My flat skid build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 72 Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks good.

Stretched TJ , Coil overs, 42" IROKS, 60/14 bolt...
'95 YJ fuel injected 302, 8.8, cage, ARBs.
'04 QC LB Cummins 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
PBR

2000 TJ Wrangler 

sorry no progress guys! im going to get it done during thanksgiving break!
post #33 of 72 Old 11-25-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
PBR

2000 TJ Wrangler 

project is going to get started tomorrow, hopefully all goes well!!!

post #34 of 72 Old 11-25-2008, 10:02 PM
YredJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet, I cant wait to see some pics. Ill be starting mine with'n the next few weeks.

CERTIFIED BLEACH DRINKING WINDOW LICK'R
post #35 of 72 Old 11-26-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
PBR

2000 TJ Wrangler 

well ****! i have everything to do it but im stuck in a big hole and dont know what do to. my driveline angle is crazy! My double carden at my Tcase is at a crazy angle and when lifted so high the shifted is way into the dash when shifting. I may have to bend the tube down and inch and not go completely flat! Or adj my upper control arms and/or get a 1" motor mount lift.
post #36 of 72 Old 11-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Dogman

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure and post when you're done. I'll be starting mine soon.

John 3:17
post #37 of 72 Old 11-26-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
PBR

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Make sure and post when you're done. I'll be starting mine soon.
I wish i could get it done!!! i mean how much of an angle can a double carden rear shaft take?
post #38 of 72 Old 11-26-2008, 10:11 PM
YredJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a body lift ?

Your prolly gunna need a mml.

Today i unbolted my trans from my stock skid and jacked it up to see how much clearence i can get, it didnt look good either. I didnt have a problem with my shifter though but my drive shaft angle was friggin nuts.... but i dont have an sye, yet. I do though have a body lift 1" and 1" mml. Im hoping with the sye and some degree shims for my springs (leaf sprung) it should work.

CERTIFIED BLEACH DRINKING WINDOW LICK'R
post #39 of 72 Old 11-26-2008, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
PBR

2000 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i have a 1" body lift, but hopfully this week i can get around to buying some 1" think aluminum to build a mml.
post #40 of 72 Old 11-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Dogman

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR View Post
i mean how much of an angle can a double carden rear shaft take?
I'm not exactly sure, but it seems like you would be better off than most with a HP9. Then again, maybe that doesn't make a difference with a DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.4xshaft.com
How much lift can install or Do I need the CV to run at a high angle? Keep in mind that 1310 CV drive shaft will flex to about 30 degrees prior to binding. If you need to have more than this, We suggest that some machining and grinding work be done to the CV prior to assembly. This will typically allow for about 35 degrees of flexibility to the CV prior to binding. This additional grind work adds $70.00. It is generally suggested to have this work done on TJ applications having more than 5-1/2" of lift either a long arm kit or a belly up kit or any TJ application having more than 6-1/2.of lift.
Please refer to this link to help determine if you would need or benefit from this higher flexibility: Slopes VS Angles
Remember too that this procedure will allow the most flexibility possible. There is a possibility that you may still experience a binding problem in certain circumstances. After installation of the drive shaft at the transfer case end, proceed with the following test: Jack the vehicle up and let the suspension hang freely. Check to make sure the drive shaft will connect to the pinion and still rotate by hand with no binding. If this occurs, We recommend that you place a single limit strap directly over the center of the differential. This will still allow for a near full wheel articulation but prevent the entire differential from dropping to the point where you would experience a binding problem with the drive shaft.

John 3:17
post #41 of 72 Old 11-27-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
PBR

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I'm not exactly sure, but it seems like you would be better off than most with a HP9. Then again, maybe that doesn't make a difference with a DC.
nice artical from tom woods, i may grind some of my rear cv a little bit so i can get more degree out of it.
post #42 of 72 Old 11-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Scotch740

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am currently going though this issue with my flat skid and RE 4.5" lift. I had my U joints go out with less than 1000 miles on my Double Cardian shaft. Had it rebuilt and now its vibrating with about another 1000 miles on it. Both times it started acting up was after a weekend of wheeling.

That is with the Unlimited's 10" extra wheel base, 5" of lift and raising the Trans mount 2.5" (4" due to the skid minus 1.5" from the 33 engineering mount).

While I was unable to feel it binding while on the ground, the shop doing my gears is pretty sure that is the issue and is sending it back to Tom Woods for grinding and another rebuild.

You may not be able to get it on the frame rails with a low pinion axle. I would definitely suggest making the lowest profile mount you can.
post #43 of 72 Old 11-29-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
PBR

2000 TJ Wrangler 

really! that sucks about your experience with the flat skid with the lift!

I have another plan is not to build a crossmember and just mount it all to the skid like stock. But again the skid bottom will be flat just not flat with the frame rails! Also when i cut my skid out it was all set up for a flat skid so cant really double bend it to drop it down. So may get some 1" think steel bar and just weld it on to the skid so it will drop the skid down 1".
post #44 of 72 Old 12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740 View Post
I am currently going though this issue with my flat skid and RE 4.5" lift. I had my U joints go out with less than 1000 miles on my Double Cardian shaft. Had it rebuilt and now its vibrating with about another 1000 miles on it. Both times it started acting up was after a weekend of wheeling.

That is with the Unlimited's 10" extra wheel base, 5" of lift and raising the Trans mount 2.5" (4" due to the skid minus 1.5" from the 33 engineering mount).

While I was unable to feel it binding while on the ground, the shop doing my gears is pretty sure that is the issue and is sending it back to Tom Woods for grinding and another rebuild.

You may not be able to get it on the frame rails with a low pinion axle. I would definitely suggest making the lowest profile mount you can.
Do you have adjustable control arms? Sounds like you need to change your pinion angle.

I am also doing a flat belly pan. This is going on my YJ. I already installed the 1" Body lift and the 1" MM lift. I had some issues with my weld bungs (for the stock cross member) which I finished up on Friday. I am planning on getting the steel tomarrow so hopefully I will be done with it sometime this weekend. I will post pictures when done.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #45 of 72 Old 12-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Scotch740

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Do you have adjustable control arms? Sounds like you need to change your pinion angle.

I am also doing a flat belly pan. This is going on my YJ. I already installed the 1" Body lift and the 1" MM lift. I had some issues with my weld bungs (for the stock cross member) which I finished up on Friday. I am planning on getting the steel tomarrow so hopefully I will be done with it sometime this weekend. I will post pictures when done.
Yup adjustable uppers and lowers front and rear. My pinion angle is set to 1* less than my drive shaft angle.

But thats a different thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.