My front bumper build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My front bumper build

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 09-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #31
raskull
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTorch View Post
saw this over on Pirate.... nice bumper. Keep up the good work.

Dan
Thanks again! :P

__________________
(O|||||||O)
l_l*-----*l_l

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #32
YJSXJ
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ, NJ
Posts: 1,183
yea man, real nice
YJSXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #33
flatlander757
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,417
I REALLY like that front bumper

Can I see some pics from the back side of it to see how the shackle mounts are situated inside the bumper "shell?"
__________________
SOLDThe lumbering steel-laden pig - 2003 TJ - 40" LTBs - D60/D70HD - 5.86s - Detroit lockers - 110" wheelbase
Build thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2008, 04:04 AM   #34
fratis
......
 
fratis's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hale'iwa, Hawai'i
Posts: 4,914
-like this.
i like very little i see from home builders, don't like most catalog stuff. theres no quadratec "accessories" on my jeep. im a minimalist. but this i like very much. great work. i know how hard and time consuming this is to do at home.
-leave it be and skip the hoops. just a personal opinion. those are lame unless on the most hardcore wheeling machines where the stinger is long enough to be functional and the hood hoop is tall enough to do what its supposed to do.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #35
Speed911
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Conyers, GA
Posts: 922
How much would you build me one for? haha Looks great!
__________________
-Dane
Speed911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #36
raskull
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
-like this.
i like very little i see from home builders, don't like most catalog stuff. theres no quadratec "accessories" on my jeep. im a minimalist. but this i like very much. great work. i know how hard and time consuming this is to do at home.
-leave it be and skip the hoops. just a personal opinion. those are lame unless on the most hardcore wheeling machines where the stinger is long enough to be functional and the hood hoop is tall enough to do what its supposed to do.
Well, my rig is only on 31's and I completely agree with you. A grill hoop and stinger don't look good on smaller rigs.

However I plan on going to at least 37's so the grill hoop and stinger will get built. It's going to be all function, not a huge boner bar on the front. Here's an idea of what I'm getting done.



The guy that built that rig will be doing my grill hoop and stinger and I plan on getting it pretty much exactly the same as his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed911 View Post
How much would you build me one for? haha Looks great!
I'll send you a PM.
__________________
(O|||||||O)
l_l*-----*l_l

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #37
flatlander757
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
Can I see some pics from the back side of it to see how the shackle mounts are situated inside the bumper "shell?"
__________________
SOLDThe lumbering steel-laden pig - 2003 TJ - 40" LTBs - D60/D70HD - 5.86s - Detroit lockers - 110" wheelbase
Build thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #38
raskull
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
I REALLY like that front bumper

Can I see some pics from the back side of it to see how the shackle mounts are situated inside the bumper "shell?"
They are not inside at all. They are surface welded directly in front of the frame ends. Inside there are 1/4 doubler plates welded in, effectively making the tabs welded to a 7/16" plate.

Here are a few pictures of it mounted.

Don't mind the ****ty broken winch or the cables hanging.




__________________
(O|||||||O)
l_l*-----*l_l

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #39
drerict
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Alamosa, CO
Posts: 121
looks good
drerict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #40
Island4x4
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Posts: 312
looking good man. nice smooth edges
__________________
God is good to the Irish because nobody else is.

[COLOR="White"]White Jeep Club Member # 1337[/COLOR]
Island4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #41
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog
 
JeepRocks86's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY/ Columbus, IN
Posts: 6,361
I like it. Like I said, I'm going to use some of your ideas eventually when I make a new one for mine in a month or so. 1/4" top, 3/16 front and bottom, D ring spots with the reinforced back like you did (good Idea). But i'm going to leave the sides open for my antirock.

what I think would be really cool, and a very clean install would be to cut the front cross member out and lower the winch into there, but I don't want to cut the crossmember out so i'm not going to do that.
__________________
Stretched TJ , Coil overs, 42" IROKS, 60/14 bolt...
'95 YJ fuel injected 302, 8.8, cage, ARBs.
'04 QC LB Cummins 4x4
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks



JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2008, 01:59 AM   #42
jboy416
Wrangler
 
jboy416's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria, bc canada
Posts: 439
looks good. rokmem make a bumper just like that. the mercenary GT
jboy416 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #43
raskull
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86 View Post
I like it. Like I said, I'm going to use some of your ideas eventually when I make a new one for mine in a month or so. 1/4" top, 3/16 front and bottom, D ring spots with the reinforced back like you did (good Idea). But i'm going to leave the sides open for my antirock.

what I think would be really cool, and a very clean install would be to cut the front cross member out and lower the winch into there, but I don't want to cut the crossmember out so i'm not going to do that.
Yeah I had plans of doing a recessed winch plate, but I didn't want to raise the height of the sides to achieve that, so I just made it flat. If you keep the middle at normal height, and raise the sides to make it look like a recessed winch plate, you would get better tire clearance. But I really doubt I will be able to hit a bumper with my tires when the bumper is only 38" inches wide anyway.
__________________
(O|||||||O)
l_l*-----*l_l

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #44
bliberty_21
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gladstone, Michigan
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskull View Post
Redesigned from the ground up. Let me know what you think..






Of course the stepped looking corners on the sides would be filled with weld and ground smooth.

The little hook at the top of the stinger is for your winch cable when not in use.
This drawn up in some sort of CAD program i assume. Can i get the dimensions for it or no? I was thinking of building my own but having a hard time starting to project. Thanks
bliberty_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #45
cgmrdc
Registered User
1988 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 888
its on his website, scroll down to the bottom of the home page and you will see the write up. then click the link to the gallery
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.