My front bumper build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My front bumper build

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My front bumper build

Well here it is. It's a stubby style, only 3" wider on each side of the frame at the front, then it slopes back at a 45 degree angle.. I'll be adding a winch mount, stinger, and grill hoop as well. Let me know what you think!

The large 1" thick clevis mounts go through the entire bumper, and bolt directly to the frame. The formed pieces are then fitted into the gap between the clevis tabs, and tacked in for welding. I will do all the fitting/forming at work, and either weld it myself or get a buddy at work to weld it.

The clevis tabs are 1" thick, 5" high. The main bumper material is 3/16ths, and the winch plate will be integrated right in. That way you cannot remove the winch without taking the entire bumper off (to ward of thieves). The front of the winch plate (to hold the fairlead) will be 3/16ths.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good, are you starting with flat plate or rectangular tube? Also how are you going to mount it to your frame? Any plans on adding some tube work to it?
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740 View Post
Looks good, are you starting with flat plate or rectangular tube? Also how are you going to mount it to your frame? Any plans on adding some tube work to it?
C'mon now, at least read what I posted. All your questions are answered already.

http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom rockers build
My build thread
Unread 04-27-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Redesigned from the ground up. Let me know what you think..

Of course the stepped looking corners on the sides would be filled with weld and ground smooth.

The little hook at the top of the stinger is for your winch cable when not in use.

Custom rockers build
My build thread
Unread 04-27-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
miguelitojeep97

might want to leave the sides (where you mentioned you would fill in welds and grind smooth) open for possible currie anti-rock later on? maybe... just a thought. I really dig the bumper. I would love to build my own.
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
might want to leave the sides (where you mentioned you would fill in welds and grind smooth) open for possible currie anti-rock later on? maybe... just a thought. I really dig the bumper. I would love to build my own.
Yeah I think I will likely go that route. I'm not sure if I'm going to be spending the money for plasma cutting, or if I will just do it myself with a shear/grinder.. if I do it myself I'll just wait till I buy the antirock kit. If I get it plasma cut I will do it then.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Custom rockers build
My build thread
Unread 04-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If you run your fairlead mount out a little longer, you can tie it into the bottom of the stinger.. making it a gusset.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskull View Post
C'mon now, at least read what I posted. All your questions are answered already.
Wow, I was going to try to defend myself but.... really a horrible reading job on my part

I like how your mounting the clevis points directly to the frame, are you also using the stock mounting points? Looks like you have holes for it in your second set of drawings.

The second version looks better. I would add a rib or two inside the bumper under the winch mount, if you have enough room with the stock cross member.

Are you still planing on forming the main piece?
Unread 04-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
WingnuTJ

Very NICE!
Keep us updated!
I want one....
Unread 04-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740 View Post
Wow, I was going to try to defend myself but.... really a horrible reading job on my part

I like how your mounting the clevis points directly to the frame, are you also using the stock mounting points? Looks like you have holes for it in your second set of drawings.

The second version looks better. I would add a rib or two inside the bumper under the winch mount, if you have enough room with the stock cross member.

Are you still planing on forming the main piece?
Yeah definitely going to form as much of it as I can.. the less welding the better.

I didn't draw it in, but there will be supports inside, yeah. I plan on making a support that essentially covers the bottom of the winch plate so you cannot get a wrench in there to take the winch off unless the bumper if off the jeep.

Custom rockers build
My build thread
Unread 04-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When I looked at having some 2x4 tube cut for me at angles, the price was insane. I can't imagine what they would charge to bend it at multiple angles into a C section piece. Hopefully you know someone who will work for beer but be ready to end up welding it.

Nice looking bumper, looking forward to seeing it finished.
Unread 04-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #12
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hehe scotch.. you really don't read do ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskull
I will do all the fitting/forming at work

Custom rockers build
My build thread
Unread 04-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #13
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskull View Post
Hehe scotch.. you really don't read do ya.
Holy crap no I don't. Not too surprised at myself Ill shutup now.
Unread 04-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
If you run your fairlead mount out a little longer, you can tie it into the bottom of the stinger.. making it a gusset.
Yeah that's a great idea. I just wonder what it would be like to try and fit the vertical farlead mount to the angled tubing as a gusset..

Custom rockers build
My build thread
Unread 05-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #15
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Really like the design (and your CAD prowess) and I especially like the idea of having that tab (maybe it could be beefier) for the winch hook up on the stinger rather than clipping it to the clevis ring like most of us do. Nicely done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.