My first fab work on my TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My first fab work on my TJ

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My first fab work on my TJ

I bought a wilderness roof rack for a good price from the sale section here. It needed paint and a good cleaning. I had no instructions, so I searched the web and found a site where a guy did an install and showed the original instructions. Then I realized the instructions said I had to drill 6 holes in the body. I really didn't want to do that, so I made this. Pretty simple, just figured I'd share... In the future when I build my rear bumper I'll make a bolt on receiver, which will end up looking a lot better.

Dragon158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Kornik
Not so newbie :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon158
I bought a wilderness roof rack for a good price from the sale section here. It needed paint and a good cleaning. I had no instructions, so I searched the web and found a site where a guy did an install and showed the original instructions. Then I realized the instructions said I had to drill 6 holes in the body. I really didn't want to do that, so I made this. Pretty simple, just figured I'd share... In the future when I build my rear bumper I'll make a bolt on receiver, which will end up looking a lot better.

click free...
Kornik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice.. how much weight do those things hold?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure, but the thing is pretty damn sturdy. I'll check the instructions and see if they have a load limit. The thing complete weighs close to 100 lbs., so it seems it will hold a decent amount.
Unread 07-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
Burbo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is there room to drop the soft top with it on there?
Unread 07-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
TJ-Marine PA
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing no.
JarHead Jeep Club Member #8 www.bbnt4x4.org
Go Pittsburgh!!! Go Penn State!!!
TJ-Marine PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #7
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The uprights are mounted tightly, to drop the top I need to remove 2 of the 4 bolts. (There are 4 bolts holding the red section on, 1 over each upright.) The rack came with props to hold the upper section, so I can lower the top. It takes an extra few minutes to do and isn't too bad to do alone. I may modify it later with hinges or something, kind make it lie the Dave rack thing...
Unread 07-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, posting a little more info for user M60-E4, he pm'ed me asking for some more pics and measurements. I also found a link to a step by step install.

Step by step instructions @ 4x4 Icon

Scans of actual instructions for rack

This is how the rack will lift if you drill through the body, the instructions state that you need to drill 3 3/8" holes on each side, 6 all together.

I fabricate my own mounting bracket to avoid drilling through the body. So in order for me to lower the top I need to remove the 2 front bolts, like in this picture below.

With the way I mounted it, I am able to adjust the height. M60-E4 asked what the height in the rear was, for me to clear the top at the center bow I am about 50 & 1/2" from the top of the factory bumper. I would assume it would be around the same height if you did the drill and the install as per the instructions. The height in the front is around 4", give or take a little. The rack isn't exactly level, the *** of my Rubicon sits higher, so I adjusted the rear so it's at around the same pitch as the rig. I wasn't able to find a load rating, but I feel it would be more then what I'll be putting up there. The rack feels very strong, and I've only mounted the rear with 1 bolt per side. I plan on adding an additional bolt per side when I fab my new rear bumper and tire swing. Here are some more pics, if someone could click free them for me, that would be great.

Unread 07-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

These are the brackets that you'll use if you drill through the body. The large hole goes through the body mount.

This last one is a pic of what I was working on yesterday while taking the picture at work.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I'll post again when I build the rear bumper and rack receiver, sometime in the next few months.
Unread 07-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
Kornik

Quote:
Ok, posting a little more info for user M60-E4, he pm'ed me asking for some more pics and measurements. I also found a link to a step by step install.

Step by step instructions @ 4x4 Icon

Scans of actual instructions for rack

This is how the rack will lift if you drill through the body, the instructions state that you need to drill 3 3/8" holes on each side, 6 all together.

I fabricate my own mounting bracket to avoid drilling through the body. So in order for me to lower the top I need to remove the 2 front bolts, like in this picture below.

With the way I mounted it, I am able to adjust the height. M60-E4 asked what the height in the rear was, for me to clear the top at the center bow I am about 50 & 1/2" from the top of the factory bumper. I would assume it would be around the same height if you did the drill and the install as per the instructions. The height in the front is around 4", give or take a little. The rack isn't exactly level, the *** of my Rubicon sits higher, so I adjusted the rear so it's at around the same pitch as the rig. I wasn't able to find a load rating, but I feel it would be more then what I'll be putting up there. The rack feels very strong, and I've only mounted the rear with 1 bolt per side. I plan on adding an additional bolt per side when I fab my new rear bumper and tire swing. Here are some more pics, if someone could click free them for me, that would be great.

click free... :-)
Unread 07-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
Kornik

Quote:

These are the brackets that you'll use if you drill through the body. The large hole goes through the body mount.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I'll post again when I build the rear bumper and rack receiver, sometime in the next few months.
and again :-)
Unread 07-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Now you need to rig up some linear actuators so that you can undo a couple latches, push some buttons and fold it down... zzzzztt..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #13
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was actually thinking of rigging some hood struts up, but it would probably look ghetto.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.