My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 05-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

My Torchmate CNC Plasma Table

I have been looking for a Torchmate CNC plasma table for a few months. Every morning when I get to work, the first thing I do is go to Craigslist and search all of AZ for a Torchmate table. Been looking for a few months and this one was posted about 15 minutes before I found it.

I knew nothing about these tables, aside from the fact that I knew I wanted one. So, with my little knowledge, I consulted with Eddie (BESRK) about purchasing this thing because he has basically the exact same table. Eddie called the guy up for me, got the scoop, and gave me sound advice to go ahead and purchase this thing.

The table was owned by a boat shop in Lake havasu, AZ, which is about 330 miles away from where I live. But, the price was right. The guy bought the table in December 2006 and literally never got around to using this thing. Well, I called up my boss and told him I had to leave work for "personal reasons". I went to the bank, pulled out the $400 dollars to purchase the table (came with a Thermal Dynamic Cutmaster 151 plasma cutter with both the machine torch and hand torch, the table, and the complete computer system) and then I went to U-Haul. 15 hours later I came home with this. This picture was taken at the boat shop in which I bought it from...

I had to spend some more coin to buy the cable carriers, and auto-voltage torch height control unit, and a refrigerated air dryer. I started assemblying the table this weekend in my tight garage. I have a 3-car garrage, but the Jeep takes up one bay, the mustang takes up another bay, and now this huge piece of steel takes up the 3rd bay. I'm quickly running out of room. The goal is to one day get so proficient with using this thing that I have to rent out a small work bay somewhere. It's definitely possible. These things are amazing!

Well, with the help of some beer and pizza, I recruited my buddies to help me get this thing going. The old fart with the gray hair and the Jeep shirt is my buddy Craig. The other old bastard with the bald head is my other buddy David. They are both Jeeping guys. David has a real Jeep (CJ5) and Craig has one of those Barbie TJ's...but it's a Rubicon.

I'm still far away getting this thing really going, but without the help from these two guys I would not have been able to make the progress I made this weekend. We get everything more or less hooked up. We installed the cable trays, ran all the wiring, and was able to even get a "dry run" in. The machine needs to get the bugs worked out. But more then anything, the machine's owner needs to figure out how to really work it.

I'm going to use this thread to document projects, get suggestions, get ridiculed....whatever. I have thick skin.

Anyway, here are some pics of how she sits today...

Old bastard Craig...

Old bastard David

Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
EricRollerSkate
2000 TJ Wrangler 

$400.00???!!!!

Why wear a flip flop on your left foot, and a steel toe on the right?
EricRollerSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRollerSkate View Post
$400.00???!!!!
x2, That is a lot of stuff for very little money (plus the u-haul and drive).
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

OK...It was much more then $400. I just keep telling myself that so I feel good about myself. Just wanted to see who was paying attention. You both passed. lol
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

Unread 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Gonna take a wild guess and say that was a typo. $4000 is still a deal.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Gonna take a wild guess and say that was a typo. $4000 is still a deal.
I'll spill the beans..... The guy paid $11,700 for it in December 2006. It came with a machine torch, but since he never used the machine, he bought a hand torch for the unit for $500 from Torchmate. So, he had roughly $12,200 invested (I have all the original receipts). I paid 6k cash for it. A little steep, but I guess it's 50% off. Now let's add in everything I added.... The auto-voltage torch height control was about $2300, the cable carrier system was about $260 and the refrigerated air dryer was about $330. Add in the 80-gallon dual stage compressor I need to still buy is about $1100 and the materials for the water table is about $250. Once I have everything in order, I'm in business. Oh yeah...the U-Haul and the gas was about $300. WAIT, I still need to powder coat it, so add in another $300.

So, with my graduate-level mathematic calculations, I have about $10,840.

The plasma table with all the options would have cost me over $16,000. This obviously does not include the refrigerated air dryer, compressor, and the powder coat. So, yeah...it's a lot of money. BUT, I saved a lot from buying it used compared to new.

This is the first time I really calculated how much I have in to this thing. OUCH! I have to think of it as an investment though. I bet once I get proficient at running the software I can make my money back in 6-9 months.

Unread 05-16-2011, 04:11 AM   #7
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with it I have been looking at getting one for myself but looking to be on the cheap side of life. You got a great deal even with the extras. There are a lot of choices for software to run the table. I would use the trial version first before buying one. Unless you got the software with the table.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
NJMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
OK...It was much more then $400.
I feel better now and don't hate you.....As much.
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Think I'll start a pool to see just how soon you're moving that to a bigger shop.

$400.00 .....whar are you trying to start a riot?

Looks to me like you're moving right along Jeremy. You still going to build a water table for it? A place I used to work had dust/fume suckers on wheels that did a great job of keeping the air pretty clean while welding or cutting were going on. I'd at least put a big fan behind that and blow the fumes outside to keep from stinking your house up.

Man I can remember this time last year and you were just building a welding table. You're really moving along in the fab world and doing some first rate work. I'm sure if anyone can make money with one of these you will.

Best of success to you my friend.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Thanks guys. Yeah Jim...It seems I build my welding table just the other day dosent it??!! I love welding and making things, such as the bumpers, but man it is a lot of work. The money is certainly good too, but aside from the physical aspect of the work, it is definitely time consuming. I spent a lot of my weekend along with a night or two during the week in the garage. Fun for me, but not fair for my kids and wife. I hope to more or less just run the table for an entire Saturday every week. I want to get in to a bunch of DIY stuff. I also have several ideas for websites that I want to start, but I'm going to keep the details hush hush for a short while. It is kinda funny that I keep buying these time-consuming tools and my goal is to spend less time in the garage. What's wrong with me?

I am really anxious to get this thing going. It has been sitting long enough. I need to take my bumpers off Craigslist so I can really focus on this table for a short while. I'm selling on average 2 bumpers a week, so figure I spend 8 hours a week alone building bumpers. Adds up to a lot of time that I'm taking away from focusing on the table.

Unread 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
torchmate

Nice job! From the sound of it you got a good deal. Let us know if you have any questions. My guys should treat you no different than if you were the original owner. Welcome to our family!

Bill
torchmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #12
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchmate View Post
Nice job! From the sound of it you got a good deal. Let us know if you have any questions. My guys should treat you no different than if you were the original owner. Welcome to our family!

Bill
Thanks Bill. This is the main reason I bought a Torchmate. I looked at some other CNC plasma machines and to be honest, the quality and level of customer service just don't compete. Torchmate's customer service is unparralled. Where else can you get lifetime technical support if you are not the original owner??? I wanted to buy new, but financially could not swing it.

If anyone is considering purchasing a CNC plasma table, you honestly don't need to look any further then www.torchmate.com . They even have a their own forum on Pirate4x4 (which I also belong to). I guarantee after people see some of the projects I plan on pumping out with this machine they will want one. Even with a smaller sized machine (2x2 or 2x4) the capabilities are amazing.

No, I'm not a paid spokesman.

Unread 05-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This thread is worthless without pictures and videos of the table in action!
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari View Post
This thread is worthless without pictures and videos of the table in action!
My life is worthless with the table in action. Hang tight. It's coming.....

Unread 05-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am jealous you can fit a full sheet on the table but not jealous you have to load a full sheet on the table. 4x4 makes easier loading for me when working solo but feel like I waste some
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.