Mounting Tabs for D rings? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-19-2004, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Birdlaw

2014 JK Wrangler 

Mounting Tabs for D rings?

I am building a set of bumpers. Garden variety out of 3/16th rectangular tubing.
Where on the bumper would you mount tabs for d rings as far as strength is concerned?
I am going to mount them through the bumper(cut slot and weld from both sides), but should I mount them as close to the frame tie-ins as possible, or would further out be OK?
Any other suggestions appreciated.....
Thanks,
J

98 Sport- 4.0 5 Speed
Garmin GPS
Black Labrador Retriever as Spotter
Black Jeep Club Member #46
CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB MEMBER # 16
Dumb A Jeep Club Member # 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-19-2004, 01:41 PM
dzp

Closer to the frame mounts the better.

What material are you planning on using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tyler, Texas
97 TJ, Red, 33" MTR's, Locked F/R, D30/Ford8.8, JKS Disco's, DT3000's, tinted Sailcloth top, 8k Ramsey, Custom bumpers/armor, Ramps 890 on 25degree ramp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dzp; 05-19-2004 at 01:43 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-19-2004, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Birdlaw

2014 JK Wrangler 

2x4 rectangular tubing. 3/16 wall.
I already have the bumper cut and the corners cut (not very original, but I like the look).
I am welding a 1/4" plate along the top of the bumper to use as a mounting plate. I will cut 1/4" tabs to use for the bottom mounting tabs.I am thinking about 1.5" wide and long enough to give me about a 1/2 all aroung the bolt hole. That is for the front.
The rear is the same deal except that the mounting brackets are sections of the 2x4 stock welded to the bumper and bolted into the crossmember with a 1/4" frame tie-in bracket that I have yet to make. The tire carrier hinge is a 1" trailer spindle with trailer bearings inside a 2" pipe section. a 1x3 rectangular tube will be coped and welded to the outside of the pipe with the bearings. The tire carrier will be 1.5" square tubing braced with angled supports and a triangular brace out is 1/4" plate if needed. I still don't have a latch yet, but I remember a thread on latches. I am also welding a reciever tube into the bumper with 1/4" angled braces behind the bumper.
I can't weld too well yet, but I am improving. Plus I only have about $120 in it so far and I am having a blast doing it.
Suggestions?

98 Sport- 4.0 5 Speed
Garmin GPS

post #4 of 10 Old 05-20-2004, 08:13 AM
dzp

Sounds good. Be paitent and the welding skill will come.
I use 3/4" x 2" flat bar for the clevis tab. Hole is 7/8" for the shackle.
Do a search for the differences btwn D rings and Shackles. D rings are solid, where Shackles have the removable bolt.

Tyler, Texas
97 TJ, Red, 33" MTR's, Locked F/R, D30/Ford8.8, JKS Disco's, DT3000's, tinted Sailcloth top, 8k Ramsey, Custom bumpers/armor, Ramps 890 on 25degree ramp.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-21-2004, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Birdlaw

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzp
Sounds good. Be paitent and the welding skill will come.
I use 3/4" x 2" flat bar for the clevis tab. Hole is 7/8" for the shackle.
Do a search for the differences btwn D rings and Shackles. D rings are solid, where Shackles have the removable bolt.
ooops....how about a d-shackle?
Thanks Zach!

98 Sport- 4.0 5 Speed
Garmin GPS
post #6 of 10 Old 05-21-2004, 09:11 AM
dzp

NP
Good luck on your build. Be sure to post some pics when you are done.

Tyler, Texas

post #7 of 10 Old 06-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Scrambler82

1982 CJ8 

I'm with DZP, keep the Shackle mounts as close to the Frame mounting points as possible, in fact I was thinking about mounting mine inside the rails.

I know, that if you cut through the bumper and weld to the front and the rear of the shackle mount/bumper it will be stronger, but I don't think I can remember a shackle mount pulling off that was welded to just the front of the bumper.
If you want to carry on the idea of extra welding how about welding the inside of the mounts before putting on the end caps ?

Also to add to the D-Ring/Shackle thing, some off-road parks don't like the use of "D-Rings", why, who knows but just something I read SOMEWHERE !

Later,

Scrambler82

Do it right the first time !
post #8 of 10 Old 06-02-2004, 08:47 AM
dzp

It is because some D-ring manuf use straps that are too small (like 1/4")

You definetly want to weld it on both sides of the bumper. If you dont, then you are really pulling using the thickness (3/16") of the bumper, not the tab. You will bend it and possibly make it fail and shear away. I personally have seen them bend the front part of the bumper out. Very scary to see. Its all about knowing where the stress points are and disributing the load as much as possible. You dont need to know the math and physics behind it, just weld it to both parts of the tube.

Tyler, Texas

post #9 of 10 Old 06-02-2004, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Birdlaw

2014 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE...
I had the tabs made out of 1x2 inch steel bar with a hole punched in it by a machine shop. It would have taken me six months to drill and cut these. They did in ten minutes
I welded the tabs front and back. The biggest PITA was cutting the slots. Originally I planned on using a 1" bi-metal hole saw. It worked OK. However, when I got to the front bumper, I had already welded the mounting plate on and did not want to remove it so the driss press could not reach the back side. I used a regular drill bit, drilled pilot holes and connected them with a metal cutting blade in a hand-held jig saw. It was a little slow but made GREAT slots. A die grinder added the finishing adjustment.
I'll post pics once I can borrow a digital camera......

98 Sport- 4.0 5 Speed
Garmin GPS
post #10 of 10 Old 06-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Blue XJ

1988 MJ Comanche 

When I made my bumper, I extended the mounting brackets through the bumper and used those for the shackle mounts. Its 1/2" steel, just used that for the bumper mount and the shackle.

'88 MJ
Blue Jeep Club Member #72
| 4.6L Stroker | AW4 | 6.5" RK Long Arm Kit | 35" TruXus MT's | HP30, 4.56, ARB, Alloys, Lockouts | C8.25, 4.56, ARB, Alloy Shafts, Disk Brakes | Warn XD9000i | Interior Cage |

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.