My Ghettolicious Forklift Crane - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My Ghettolicious Forklift Crane

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

My Ghettolicious Forklift Crane

Finally got around to extending my plasma table from 4'x4' to 4'x8'. Now I can cut a full 8ft sheet without having to index (scoot it up the table) it.

Now, I can begin collecting the parts to make a 48" or 60" press brake. I wanted the ability to cut a full 8ft sheet of 1/2" plate on the plasma table.

I also took a cheap "pickup bed crane" and made a pallet base for it so I can use it with my forklift. I'll make a simple 4 legged chain sling setup so I can lift full sheets over the side of the plasma table to load/unload the table for cutting.

Sorry for the dark cellphone pics. Don't know where my digital camera is..

The base is made from two 2ft squares of 1/2" plate that I had laying around..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

That is pretty ghetto....but does the deed. Nice work.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

is that a yale or cat forklift.It looks just like my yale.that crane will get the job done!!!
Machinist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
rukkus0o

nice Eddie!
rukkus0o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
is that a yale or cat forklift.It looks just like my yale.that crane will get the job done!!!
It's a TCM.... 3K. I got it for a good price a couple years ago when a local beer distributor closed down (he was bought out by a big brewery). Prior to the forklift, we were using an engine hoist to download the steel delivery truck and move stuff around. I think the little forklift is the single best "bang for the buck" investment I've made.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am surprised how many times mine gets used for jeep projects.I am going to build a welding table that clamps to the forks for mine.I don't have a dedicated work area for the jeep in the shop so I am constantly bringing out what I need when I need it.
Machinist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I see more projects upcoming. A bigger press brake. I'll be watching for this. Hey Eddie do you have a magnet for picking up sheets with? One of those that has the eye bolt in the top.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Finally got around to extending my plasma table from 4'x4' to 4'x8'. Now I can cut a full 8ft sheet without having to index (scoot it up the table) it.
Braggar! Looks good man...

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
jeepbumm68
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That is pretty ghetto dude, but awesome at the same time. nice work.

btw, did you weld it only on top or did you notch and weld through the whole base?
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbumm68 View Post
That is pretty ghetto dude, but awesome at the same time. nice work.

btw, did you weld it only on top or did you notch and weld through the whole base?

It's only welded on top The base of the little crane was a big square. I layed multi-passes. I'm gonna hook it to the front of my CJ and lift it up to load test it. Heaviest I'll pick up with sheet is in the 600lb range. Also, I think I'm going to do a gusset from "mid-mast" down to the rear of the plate. I'm probably also going to replace the little 2"x2"x1/8" square tube boom with something a little bigger.. like 2x3 or even 2x4.. and do an overhead gusset loaded in tension. Been operating cranes for the Army for the past 25yrs so that should somehow qualify me to build one shouldn't it?..

Tonight, I used the little crane to pick up a 1/2 sheet of 3/8. I was able to pull alongside the plasma table and swing the sheet 90degrees to the side to set it on the table.. worked perfectly. My son was really excited... he kept mumbling something like, "man, that's so cool.. my back feels better already!"

Jim, I was looking at magnets but was worried about it pulling up the slats when I tried to lift a sheet off the table. Also, not sure how well they work with full sheets of thinner material that tend to bow in the middle.. I've heard if the material doesn't stay flat, the magnet can break loose and drop the sheet. The little chain slings worked fine on the 1/2 sheet. With a simple spreader bar, they should work fine on a full sheet.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

o0o 80/20...that stuff is pricey, but fun to play with
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
jeepbumm68
2005 TJ Wrangler 

HA HA I was just wondering. Didn't know if it was going to hold up to what you do. Of course I didn't read all the way through either, my bad lol

looks good, and ya Me and Army 4yrs so far and I deal with commo **** so this is your area lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.