My Front Winch Bumper Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My Front Winch Bumper Build Thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #46
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

I picked up some 3/4" washers in thinking I will weld them around the holes.

I thought about the example of notebook paper, and then notebook paper with those metal protectors on them, will not tear as easily and will spread out the surface area more.

That should work shouldnt it? That would add probably another 1/4 or so, assuming I do 2 washers on each side of each shackle.

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #47
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

It should help, but you still only have about 1/2". Definitely better than 1/4 but if I were you I would just get some 3/8" or 1/2" plate and add some thickness that way. This will reinforce not only the hole itself but also the steel behind it. Otherwise you will still bend them easily if you do any side pulls.
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #48
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCredneck View Post
It should help, but you still only have about 1/2". Definitely better than 1/4 but if I were you I would just get some 3/8" or 1/2" plate and add some thickness that way. This will reinforce not only the hole itself but also the steel behind it. Otherwise you will still bend them easily if you do any side pulls.
Yeah, good point. I wish someone would have brought that up before I brought it to the welding shop so they could have done it for no extra cost. They would probably charge me again now...

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
Unread 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #49
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

If you have Kevin's tow points, why do you need more shackles on the bumper? But the bumper looks real good so far.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #50
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Thanks Ben.

I am doing it partially for looks, and for the fact that then I will have something to hook my winch hook to. And maybe sometime, somehow I cannot access Kevins tow points, maybe if I am in too deep and the winch wont work? lol

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 03-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #51
blovingier
1999 WJ 

What I would do is weld a 1/4" plate on the side. That should be enough to keep it from ripping through. I think you'd be ok like that. Here is my idea of what I'd do.

The black part is the added piece. If it was me I'd probably just stitch weld it on there, but you could probably get away with a full weld all the way around. Hope this helps some.

[B]99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo[/B] - [COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]Totalled[/SIZE][/COLOR]
-3" lift w/Bilsteins - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -30.5" Pirelli Scorpion ATRs
-[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494045"]Clear Lenses[/URL] - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5229329#post5229329"]Cobra 75 CB w/Wilson 4' Antenna[/URL]
-[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7008250#post7008250"]Home-Brew Discos[/URL]- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734768&highlight=diamond+plate+hitch+cover"]Diamond Plate Hitch Cover[/URL]

[B]07 Compass (wife's ride)[/B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]Sold[/SIZE][/COLOR]
-Stock
blovingier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #52
chim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

With the mount fabbed like that, I'd drill a pair of holes through the plate your winch is mounted on - outboard of the winch and lose those ears on the sides. That would allow some left and right swing of the shackles. Placing the shackles on the long ears of the sides might work for straight-ahead pulling, but I can see them bending to the side easily if you put much lateral force on them..............chim
chim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #53
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Don't know whats going on, but chim I like your idea. To my luck I just got in from welding 1/8" plates on both sides of the fairlead.

The other night I welded 1/8" worth of grade 8 3/4" washers on both sides of both shackle mounts. They are ever so slightly off centered, and its such a PITA to drill these out its very frustrating. Its taken me over an hour for one, now I still got one more to go.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 03-27-2008, 05:43 AM   #54
chim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

For that kind of drilling, here's something that may work. Get a good holesaw.

I modified some tractor implements a while back and needed to drill new holes for the 3-point hitch pins. The steel was 1/2" thick. First I drilled 1/4" holes straight through so the pilot bit was only guiding the saw. Then I had Wifey keep a small stream of water pointed at the saw to flush the tailings using a garden hose. The drill of choice was my Dewalt battery drill (just in case the water ended up where it shouldn't). Running the saw at a low speed it cut easily, and after two holes the saw was still like new.

Although you already have a large "pilot hole", you should be able to use the hole of the first washer to control the holesaw..............chim
Unread 03-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #55
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

I only have like 1/16 to drill, but its a combination of this washer being grade 8 and the bit getting more dull by the rotation. This is the last 3/4" I should have to drill, so I dont want to go blow $10 on another bit.

A holesaw would actually cut steel like that? I used one when I made my vacuum former last year, but that was only a 2x4

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #56
chim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We use holesaws at work to drill steel. Some are better than others...............chim
Unread 03-28-2008, 03:30 AM   #57
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Today I finished the "Bumper" which is more of a winch mount. I ended up just severely hacking up my stock bumper for the sides of the new one. I think it looks, decent.

I made the light mounts, license plate mount, worked on the PITA Clevis holes, and grinded some welds, and made them look pretty. It is in my garage right now drying the last coat of primer. Will do 3 layers of brown paint tomorrow, or should I do black? I will sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

Here are pics of the welds.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 03-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #58
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Well here it is and all of its entirety. I have yet to test it on anything other than pulling my body (holding the hook and reeling in). I will probably winch myself to a pole later tonight to wind it up nice. Let me know what you think...I really wanna get rid of the license plate there and just stick it in my window or something...that kills my approach angle. Anyone know if in the window is fine? I know there has to be one front and rear in MN but not sure if it matters where.

and the neighbors summer fun:

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 03-30-2008, 12:21 AM   #59
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

haha i like how you have a spy shot of your neighbors truck.

it looks awesome, looks kind of like it was meant to be there. as for the plate, why not just mount it off to the side on the bumper?
Unread 03-30-2008, 01:26 AM   #60
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
haha i like how you have a spy shot of your neighbors truck.

it looks awesome, looks kind of like it was meant to be there. as for the plate, why not just mount it off to the side on the bumper?
I figured I might as well take a pic while it was in the background.

I like the look for the most part. For the license plate, I am still researching. I think I would be fine if I mounted it on the side, the law states it must be visible from the front so I assume thats fine, but you may not be able to see it from the other side as well as if it were in the middle.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.