My IR 1/2" impact wrench air tool bit the dust... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My IR 1/2" impact wrench air tool bit the dust...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My IR 1/2" impact wrench air tool bit the dust...

Funny, I bought an Ingersol Rand 1/2" double-anvil impact wrench a couple years ago to replace the old Harbor Freight cheapy I had used before but it just bit the dust after what I'd call occasional use. Yep it was lubricated before each use. I thought it was supposed to be a decent brand but it sure didn't last long.

It now won't shut off, it spins without touching the trigger. I could stop it with my hands enough to use it this past weekend (power comes on as normal when I pull the trigger) but I need to replace it.

I'm strictly a part-time wrencher and won't spend the $$$ for a pricy impact wrench... I'm about to run back up to HFT and just get one of their pricier double-anvil models. Or any other suggestions? I'd rather not spend over $100 and I'm sure not spending the big $$$ for Snap-on.

I'd go back to my old HFT but it was in my previous TJ that was stolen. Of all my air tools, all of the rest being HFT, the IR is the only one that has failed on me since getting air tools maybe 12-14 years ago. Heck I think I'll just cheap out and get one of HFT's "heavy duty" double-anvil Earthquake models and call it a day.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure that IR offers rebuild kits for the guns, not sure on the cost but it may be worth checking out.
Unread 09-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

I like the HFT air tools they seem to be of decent quality better than most of their tools. Like said I would look for a repair kit. Its either a o-ring or piece of dirt in the tool not allowing the valve to shut. Never hurts to open it and see what might be wrong.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
petey156
1977 CJ5 

Sounds like it just needs cleaned, Don't junk it.
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
jason m
your ad here...

Tear it down Jerry and rebuild it. I've done this twice on my IR thunder gun. As much as it is loud for no other reason than to sound like I'm working in the pits of NASCAR its a strong gun and worth a rebuild from time to time.
I'm thinking your should be about the same.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's odd Jerry, my IR 1/2" impact is 1984 vintage and I use it almost weekly.
They must have really gone down in quality.

Look for a trigger kit or it could be a piece of debris holding the air valve open.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my 1/2" IR gun off eBay used for $14. Free shipping too. Works great.
Unread 10-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey thanks very much guys, I never thought about fixing it with a rebuild kit, that's exactly what I'll do! And I retrieved it out of my garage trash container just in time to avoid being picked up by the trash truck tomorrow. Phew! Thanks a bunch.

Edit: IR doesn't show a rebuild kit for my 231G at http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...modelspec/9648 so I emailed them for advice. I'll post up anything interesting as it happens. Thanks again.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 10-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #9
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

Geez..I read your post and I was like, man send it over here! lol I have a couple old IR tools that were mostly bought used and still work like a champ. The only ones I have trouble with for some reason are the air ratchets. I can never keep them operating for any length of time.
Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a little ticked off at Ingersol Rand right now. They sent me an automated response to my email Wednesday morning saying to expect a response 'usually the same or next business day' but nothing so far.

Maybe I'll just open it up & see if I can figure out how to clean the air valve behind the trigger. Looks like I just have to remove the 4 allen-head bolts to pull it apart, are there any springs or assemblies under tension that will fly apart when I disassemble it?

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 10-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you have to pull the fwd/rev button, there's a little spring & ball that go into the great abyss.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to pull the air intake port out of the handle, there's a little valve at the top that can (from what I read) cause my exact problem. I dunno if it's cleanable or has to be replaced but I'll figure it out once my garage cools down to below 100.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 10-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #13
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jerry,

I may have an extra IR 231G in the shop, I'll have to check when I get home. I know I retired it when I picked up my Snap On & IR Titanium impacts....and its still in excellent condition.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the offer Jason but I just found the problem... the rubber "throttle valve seat" behind the trigger and above the air intake fitting was bad, the rubber seat had disintegrated. I was able to pull it out using a hook fed up into the air channel above the air intake chuck. I found a replacement for $1.99 at http://jbtoolsales.com/ which I just ordered.

It was item #6 on the Parts List at http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...mpactools/231g.

I sure appreciated the advice from everyone, it saved me from having to buy a new impact wrench... thank you all very much!

And I never did receive a reply back from my email to Ingersol Rand.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 10-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's ALIVE again, thank you all for suggesting it was rebuildable. It turned out to be a pretty simple repair, it was just a bad rubber seal inside the handle just behind the trigger and above the air intake. I am stoked.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.