modifying HF tube kinker die. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > modifying HF tube kinker die.

Wheeler Special! Black Steelies w/ 33" Mickey ThompsoROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO April Instant Rebate: Up to $75 off Flowmaster Products!

Unread 03-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #1
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I'm a super cheap kind of guy and would rather build my stuff than buy it so I'm working on my version of a tube bender using the HF kinker dies. I've always thought that the problem with HF bender is the way it bends... pushing the die up against the pipe while it rests on two rollers So I plan to make it better or give it a valiant effort, by making it pull the tube through the die in an arc eh!?eh!? eh!? Earth shattering I know right?
Disclaimer I'm making this completely out of scrap metal and left overs I had lying around total out of pocket $0.00, labor: to be determined
So I started with a die, and made two pie oh and a 12 ton bottle jack, I could use some practice with my cutting torch

Next I welded the cutouts to the die left them bigger for a reason (get to that later)

Turns out my old fairlead rollers make a good pivot point.

I knew that scrap piece of 1 1/4" rod would come in handy.

Making sure its on there straight cant have any booty fab.

Had me about 5 ft of 6x6 1/4" angle lying around that should do the trick.
Hole drilled for precisional pivoting.

Main frame work tacked together

Unread 03-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Next I got to working on the way it will push it through the Ark.... errr! I meant arc.
I used one of my old straight buck tooth shackles and cut it in half and welded those two together and made a stinger for it to attach to the jack.

Then I made a base for the jack to sit on along with attachments to the stinger.

Walla!! All mocked up.

Made a cradle for the head of the jack to rest in.

Full range of motion

Ready for a test bend

Seems to be working good. I used a piece of 1 5/8" galvanized fence post I had lying around as my guinea pig.

Oops back to the drawing board!!

What I plan to do is build up the sides more on the die on the top of the saddle and hit the sides of the saddle with my flap disc to smooth it out so it fits the tube snug and of course try a real piece of tube and not some cheap *** fence post.
Don't worry I plan to fully box it in and weld the die solid just working out some of the "kinks" first ( pun intended)
Stay tuned!!
Unread 03-15-2015, 11:17 PM   #3
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm definitely going to follow this one. I've been wanting to bite the bullet on a bender for a while but I'm a tool snob and the cheapest worthwhile one I've found is around $700. This seems like a cool idea if you can get it to work. Am I seeing this right though, will the maximum bend be 90 degrees?
Unread 03-15-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonk View Post
I'm definitely going to follow this one. I've been wanting to bite the bullet on a bender for a while but I'm a tool snob and the cheapest worthwhile one I've found is around $700. This seems like a cool idea if you can get it to work. Am I seeing this right though, will the maximum bend be 90 degrees?
Yes the max it could bend is 90* I have no need to do 180 if I do I'll just pay someone to do it. This is mainly for my tube sliders and fenders, and if its a success roll cage mods.
Unread 03-15-2015, 11:28 PM   #5
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, needing 180 is kind of a rarity. I was thinking along the lines of a stinger. They seem to get a lot of hatred on this forum, but I think a well made/designed one is a good idea. 90 should be more than enough for just about everything else though. Nice work so far.
Unread 03-15-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah stingers aint my style , but I do have this bull bar of sorts. Its just temporarily bolted on until I decide where I like it then I will burn it on
Unread 03-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the reason I think it is kinking it's not sitting all the way down in the saddle its just pinching it on the sides. A little flap disc action should take care of that.
Unread 03-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Keep up the good work. You'll get it sorted out.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
Jeffrok
1978 CJ5 

Im am an electrician and bending conduit is essential for me. You set up your bender much like the ones we use except that ours has a curved shoe in the same position as yours and a strait shoe that is on the bottom and travels forward with the pipe while the curved shoe is riding against it. This serves the purpose of holding the pipe tightly into the curved shoe so the pipe will not kink on the inner radius but be formed by the curved shoe. Search online for a video on bending conduit with a Greenlee table bender.
Jeffrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Here is the reason I think it is kinking it's not sitting all the way down in the saddle its just pinching it on the sides. A little flap disc action should take care of that.
Is that tube in the picture or pipe? I think that's why a lot of people have issues with the HF models, they're made for pipe (measured by ID) not tube (measured by OD). Looks like you should be able to modify it to make it work though.
Unread 03-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrok View Post
Im am an electrician and bending conduit is essential for me. You set up your bender much like the ones we use except that ours has a curved shoe in the same position as yours and a strait shoe that is on the bottom and travels forward with the pipe while the curved shoe is riding against it. This serves the purpose of holding the pipe tightly into the curved shoe so the pipe will not kink on the inner radius but be formed by the curved shoe. Search online for a video on bending conduit with a Greenlee table bender.
That's pretty slick and massive yes essentially that would be awesome to allow the lower rollers to move with the die in the arc I may improve on my design taking from that. THANKS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonk View Post

Is that tube in the picture or pipe? I think that's why a lot of people have issues with the HF models, they're made for pipe (measured by ID) not tube (measured by OD). Looks like you should be able to modify it to make it work though.
No its not tube its 1 1/4" ID chain link fence post which is what the HF die is made for but OD of the die is 1 5/8" so that size tube should fit.
I am hitting it with a flap disc tonight and will slide some tube in it for test fits. It doesnt seem like the tube/pipe fits down in the saddle far enough either, which would explain why its flattening out causing it to blow out the sides. So I'm going to add some small round stock to the top of the die to make it deeper. A lot of work I know, but I'm this far might as well. unless someone can think of a better idea.
Unread 03-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I kind of have a new idea for the sweeper die, That's not angle iron I know that it puts a lot of force on the angle as its dragging it through and sadly I kind of rushed it on that. So my new plan (keeping with using recycled materials) is a lawn mower wheel I have laying around has the same id as the tubes od. I will set it up on some rollers and then as it pulls the pipe through it wont drag as much and not put as much stress on the tube in the die and hopefully not kink.
Unread 03-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #13
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got a little carried away and made it to fit 1 3/4" tube. Lol
Got started right a way and made me some sliders. It bends pretty good up to 45*. with my new sweeper die idea it should not have a problem bending up to 90*.
This will do for now.

Added some round stock to it to make the die deeper dont mind the hack job with the cutting torch I haven't got it dialed in yet.

Not half bad. This is some 1 3/4" .120 wall

Still lots more to do before I can start bending a roll cage but I can at least make sliders and tube fenders. So far this still hasn't cost me a dime $$ but I may break and spend cash on parts to make the sweeper die.
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #14
HS00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very cool, I bought a brand new kinker for 60 bucks about a year ago in hopes of modifying it to bend tube and never touched it since.lol
HS00XJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS00XJ View Post
Very cool, I bought a brand new kinker for 60 bucks about a year ago in hopes of modifying it to bend tube and never touched it since.lol
Thanks didnt know anybody was reading it its not perfect but works the real challenge is getting the sweeper die setup and it should work better, just haven't had a chance to touch it been real busy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.