My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #31
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50wllystrk View Post
Wasn't it exciting the very first time it moved on it's own.
Yeah, it was definitely AWESOME to see the machine function on it's own. I hope to upload a few videos later this afternoon. I gotta worn you the video of the first cuts are not all that exciting because the machine was not set up right. The pierce delay was way too long, so the machine moved like it was cutting and then it decided to fire off the plasma. Stay tuned.

Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #32
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Couple short videos here.... First one is a "dry run" to get the table worked in a bit. This is the first time in almost 6 years this thing has really moved. Second photo is of it's first cuts. Obviously you can see there is a problem as the machine pierces after it has started its cut path. Hopefully we can get some of the kinks worked out this morning.

Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

Unread 06-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #33
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Jeremy.. yep.. shorten the "pierce delay" on the ATHC to about .8-1 second or so. I'd also increase the "M Code Delay" setting. Goal is to have the torch drop, touch, lift (to pierce height), fire, pierce, drop to "initial cut height", and then begin to travel along the cut path..
Also, set the ATHC to manual (if it isn't already) and "Initial Cut Height" to about .08 and try those again.

It looked like the torch was dragging. I thought I read somewhere that the TD has a feature which shuts the torch off if it "shorts" too long.. as in dragging the tip. A feature to prevent damaging the cutter or something like that. Could be wrong about that though.

What travel speed were you cutting at? At 40 amps, I think I'm cutting somewhere around 60-65ipm straightline (at home at the moment), with "Max Arc Feedrate" set to 70% of that..

You've got it cutting so that's a major hurdle... now to start "fine tuning".. I'll be at the shop all day tomorrow if you need to call me for anymore of my settings.. don't hesitate..

Edit: Just watched that clip a few more times.. bump your "M Code Delay" up to somewhere between 2.5-3 seconds and see how that works.

Also, I noticed the torch lifting early on both the inner and outer cuts. Measure the linear length of both paths and see if the torch "shuts off" at the same travel distance. If it does, it could very well be the torch going out after a set amount of time if it's shorting which would explain the conistency in the shut off point.. just something to check.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #34
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Looks like you're getting there Jeremy.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #35
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Just looked again..

Disregard the thing about the torch shutting off early.. it's not. It's cutting to the end of the cut path. It's just that it's firing late so you're missing the first inch or so of cut. Extend that M Code delay and I think you'll be okay for at least cutting the entire part..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #36
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Looks like you're getting there Jeremy.
Slowly but surely. My folks are in town for a week, so no working on the table for me. Oh well. Guess I have nothing but time.

Thanks for all the help Eddie!!!

Unread 06-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #37
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Slowly but surely. My folks are in town for a week, so no working on the table for me. Oh well. Guess I have nothing but time.

Thanks for all the help Eddie!!!
Sometimes a little time away from a project isn't so bad Jeremy. I can't count the times when I've worked hard to get something done, had to stop and later found that if I'd have kept going I may have screwed up. Everything has a reason my friend and you'll be making parts sooner than you think. I wish you or Eddie were my neighbor too by the way. I'd get allot of use out of your all's plasma tables!!

My build thread
Unread 07-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #38
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Well, I bought my materials for my water table. My water table will be approximately 4" deep. The perimeter of the table is 4" angle iron that is .250 thick. For the bottom of the table I will be using 10 gauge steel. I will document the water table build on this thread as well.

Unread 07-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #39
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Started on the water table...

Finally had a little bit of time over the long holiday weekend to get started on my water table build.

For the most part, the table appears to be well built by the original owner and pretty square. So, I decided to integrate my water table with the plasma table. Here is how the table first looked when I brought it home back in March...

For the build, I decided to use 4" angle iron (.250) for the sides with a sheet of 11 gauge for the pan. I also used a piece of 2x2x.120 square tubing as the middle rest for the pan. I also used some 2"x3/16" flat stock in the vertical position to provide a little support to some areas of the pan to prevent it from sagging down due to the weight of the H2O.

