My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #16
GeoBigJon
Cactus Hobbit

2014 JK Wrangler 

Very awesome find, congrats.

If you eat, drink, or wear cloths then you're involved in agriculture.
GeoBigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely excited to get this going. Loading the steel will definitely be my next challenge. Eddie recommended an engine hoist with some hooks, but I honestly don't think I even have the room for a hoist. If I decide to cut 1/2" steel ever, I will need to have 4 at least 4 guys to help me load. Yeah...loading will not be fun!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #18
50wllystrk

jatepper, I've had the pleasure of having a torchmate in my shop for 2 years now. I understand the concern of the weight of the material. Fortunatly I have the 4x4 table, but for a skinny guy like me it's still a struggle when using 1/4 inch or thicker steel.

Although your table is 8x4, you can still use smaller sized material on the table, such as 4x4 or 2x4 ect.

As soon as I get to 25 posts I'll load a few pics.

Good luck, Jim
50wllystrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #19
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50wllystrk View Post
jatepper, I've had the pleasure of having a torchmate in my shop for 2 years now. I understand the concern of the weight of the material. Fortunatly I have the 4x4 table, but for a skinny guy like me it's still a struggle when using 1/4 inch or thicker steel.

Although your table is 8x4, you can still use smaller sized material on the table, such as 4x4 or 2x4 ect.

As soon as I get to 25 posts I'll load a few pics.

Good luck, Jim
If you upload pics to photobucket and then copy/past the IMG. file I don't think you need to wait for the 25 posts.

The only thing I'm a little bummed about is the table is running TM V5 software. They are out with version 8 already. I guess it is not the biggest deal, but TM offers free webinars and stuff on Pirate4x4 and they run V8, so I really can't just follow along.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

Unread 05-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
50wllystrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
If you upload pics to photobucket and then copy/past the IMG. file I don't think you need to wait for the 25 posts.

The only thing I'm a little bummed about is the table is running TM V5 software. They are out with version 8 already. I guess it is not the biggest deal, but TM offers free webinars and stuff on Pirate4x4 and they run V8, so I really can't just follow along.

Aaah, you got me there, TM VS, version 8, my non-technical knowledge is being exposed.

I use the heck out of the CAD system that came with mine, took awhile, but I'm really pleased with all I can do.

I love the wizard trace option. I make all sorts of brackets and gussets in my shop. I usually get a piece of construction paper, make a template out of the paper, scan it, edit the image,create a tool path, shortly after that I've got what was a piece of paper is now a usable bracket.

If you're concerned about upgrades, or set up don't hesitate to call Torchmate. This was all new to me when I got mine. I usually get a guy named Sky, he's been very patient when I've called.

I'll get some pics sooner or later.

Just finished lunch.... going out to cut some inner frame braces to match the originals on my Willys truck ,this Torchmate is great.
Unread 05-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #21
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Jeremy, how's the table coming along? Have you had a chance to fire it up yet? Just curious.

BTW.. was able to get all that stuff in a Medium Box today..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #22
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Jeremy, how's the table coming along? Have you had a chance to fire it up yet? Just curious.

BTW.. was able to get all that stuff in a Medium Box today..
Just paid ya. Thanks.

Table project has been idle for a while. I wanted to get some work done on it this weekend, but I had to get my Jeep ready for this Fridays night run. Put the cage back in, installed CB, fabbed antenna bracket, reinstalled radio, installed my KC lights, put seats back in, repaired battery tray...so no work on the table.

Wife is leaving town for a week on the 7th and she is taking the kids. I plan to have long days working on this thing.

Unread 06-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
reddragon
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice find,
I'll be calling Torchmate soon to order the same table. I can't wait.
reddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #24
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Well, the wife and kids left town for a week so I have a lot of time to devote to the table. Yesterday I got the new cold rolled rails installed and the gantry is already sliding much better. Now I just need to adjust the rollers because right now the weight of the gantry has been supported by the gears and not the rollers. I hope to have a couple of test cuts done by the end of the weekend. If I remember, I will shoot a short video of my first cuts on the machine.

Unread 06-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #25
kfdjason7620
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I work at a industrial metal shop in NC and have got a 10 ft. X 20 ft. CNC HD plasma at my disposal along with 2-150 ton press brake, plate shear and rollers, I love it, been doing it for 12 years now, got any questions about anything I can help with, let me know!
kfdjason7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #26
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

With the wife and kids gone, I'd call in sick to work so I could stay home and devote true quality time to getting this table running..

Have you had a chance to sit down and play with the TM CAD program yet?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #27
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

I played with the TM cad for a short while. Still really confused.

I wish I could bang in sick. But, we have some important stuff going on this week at work.

I have a guy who runs the TM table at a local steel shop who is willing to come over and give me the run down when the table is ready. Pretty good price too I think. They run TM7, so I hope the knowledge jump down to TM5 cad software is easy.

Unread 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #28
torchmate

Quote:
Now I just need to adjust the rollers because right now the weight of the gantry has been supported by the gears and not the rollers.
You might want to check the shafts on those gears just to make sure that they didn't bend supporting the weight of the gantry on them. It is difficult to make the thing run really smooth like that. It tends to bind. You are going to be happier when you get the weight on the rollers.

Quote:
I played with the TM cad for a short while. Still really confused.

I wish I could bang in sick. But, we have some important stuff going on this week at work.

I have a guy who runs the TM table at a local steel shop who is willing to come over and give me the run down when the table is ready. Pretty good price too I think. They run TM7, so I hope the knowledge jump down to TM5 cad software is easy.
There are a couple of online webinars that we recorded on using the Torchmate CAD. You can find them here. You may have already seen them, but I thought I would post the link regardless. I am sure it will be helpful having someone that runs one of our machines come show you the basics. Even if he runs v7, v5 is not that much different once you get used to the different look of it. Save up those favors with him until you really need them though and use our free phone support whenever you can. We will do whatever we can to teach you how the machine and software work.
torchmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #29
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

WoooooHoooooo.... PROGRESS

Well, I kinda got the table going today. Though it did make some cuts, there are some problems with the cut delay, pierce height, and other things I need to figure out pretty desperately. I have a lot of work to really get this thing fine tuned and going. Hopefully I can figure things out a little better over the weekend...time permitting.

Unread 06-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #30
50wllystrk

Wasn't it exciting the very first time it moved on it's own.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.