My super cheapskate twin stick shifters for a D300... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My super cheapskate twin stick shifters for a D300...

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My super cheapskate twin stick shifters for a D300...

Figured I'd share this with the fabrication forum since I'm really proud of these.

I built them out of necessity since it's starting to snow here in Dayton, OH... I have had no shifters for the longest time since it was easy enough to just get under the Jeep and shift into low range when I go wheeling... I want to be able to lock my hubs in and have 4WD available while driving if needed.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a 106x6.5" sheet of 1/4" steel for $20... that is the only money I have into this. Other materials used were old nuts and bolts and a short piece of 3/8" all-thread.

Luckily my friend Andrew has some sweet tools at my disposal, so I used his Bridgeport and O/A torch to make some stuff much easier

I'll start off my saying that I have all poly engine and trans mounts... not a whole ton of movement goes on so I think I can get away with this... if I had rubber mounts then there would be a TON of drivetrain movement and I'd probably bend a shifter or shift rail.

Here is a pic of most of the parts:

Here is a handy diagram I made showing how it is orientated... the two 1/4" plates sandwich the tub to help keep it from deforming, the bent piece captures the shifters to put the pivot into double shear. The side bolts are tacked to the outside(under the tub) plate for assembly reasons, as is the nut that the pivot(allthread) threads into.

Here is is all installed/together in the Jeep:

Only thing in those pics missing are the "adapters" that the shifters insert into, and attach them to the shift rails... basically it has a hole to bolt to the shift rail, and the slotted hole was cut out on Andrew's Bridgeport, it's 1/4" wide and IIRC about 3/4" long. The shifter ends are rounded and extend through them quite a bit to allow for a little drivetrain movement. Being passenger drop, the shift rails will move downwards if anything... I think.

Here you can really see the bends that took a few tries to get correct... used an oxy-acetylene torch to help with that for the left(rear output) stick. The right one was easy enough to bend by hand in a vice since it didn't have to be a tight bend.

They work pretty well, I found out that the rear output stick needs a bit more shaved off the end, it binds just slightly and doesn't stay securely in low range... the front output stick is awesome though They do make some noise while driving, little squeeking which I expected, though I have enough other noises that I don't care This was damn near free and I don't have to swap front outputs on my D300 since I was an idiot and cut the ears off the output housing early in my build

Later this week I'll be disassembling for final tweaks/smoothing/painting

edit: And I did this all with it being 18 degrees outside with a windchill of like 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice work Tony!! Now drill a couple dozen lightening holes in them

Dude, you should've sent me a drawing and had me cut those on the table and do a nice "lattice" design in them..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Nice work Tony!! Now drill a couple dozen lightening holes in them

Dude, you should've sent me a drawing and had me cut those on the table and do a nice "lattice" design in them..
I've thought about it

I'm thinking about smoothing them out, possibly welding some more 1/4" to each side of each shifter(so they are 3/4" wide where you would grip them), and then dip them in plasti-dip

They're pretty nice, gives you a very nice positive feel of whether you're in gear or not.

edit: I COULD still mill some kind of sweet design in them on the Bridgeport

Quote:
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 12-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Painted up, smoothed out, bent into place, and fixed the binding issue on the rear output stick... works flawless now

I will note that this gives some vibrations into the tub, but I really don't give a damn... At a later time some kind of rubber "isolaters" at the shift rail end would make for a nice revision.

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.