My first real 'fab': Rocker Guards, starting rear bumper tonight - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My first real 'fab': Rocker Guards, starting rear bumper tonight

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My first real 'fab': Rocker Guards, starting rear bumper tonight

Although it's a relatively simple project, I'm starting to fabricate my own parts for the jeep.

For the first time in my life, I now own a grinder, welder and have my own larger garage. I also have more cars than just my jeep at my disposal. This means it's time to start doing stuff.

One side of my jeep was involved in a hit and run. The other side rocker guard received some *concrete rash* while rock crawling up the front steps of a building during college.

While I was out picking up some thick 14 gauge tubing for some bumpers and a tire carrier I saw some angle steel. I decided to pick some up and do my own rocker guards.

So for around $20, I'll patch my existing damage. Below is an initial picture. After my final clear coat dries and I can get them installed, I'll upload the before and after pictures. Too bad my new flares are on back order; you'll have to see my factory flares until then.
(These 33's look really small in my wheel wells right? I think I need to find some used crawling 35's I can occasionally exchange with these.)

Alright...I've always wanted to fabricate my own parts. Hopefully this will be the first of many other posts.

rocker_guards.jpg  
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

And here's my initial metal purchase. Next purchases will be: 2x2 11 gauge, 1" round tubing and $100 hydraulic harbor freight bender.
metal_stock.jpg  
Unread 03-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

And here's the finished product...
rocker_guards_after.jpg  
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Bama1987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So you just sliced the rectangle tubing on two opposite corners cleaned them up and bolted them on? I've been working on a bumper like one I saw on here and have rocker guards planned next. Is that really all there was to it? More pics and details please. They look nice and I bet alot cheaper than some I've seen online
Bama1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Bama1987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry just noticed that you used angle iron. How well did the 90 degree angle fit to the underside? What are your thoughts on tying it in to the frame and bolting the skid plate over it?
Unread 03-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama1987 View Post
Sorry just noticed that you used angle iron. How well did the 90 degree angle fit to the underside? What are your thoughts on tying it in to the frame and bolting the skid plate over it?
Yeah I used cheaper angle iron. In a perfect situation I'd have 11 gauge 6 tall angle iron that also bolted to the frame. It would also have a tubular step for the kids who have trouble getting into the jeep.

In this case I was at the metal warehouse and saw some of this angle iron sitting there when I placed my order for bumper material. Mine is more cosmetic as it covers up existing damage as opposed to stronger armor which could protect the jeep.

Either way it was really simple to do and in my opinion looks better.

Things I'd do differently....Use existing holes for flares. I just made my own holes with little thought. I'd also grind down the edge of my bolts flat so you wouldn't see much from the outside. The satin paint looks a little cheap. When I install my new flares next month I may grind down the bolts and paint over with semi-gloss paint.
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Bama1987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know how people hate torx but I was planning on counter sinking the holes on the outside and using torx bolts with tapered heads. Mine too will mostly be cosmetic. (Mostly trails and fields without alot of rocks) I think the way you did it will offer quite a bit of protection anyway.
Unread 03-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Looks good.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.