Mini project - XJ / YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Mini project - XJ / YJ

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-18-2002, 10:02 PM   #1
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mini project - XJ / YJ

How do you keep the engine bay of your Jeep cool enough on hot days? Well, one thing to try is hood grills.

For a full writeup, visit my modifications page .. but for a quick run down ..

1. Dig up a pair of Chrysler NewYorker Turbo hood grills
2. Get tools, including felt marker, straight edge, tape measure, goggles, gloves, angle grinder
3. Markout on hood where grills are to be placed
4. Use angle grinder to cut big hole in hood

5. Fill big hole with grills

So far, one done on XJ, S-10, YJ and another YJ to be done shortly!

• Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2002, 09:31 AM   #2
89JEEPNYC

Since you did that to your hood. How much cooler is the engine now?
89JEEPNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2002, 05:04 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just talked to Defcon1 the owner of the Jeep that we did the grills on, and he hasn't noticed a major difference in the last 3 days as far as the engine temp. guage is concerned. Mind you, the temps around Calgary for the last while has been fairly cool.

Long term testing in effect right now .. hopefully will have a better idea within a week or two what kinds of changes these grills will allow.

Unread 08-21-2002, 10:15 PM   #4
St.LJustin

I'd like to the finished product. I've always liked the looks of hood grills. Any pics?

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2002, 07:08 AM   #5
89JEEPNYC

If I were going to cut holes in my hood. I think I'd rather just put on a scoop or some sort of ram air on it.
89JEEPNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2002, 11:41 PM   #6
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by St.LJustin
I'd like to the finished product. I've always liked the looks of hood grills. Any pics?
Click on the link in the first message .. it takes you directly to my page about cutting the hood and mounting the grills ..

Quote:
Originally posted by 89JEEPNYC
If I were going to cut holes in my hood. I think I'd rather just put on a scoop or some sort of ram air on it.
I have one ram scoop for a hood .. on the hunt for a second one to match. Once I have those parts ready and available, I will start getting ready to cut up another hood for testing. If someone comes up with another idea, a third hood could be procurred easily enough to do even more testing

Unread 08-27-2002, 01:24 AM   #7
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

hood vents

I've been planning to do this for a while now and expect to install the vents (grills) before next summer. I'm keeping my eyes open for different vent styles to choose from and have a few questions or points to think about.

1. Vent location. Like you I plan on placing the vents where I won't have to cut into the hood support peices. But that limits the possible locations mostly to the middle and rear sections of my XJ hood. In this instance I'm wondering which would be better, toward the center of the hood (directly over the engine) or off to the sides (over air intake, and battery). Also if they could be placed more to the front of the hood, do you think this would be better since it might create a vacuum behind the radiator which would cause more air to be sucked through the radiator to fill the void? Or would the same effect be created no matter where the vents were placed?

2. Is water coming through the vents a concern?

Thanks

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2002, 11:14 PM   #8
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Bill

Mount a scoop as far back on the hood as possible (close to the windshield and mount it with the opening facing the windshield...
For the ram scoop to work, it has to be pointing towards the front of the Jeep .. for an "air induction" scoop .. the opening points away from the front of the Jeep

Quote:
Originally posted by EricsXJ
I've been planning to do this for a while now and expect to install the vents (grills) before next summer. I'm keeping my eyes open for different vent styles to choose from and have a few questions or points to think about.

1. Vent location. Like you I plan on placing the vents where I won't have to cut into the hood support peices. But that limits the possible locations mostly to the middle and rear sections of my XJ hood. In this instance I'm wondering which would be better, toward the center of the hood (directly over the engine) or off to the sides (over air intake, and battery). Also if they could be placed more to the front of the hood, do you think this would be better since it might create a vacuum behind the radiator which would cause more air to be sucked through the radiator to fill the void? Or would the same effect be created no matter where the vents were placed?

2. Is water coming through the vents a concern?
As far as water is concerned, its not a big deal at all. As far as placement goes, if you check the link in my first message, there is a link in the main body of the story about my buddy Don and his 4-banger XJ. He is the one who started the rest of us on these grills .. and there is a picture of his XJ with one grill in place over the exhaust side of the engine. Click here for the picture of his Jeep (as a quick link if you wish).

The shape of the vents used dictate how they would work ... some would work better at the front of the hood, and some work better at the back .. if you go with the exact same style of grills, they would work great exactly as Don's sit .. over the exhaust manifold.

Unread 08-28-2002, 12:31 PM   #9
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Bill

I know. I was just curious to know which would work better for a Jeep.
I personally am thinkin' the ram-air would be the better route to go .. smooth lines to the scoop .. the closest induction style would be too far from the windshield to create the proper level of negative pressure zone (imo).

Unread 08-30-2002, 09:00 PM   #10
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well .. think to the "normal" induction scooped hoods .. the induction is within 3" of the windshield .. the closest that the Jeep could be is somewhere around 5 or 6" from the hood .. meaning that the negative pressure zone would not be as strong.

Maybe we should get an engineer into this discussion who can run all the calculations to determine if the negative pressure zone would be alright the 5 or 6" from the windshield ..

Unread 05-02-2003, 03:21 AM   #11
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I finally got around to installing these vents. I did address the water issue by making some drip pans that fit underneath the vents. All in all I am very pleased with them and I'm sure I'll be even more happy when the summer heat arrives.

If anyone would like to see another write up on installing these vents, I put one up on my webpage as well. Heres the link -
http://www.ericsxj.com/vents.htm

Unread 05-06-2003, 08:10 AM   #12
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dam that looks good eric.

Is you hood pitting towards the front? That pic looks like it

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2003, 10:33 PM   #13
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally posted by brcomputer
Dam that looks good eric.

Is you hood pitting towards the front? That pic looks like it
On the hood no. I think what you are seeing in the pic is some of the metalic dust still on the hood and the way the light is hitting it. I do have quite a few tiny rock chips above the grill where it says "Jeep" though from driving on the highway a lot

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.