailed notes (spreadsheet) of your settings... pierce height, cut height, speed, voltage..etc. Just like tuning an engine.. only make 1 change at a time until you get a feel for things. The most important thing will be to keep the torch from dragging/diving into the material.

Hit me up anytime if I can help..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #54
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey those look good. It's not gonna be too much longer and you'll be cutting with that thing. The hardest part of all new equipment is getting the bugs worked out and set up right. You're getting that done and after that it'll go pretty smooth.
Fingers crossed. Thanks for the motivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Yep.. almost there. Once you start cutting, keep detailed notes (spreadsheet) of your settings... pierce height, cut height, speed, voltage..etc. Just like tuning an engine.. only make 1 change at a time until you get a feel for things. The most important thing will be to keep the torch from dragging/diving into the material.

Hit me up anytime if I can help..
I will be taking meticulous notes at first. That you can count on. I really appreciate all the help and the free "over the phone" tech support. I really can't thank you enough for all the help you have provided me with this PITA project.

But, you better seriously stop offering me your help on things because you know I take advantage of it

Unread 07-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #55
torchmate

It is always tough to get something used like this one and know what exactly you are dealing with. I am excited to see you start cutting. Don't be shy about calling the guys here in tech support if you need any help getting up and running.

Bill
torchmate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #56
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Made a little more progress today. I installed the slat supports nice and square. I'm a little bummed as I went to install the center (lower) slat support and since the bottom of the tray bowed a lot, the center slat support is not quite even. Some parts of the table the slat will "teter" on the middle support. So, I just figured I will go without it, even though I know it is somewhat of a mistake. Nothing I can really do at this point. Suggestions??
Anyway, I used the little 2x2 square pieces to make sure the slat supports were parallel with the table perimeter...

Then I stitch welded the inner side of the slat supports. I only did the inners in case I need to one day remove them.

I repeated on the other side and the end result are nice looking, parallel slat supports. The supports are 50 inches apart from each other, so I should not hit them with the plasma...

I then took some silicon to the little gaps between the welds so water will not splash through. I will paint over them tomorrow when I paint the table...

Lastly, I taped over the rails and the gear racks so I can spray a little cold galvonizing compound tomorrow...

I need to let the galvonizing compound cure for 24 hours before putting the slats and water in, so I should be good to go to start playing around with the cuts mid Sunday morning

Unread 07-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #57
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Bummer about the center of the table. If the warpage isn't too bad, just cut another center support a little shorter. Do the "_ll_" mounts at both ends and maybe in the middle. With some slotted mounting holes, you'd be able to mount the center slat parallel to the side slats. You can make your angle iron brackets now and weld them in while the table is still dry.. then cut your new slat support when you get time..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #58
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Bummer about the center of the table. If the warpage isn't too bad, just cut another center support a little shorter. Do the "_ll_" mounts at both ends and maybe in the middle. With some slotted mounting holes, you'd be able to mount the center slat parallel to the side slats. You can make your angle iron brackets now and weld them in while the table is still dry.. then cut your new slat support when you get time..
I can't do that either cause the angle sits too high. If I want to do it I have to cut individual pieces and tack each one in. I'll just do it on my first drain. A little bummed, but not the end of the world I guess

Unread 07-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #59
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Table sprayed with galvonizing compound. Will install slats, fill with h20, and re-level tomorrow morning. Time to start cutting!

Unread 07-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #60
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice!! I'm excited to see this thing cut.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.