More flex for my tj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > More flex for my tj?

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 10-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Atraxtj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

More flex for my tj?

I know this gets asked a lot, but I have been doing some research and really haven't found anything specific to answer my questions.

Right now on my tj I have a 4" skyjacker lift with a 1" spacer up front and the rear axle is a 8.8 with an artec industries truss, I know the truss gives a little extra lift so right now let's say it's about 5" of lift. I also have a 1.25" BL and I'm running 35s. Hopefully I can get some tube fenders and run 36's soon. I have quick sway bar disconnects, sye, adjustable track bar, and a drop pitman arm. My jeep has fixed lower control arms and stock uppers, the shocks are still the 4" skyjacker shocks and they are horrible and really uncomfortable on the road.

My question is how can I get more flex out of my tj? I'm going to put a down payment on a RC long arm kit Friday, but that's really all I could think of doing for more flex. Is there better shocks I could get to get more flex? If so what would you all recommend? I'm only 17 so I can just save up if what you all recommend is expensive, so don't worry about price. I really got a job so I could buy nice things for my jeep 😂 Is there tricks I don't know of? Is there anything I could buy? I don't want to go into anything as difficult as coilover conversions but I can do things like shock relocation mounts. Would that help? Anything you all recommend for more flex just shoot. Thanks!

Atraxtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ has a 2" OME HD lift, Antirock, and Rokmen adjustable control arms, and it has plenty of flex. What are you looking to do with all this new found flex?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Atraxtj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty much to show off 😂. I mean I play on rocks a lot and more Tavel would be great!
Unread 10-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A complete set of adjustable control arms is a good start, much better than the stock arms. Proper length shocks for the lift you're running is a must as well.

I've done quite well with my set up in places such as Moab Utah and Ouray Colorado.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 10-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Atraxtj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of shocks would you recommend? I was looking at the bilstein shocks with reservoirs.
Unread 10-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I ran Bilstein shocks (5100's I believe) on my previous Jeep (95 YJ) and they were great. I have Old Man Emu shocks now.

Unread 10-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If your suspension doesn't flex enough for you you need to start by figuring out what is limiting the down travel (or up travel) of the axle. Is it your shocks bottoming out? Control arm joints binding? Or do you just need more room in the wheel well. I would guess the skyjacker lift control arms have poly or rubber bushings. Replacing those with flex joints like a Johnny joint will provide much more articulation. And don't just throw the cheapest long arm kit you can find on it because you think it might help flex. I've heard a lot of negatives about the RC long arm kit. Longer control arms help with articulation because they don't displace the axle back as far during down travel. But changing the suspension geometry can affect a lot of other things. Try searching the forum for long arm info before you buy a bolt on kit.
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Signature goes here !
Unread 10-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

In general, long arms are not going to give you more "flex" than short arms. Shock travel and the type of control arm bushings are the primary factors that limit "flex". The more travel in the shock the more flex. You also want Johnny/heim joints in the control arms. Next you need to avoid binding in the steering, trackbars, and driveshafts.

Frankly, flex is overrated. If you want to get further down the trail then throw in some lockers.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.