Mini jeep for son - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Mini jeep for son

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mini jeep for son

I might be goin out in a limb here or bringing back a dead topic I don't know.

I'm wanting to build a go cart size jeep for my son. 2wd of course. Sheet metal won't be a problem. I just want it to have a little flex for looks for his buddies.

Thought about a leaf spring set up. Single main leafs from cj 5 all the way around. Home brew straight axles. Live rear axle with go cart bearings and axles. Disc brake in rear.

12-16hp Koehler engine for power plant. I feel I have a very well thought out mental plan but I'm about to lay it in paper and lookin for help.

vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have always wanted to do a lawn tractor/jeep creation,I will definitely watch this thread for updates
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

i need to find it, but a while back on Pirate i saw a guy used suzuki LJ40 axles, and a honda TRX300 engine to build a mini crawler for his son. it was pretty sweet.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4wd go carts are pretty popular from Japan now days. I can get diffs like a golf cart has for around a $100 ea new. Go cart HD tranny 2 spd with reverse for $250 new. Now all this will be set up similar to my yj. 2 drive shafts and a small tranny in center with a side shaft engine up front. 4 wheel leafs OTA of course.

As for steering it will also be similar to my yjs with some heavily modified go cart spindles from northern tool or some place similar.

I'm studying lawn mower axles, rears. To see if they can be used. I think it would look tough with two MINI axles under it on leafs. If this gets to carried away they make a diesel side shaft and I bet it could be big enough to haul me around!

This is gonna take weeks of planning. I'm gonna start with a $1000 budget "if wife allows"

Once this starts I will KEEP THIS UPDATED. Just gonna take a lot of planning. Please please check for updates. I made need some help or opinions.

Thanks
Brandon
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

this is the one, check it out.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehic...wler-kids.html

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link. I saw that on YouTube earlier. I wanna go way milder on a prototype I'd call it. Wanna keep it simple and basic. Mods can always be done later. Cut my teeth on this one then move up to have one like in link. Sami parts are hard to find in my area. Wonder what else out their has really small diffs.

Thanks
Brandon
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post
Thanks for the link. I saw that on YouTube earlier. I wanna go way milder on a prototype I'd call it. Wanna keep it simple and basic. Mods can always be done later. Cut my teeth on this one then move up to have one like in link. Sami parts are hard to find in my area. Wonder what else out their has really small diffs.

Thanks
Brandon
I was thinking more along the lines of 4 wheeler drive train. I know they are IFS but you could make it a sweet buggy. keeping it light would be the trick. Im in I have always wanted to build one "with my boys".
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ATV make it easy. But I want the challenge if a straight axle on leafs. Lots and lots of thinking but that's the best part. Then you can set back and enjoy the fruits if your labor.
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ATV make it easy. But I want the challenge if a straight axle on leafs. Lots and lots of thinking but that's the best part. Then you can set back and enjoy the fruits if your labor.
An atv drivetrain is going to be your best bet. You don't have to use there axles. I like the simplicity of the motor and tranny and transfer all in one package. The trouble is going to find solid axles that are small enough and you probably will have to regear them to even get it to move. I like the idea of this and hope you are able to make it work. The biggest thing that I think may hinder your progress is can you weld?? I'm not trying to be a dick, something of this magnitude will take welding skills.
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah I can weld. Have a Hobart mig and a Lincoln stick welder.

Built this last summer

Started as

Unread 04-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well there you go, you got the skillz. Can't wait the see what you come up with
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fabricating and doing something different is a passion of mine. I'm a union distiller by trade.
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Fabricating and doing something different is a passion of mine. I'm a union distiller by trade.
sounds like we have the same passions. I love to fab I taught myself to weld on our family ranch as a kid.( Stick welder)I used to go raid the local dumpster and pull out old bikes and take them back to the shop and weld up a chopper bikes with ape hangers. my dad and I built go karts and all kinds of contraptions.

I do like the Vdub rat rod that is sweet!!
Sorry to derail the thread I cant wait to see what you come up with on this kid jeep.
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No derailment lol it's all good. It's gonna take TIME but I can make it happen. I started planning the vrod in 1999 put it to life. I'm also self taught in welding. I build rat rod in my 10x16 yard barn.

My motto is "You will never learn, until you try."
Unread 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Badphish

cool volks rod any pics of the suspension set ups?
Badphish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.