My bumper build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > My bumper build.

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
robbiem

My bumper build.

Finished my bumper up this morning. It turned out pretty good. Just have to find a winch and some lights. Rear will be the same style but with a carrier.

Started with 2x5 rect tube 1/4" wall. Cut it into an L shape and plated the rest with 3/16". Uses all the factory mounting holes and the steering box skid uses a box bolt.

Made it this far on my own.

My friend has a plasma table and tube bender so I took it to his house to finish it up.

The best part about it all is I had everything I needed in the shop already so didn't spend anything on it.

Cant wait to get the rear and sliders done.

robbiem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Mattific
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good! I'm planning on making something similar just more of a stinger and not as wide
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
mason93
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Im saving this for future reference. Good work
Unread 04-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
robbiem

Thanks! Some led floods and a nice winch will make it complete and functional.
Unread 04-22-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I like the way you used rectangular tube along with plate.. nice work!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
I like the way you used rectangular tube along with plate.. nice work!
Saves a lot of work by not having to grind and flap disc that top edge too.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
robbiem

Got started on my rear bumper/swing out yesterday, made it as far as I could until my shackle mounts, hinge, and latch get here. Hopefully they will hurry up.

The plan is to make this one look similar to the front, started with 2x5 1/4 wall tube, mite red the ends then used 2x4 3/16" tube for the top and 3/16" plate for the rest. I haven't decided if I'm going to mount it flush with the rear crossmember or space it out like I see some people do. I like the idea o I being nice and tight with the body. It's using the stock mounting hole for the bumper and receiver hitch plus the crossmember mount will get reinforced.
Unread 05-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
robbiem

Cut up the factory receiver hitch it'll be recessed in with the chain plate also.
The hinge is the 1 3/4 one from comp4x4 and I'm using a destaco 344r latch which should hold the thing pretty snug and has a safety latch witch gives me piece of mind.

I'll update when I get it all finished up.

Last edited by robbiem; 05-05-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Unread 05-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Mattific
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I spaced mine out the same amount as the stock bumper was. Then just fit a strip to cover the gab between the top of the bumper and the frame
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nicely done.
jasonswelding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
KickRock
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good
KickRock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
robbiem

made progress on it today, ran out of welding stuff so I'll have to get back at it soon. Its almost done, just a couple more do dads. mounts, gussets, cb antenna mount, hi lift mount, golite mount, finish welding, and paint.

I'd like to make some kind of telescoping mount for the golight. It would be cool to be able to push a button and have it extend above the roofline.

I will be glad to get this one done, its been a pain. I hate cutting with the angle grinder.
Unread 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
robbiem

Got it all finished up. Still have to wire golight, order new longer cb cable and get one of those pull latches to use to lock it in the open position but those are all small things. The bumper turned out great, very solid. It doesn't move at all thanks to 12 mounting bolts (well 10 until I go buy the 2 to fill the extra 2 frame holes). Also the De sta co latch works perfect for this and holds it super tight.

Copied comp4x4 with these and they turned out really good also. No pushing and pulling, everything just fits together nicely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.