Millermatic 250 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Millermatic 250

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Brads_nky_yj

Millermatic 250

Hola welding dudes! Ok so question for ya guys. Been saving up some coin the last couple months because I want a welder. I had originally planned of getting a Hobart Hanlder 187 from the local Tractor Supply for around $600 bones.

I want a 220V MIG because I plan on using it for many years to come, I like the versatility of the MIG and it will be my first real TOOL that I will own. (I have a bunch of tools, sockets, wrenches, bla bla but I plan on moving out probably this fall and taking my MIG with me).

Anyway, yesterday I came across an add on Craigslist for a Miller 250 MIG welder. I emailed the guy, and he quickly repsonded that it is a Millermatic 250 and is about 6 years old. He said the welder works great, just has some slight wear on the cabinet. It also includes the argon tank as well as an aluminum welding gun (he said). He is sending me some pics tonight. He is asking $700 for everything but Im sure with some cash in my hand I can get him closer to the $600 range. Best part is that he is about 10 minutes down the road from me.

Has anyone had any experience with the welder and what are your thoughts? I have welded a couple times with the MIG but not a super lot. I will basically be learning techniques and how to weld on this machine. And like I said, I would like to have something that will last me another 10-15 years if possible.

Any comments or opinions on the millermatic 250, not the 251 or 252. Thanks!

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

thats a GREAT welder..period...
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

You wont get any complaints from me on that welder. Very nice machine. It sounds like it is set up for aluminum so you may have to get a tank of mixed gas and standard wire etc. IN ANY CASE, that thing was a few grand, new.

Great deal. I would get it if I had the cash.
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Brads_nky_yj

Yeah apparently the guy selling it owns a racing shop here in the neighborhood, dirt track racing cars, and said he has built many cars with this welder. Hence the aluminum gun I suppose. He said the tank is currently empty and was just re-built (?? I guess all the stuff replaced). But I would fill it with the C02/Argon mix and get some standard wire as well. I also really have no need for the aluminum gun so I might end up selling that or trying to knock the price down lower and let him keep it.
Unread 06-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
Yeah apparently the guy selling it owns a racing shop here in the neighborhood, dirt track racing cars, and said he has built many cars with this welder. Hence the aluminum gun I suppose. He said the tank is currently empty and was just re-built (?? I guess all the stuff replaced). But I would fill it with the C02/Argon mix and get some standard wire as well. I also really have no need for the aluminum gun so I might end up selling that or trying to knock the price down lower and let him keep it.
If you get the AL gun, and do not want it, look me up.
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I saw one on cl here for 1k with some extras and was really close to jumping on it, so for 7 you're looking at a pretty screaming deal, you can hardly get a new 180 for that price.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Brads_nky_yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
If you get the AL gun, and do not want it, look me up.
Absolutely Pat!
Unread 06-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
BlueTorch

Cant go wrong with a Miller 250.

Dan

Check out our Facebook fan page!
www.facebook.com/bluetorchfab
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlueTorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
jason m
Web Wheeler

thats my machine and mine is around 9 years old now, no complaints from me. very sound machine and i like the adjuastble knobs verse the digital readouts on the 251.

i also have miller wire feeder for my generator and its over 25 years old and never skipped a beat. but yes thats a great deal on a very good machine.

jason

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

At that price grab it. . .the 252 (current version of the 250 & 251) is like $5K

Keep the aluminum gun and learn how to use it. . .good make some cash with it, it's not hard you just run significantly higher amps when you are welding aluminum vs. steel. . .

I just bought a Millermatic 211 brand new and it cost me ~$1200 with a full size tank and some extra accessories. . .that welder is great and if I could have afforded it I would have went with the 252 myself as that is what I use in the shop. . .I much prefer the digital readout to the knobs but at least the knobs are infinitely adjustable and not the click into a single setting type. . .
atomicjoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
sideways

Well
Did you get it??????????????????????
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
Bamafireman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've been using the Millermatic 250 for about 15yrs now and No complaints. Very Nice Welder!
Bamafireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
cdrake261

I know it's an old thread, but still relevant....a shop in Indy has a couple that needs new mainboards and other repairs, but gets them up to snuff including new mainboards for $1250...is $1250 worth it?
cdrake261 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.