So, my buddy Dave and I had a full days worth of work today. We removed all the slats and then we spend quite a bit of time cutting/grinding fown the welded angle iron pieces that originally held the slat rail to the table. Here's good ole' Dave at work...

Once everything was apart, the first thing we did was install the cross main support between the 2 middle legs of the table. Then we cut the angle iron with use of my el-cheapo HF band saw that happens to work awesome. Right out of the box it is cutting dead nuts square.....

Then we welded in the 2"x3/16" slats to provide a little support to the pan....

Lastly, placed the 11 gauge sheet on top and called it a day....

Hopefully more to come next weekend. The table seems pretty stout
"as-is". With the angle irone welded to the sides of the table and the one 2"x2" cross brace supporting the table in the center, I'm very confident it will hold a LOT of weight with no problems.

Hopefully more to come next weekend. I plan on welding in a drain plug and completely welding up the bottom of the pan and the angle iron before I do the leak check.

Unread 07-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #40
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice job so far. Hey who ran those nice vertical welds? Good job!

My build thread
Unread 07-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #41
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Nice job so far. Hey who ran those nice vertical welds? Good job!
Down hill welds....the easiest welds of them all

Unread 07-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #42
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

A little bit of progress. Finished welding up the table. Water tight on the first attempt, so I'm happy with that at least. Last phase of the project till she's all ready to go. Today I'm going to install leveling bolts on the bottom of the legs, install the slat support brackets, weld on the cable carrier arms for the X-axis, then clean it out real good so I can spray on some cold galvonizing compound.

Drain plug installed

Holds H20!!!

My favorite helper!

Unread 07-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #43
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Well, not as much progress as I was hoping for today. I wanted my slats to sit a little lower in the table, so I tried cutting the bottoms of the slat support rails and lets just say I did not have much success. I'm going ot have to cut new slats real soon.

I got all the cable carriers installed and ran everything. I did some dry test runs today I had a lot of binding at various portions of the table. When the table was travelling in one direction and started to bind, I picked up the small side of the gantry and it wanted to move about a tooth in the direction of the travel. Same thing when I started travelling in the other direction. The only problem I have is on the X-axis. Any thoughts? Does it sound like a roller problem?

There appears to be an extremely minimal "bow" in my table. It is barely noticable with the human eye. It bows up/down and not sideways. I imagine this is a somewhat common occurance with steel built tables. I can't imagine the whole table (~10 ft.) having more then a 3/16" bow. It is really minimal and it could just be my eyes playing tricks on me.
As far as leveling out the table.... I welded on 1/2" nuts used some 1.5" hole saw cut-outs (look familiar Eddie) to make my adjustable legs. Worked pretty good. Table is sitting pretty level. Since this is in my garage, there was quite a bit of spacing towards the street side of my garage, which is why the gap is so large with the adjustable legs.

Other then working out the kinks, all I have left to do is weld in the slat supports and paint the table.

Cable carriers

Adjustable legs

Unread 07-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #44
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

To check for a bow in the table sounds like time to use some strings that are pulled very tight. And you might want to check diagonally to from corner to corner at the same time the string should just touch in the middle. This will tell you what is true and straight. You could have just a small twist in the table that could be all you are seeing with the binding up. Let us know what you found.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #45
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
To check for a bow in the table sounds like time to use some strings that are pulled very tight. And you might want to check diagonally to from corner to corner at the same time the string should just touch in the middle. This will tell you what is true and straight. You could have just a small twist in the table that could be all you are seeing with the binding up. Let us know what you found.
Already did it before. I measured from corner to corner and the measurements is within 1/16" of an inch, well within tolerence. When I say it might be bowed, I'm talking up/down. The rail may sit ever so slightly higher on some parts of the table then others. Hope this makes sense.

The whole thing seems a little weird to me. Some runs along the x-axis will be flawless and some runs will have a little bind. Not really sure what the problem is just yet. I think I'm going to disassemble the aluminum gantry and put it back together, making sure everything is tight and square. Hopefully this solves some of my problem. More to come.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.